Maserati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thats what my dealer told me. A friend of mine said that when he was in heavy traffic in London, he got a gearbox warning come on - dealer said it had got too hot because he had not used neutral.

I'm not sure this helps clutch plate wear though as the plates are apart when stationary in first gear.

Any ideas on avoiding plate wear? (apart from the obvious ones!)

Does sport mode increase or decrease wear? In sport it chages with a quick thump, rather than feeding in the clutch. I wonder which one does the most damage and by how much.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This idea may come from the old adage that you should put a stopped manual transmission into neutral so as to reduce wear on the thrust bearings of the clutch. I've never heard of a modern car losing a thrust bearing and it's usually good to be in gear so you can move quickly if necessary. I would take this with a grain of salt or at least get an expert opinion.

Marc

·
Registered
7 Posts
Most of the time I'll put it into neutral before it starts downshifting. There doesn't seem to be any good reason to have it do the down shifts and the braking is smoother.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
jimveres said:
Most of the time I'll put it into neutral before it starts downshifting. There doesn't seem to be any good reason to have it do the down shifts and the braking is smoother.
i'm a little confused as to why you would put into N in this situation.

at what speed or distance to the light are we talking about?

if your CC is going to automatically downshift to a stop, obviously the car is going at a higher speed and decelerating quite quickly. (vs it will just carry on in the same gear and roll down to a stop and pop to N itself).

if your CC is not really automatically downshifting and you intentionally downshift to engine brake for whatever reasons... holding the rev so you can get out of the light in a rolling start if you are clear in front?

compare to approaching a stop in N, when the CC blips and downshift, you will still be in gear. granted braking in N seems to be smoother, but isn't it safer to be in gear?...

·
Registered
255 Posts
The cambiocorsa down-shifts to first. At some point (speed/brake related?) it appears to disengage the clutch. If you leave the car sitting in first for 2 minutes or so it pulls itself into neutral - now why would that be necessary if the clutch was fully disengaged?

Call me paranaoid but as someone who has experienced complete failure of the hydraulic pump which operates the clutch (no fun :cry: ), and has also had to replace a clutch :roll: , I am now in the habit of pulling the box into neutral at every "safe" opportunity e.g. when rolling towards red lights knowing there is no point in allowing the cc system to downshift from 4th or third gear.
Probably doesn't make a lot of difference to wear on the system - but it makes me feel I'm doing my bit!
(let's face it the cc system is not designed for rumbling along in traffic!) :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is all nonsense. The car lists for $100k and we are told that unless we roll to a stop and put it into neutral (in some states it is actually illegal to drive a car in neutral), the clutch will prematurally fail. I have a lot of complaints with the car and although it is a beautiful car with a great engine, I will never buy another.

·
Registered
255 Posts
What do we all consider "premature" failure :?:
- the original clutch in my 02 cc coupe was just beginning to show signs of slipping after 24,000 miles.
I knew before buying the car that 20K per cluctch was to be expected for this system.
(the pump failure was apparently "very rare"!)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Regarding downshifting vs. coasting to a stop and braking:

There's an old adage that brakes are far cheaper to replace than clutches and gearboxes.

That said, it still is more fun to downshift...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Premature Clutch Wear Due to Auto/Normal "squish"

Funny I was just wondering about this today and saw this thread.

There is NO DOUBT that a slower, smoother shift on any dry clutch (or automatic for that matter if you have the ability to program the ECU) is bad for the clutch. The slower shift will allow heat build up (because the shift process that produces the heat is prolonged) among other things.

The CC system in auto mode (or even normal mode) is horrendously, slow. Smooth, but slow.

In normal highway driving, this probably matters very little as the added heat build up is dissipated between shifts. But in city driving, especially stop and go traffic, or on the track, the added heat buildup seems like it would be very significant.

If the GT has longer clutch life (does it? I do not know...) then it would seem to me that the CC system (and particularly the slow shift of Auto and Normal mode) must be at least partially at fault.

I think it would be interesting to have a poll of anyone who has had their cluth fail under 30K miles, do you normally drive in Normal, Auto or Sport mode or some combination? City or highway? For those whose clutch has survived for a longer time, same questions. Would be very interesting to know the results across all CC drivers over time.

Anyway, my first post. Love my 2002 CC that I just bought in November.
Fortunately, mine had a bad clutch to begin with so the dealer replaced it under warranty. I figure I have at least 20K miles to go now.

Jeff Norman (Chicago)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts