Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading through several posts, old and new it seems as there are many quirks to these cars... not that it's a bad thing... i've always told my girlfriends' that it's the little imperfections that let you appreciate beauty as a whole so much more... or some dribble to that extent, it worked at the time. Anyway, would it be practical to compile all of these quirks on one thread? Maybe even some of the not so common procedures that are in the manual for those who did not get one/lost whatever? I know i'm the FNG at this point but thought it might be helpful to us noobs.

Cheers

·
Registered
206 Posts
From recent threads....I can think of three

1. Never reverse uphill or any incline (for CC trans)
2. Never drive in Auto mode & Always in Sport mode (for CC trans)
3. Check engine oil after fully warm and engine running.

I'll let others continue the list.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
The biggest "quirk" with the Coupe/Spyder is the cambiocorsa transmission.

The engine has a lot of pull in all gears, though really comes alive after 3k RPMs, but I tend to drive the car in a high gear in the city and have a comfortable ride with RPMs as low as 1500-2000. Don't blast it till the water temperature reaches about halfway.

Back to the transmission. The cambiocorsa needs to be driven in manual mode (never use auto, waste of time and damages the clutch in the long run) and ideally sport mode on, so to obtain best performance at all times.

It is essentially the same as a manual transmission, though the clutch is operated electronically rather than via a pedal, so when changing gears up, you'd be best off to slightly release the gas pedal. You don't have to, but it helps smooth the change.

You can let the car change down for yourself when slowing down, though manually shifting down is way more fun.

Try avoiding the following things to prevent damagig the clutch:
1. Reversing into inclines
2. Feathering the accelerator in stop-go traffic (best to let some space build ahead of you and then move forward decisively)

Some people prefer to put the car in neutral at red lights. I don't, as I don't want to lose the ability to move the car, but there have been debates on this point previously.

Can't think of anything else right now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had my '04 CC for a little over 2 months now.. It took me 9-day's just to figure out how to drive the thing and boy did it ever turn into a differnt car at that point! Anyways, the tips are great! Thank you very much piratechef for asking a great question.... Bigfoot and PKGS, you are both awesome for the insightful info. I suspected to never use the 'auto' mode due to the way the clutch engaged (manual is way more fun anyway) but have been wondering if PWR mode is better on the clutch since it shifts faster (less wear). Today I was constantly thinking about it but didn't move into PWR mode. . Well I know better now... thank you!

Oh, why do some people call it sport mode when engaging the fast shifting mode when it really reads 'PWR' on my CC? We all seem to have the MSP switch to turn off that traction control but I noticed some are power and some are sport mode buttons for what I beilieve to be the fast shifting modes... Is there a difference?

Neal

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Neal, I believe the button is called "PWR" for non skyhook models and "Sport" for the versions with skyhook.

I may be wrong though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
With the manual 6 speed does the PWR or SPORT mode change just engine response? Obivious suspension would be the same based on cars options.

Is backing uphill hard on the clutch because of the CC trans or the design of the clutch. MEaning do 6 speed manuals have to be careful with this as well?

·
Registered
905 Posts
To reduce clutch wear, I tend to downshift only down to 3rd gear, do a little more engine braking in 3rd, and then pull the paddes (go into neutral) and use the brakes for the final stopping. Then I paddle into first.

I sometimes downshift into 2nd on agressive turns. But overall I avoid downshifts into both 1st and 2nd.

Anyone else drive like this? Is there anything absurd about it?

·
Registered
177 Posts
i have notice that when it is cold

that my coupe gt responds better if i rev a bit higher in first and then shift directly to third bypassing second. It is smoother, if timed to revvs, has adequate pull and is more comfortable. just my own anectodal tip.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Backing uphill

..is especially hard on the clutch with a CC transmission because the clutch does not fully engage in reverse as I understand it. Thus, try to limit backing up as much as possible. On the manual clutch GT version I do not see how this could be a problem, but then again it is an Italian. :D

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
648 Posts
..is especially hard on the clutch with a CC transmission because the clutch does not fully engage in reverse as I understand it. Thus, try to limit backing up as much as possible. On the manual clutch GT version I do not see how this could be a problem, but then again it is an Italian. :D
Correct. This only applies to the CC. In reverse the CC never fully engages the reverse gear thus your always "slipping" the clutch and wearing it down - just like when you feather the clutch peddle on a manual. In the manual, like all manuals, once you fully release the clutch, your in gear and no longer wearing the clutch down.

On downshifting - I tend to downshift to 2nd and then to neutral and brake to a stop. For now I always put her in neutral at a stop light as I have not been able to confirm that if you have the brake pedal depressed that the clutch is fully disengaged. So rather than sit at a light wondering if the clutch is not slipping, I leave her in neutral and wait for some room ahead before I put her in gear.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am an 07 QP owner (sorry Coupe owners for intruding) but thought that I would add that a $100k car should not have squeaky brakes! I love the car and this is a little thing that does not affect performance, but it is very annoying. The dealership says to suck it up and that there is no way to fix it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone.... BF... exactly what i was getting at. This should save a lot of us noobs some money and aggravation... i guess calling them quirks is a bit off the mark, let's just say, things you should know before turning the key.

Cheers

·
Registered
255 Posts
As posted elsewhere - beware parking the car out of gear!

My coupe would not stay still on even a slight incline unless 1st gear engaged.
My GS needs to be in gear and handbrake firnly on!
Otherwise these cars are (very slowly) on the move!

But my favourite answer to the original question is "drive it like you just stole it!"

·
Registered
196 Posts
To reduce clutch wear, I tend to downshift only down to 3rd gear, do a little more engine braking in 3rd, and then pull the paddes (go into neutral) and use the brakes for the final stopping. Then I paddle into first.

I sometimes downshift into 2nd on agressive turns. But overall I avoid downshifts into both 1st and 2nd.

Anyone else drive like this? Is there anything absurd about it?
All the more evidence that the CC should be driven like a true manual. it is what I do in manual shift cars.

·
Registered
2006 Gransport LE
648 Posts
As posted elsewhere - beware parking the car out of gear!

My coupe would not stay still on even a slight incline unless 1st gear engaged.
My GS needs to be in gear and handbrake firnly on!
Otherwise these cars are (very slowly) on the move!

But my favourite answer to the original question is "drive it like you just stole it!"
I park my car on an incline all the time and my handbrake holds fine. It's mechanical so all you need to do is tighten it up - its a quick fix

1 - 20 of 43 Posts