Maserati Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into the best way of adding a hardwired connection for a Sirius unit and an iPod. I've read all the threads and am not really interested in dropping significant money on a custom install or a new head unit and (for example) the Alpine Hub unit.

What I may just do is put an FM adapter inline with the FM antenna. But I don't know how to get to the back of the Blaupunkt unit on the QP

Hints/Pics? Thanks in advance

dave

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've been looking into the best way of adding a hardwired connection for a Sirius unit and an iPod. I've read all the threads and am not really interested in dropping significant money on a custom install or a new head unit and (for example) the Alpine Hub unit.

What I may just do is put an FM adapter inline with the FM antenna. But I don't know how to get to the back of the Blaupunkt unit on the QP

Hints/Pics? Thanks in advance

dave
Hi Dave,

-Remove the vent, (2) #2 Philips Head screws behind that
-Pull straight up and hard on the shifter to remove that
-Remove rubber under each cup holder, allen head screw there
-Remove shifeter indicator, allen head screw under there.( Be very careful unplugging that part, they tend to have a bad solder joint and brake very easily. 350.00 part)
-Remove ashtray and allen head screw under that.
-Open center console and lift the center piece around shifter out and unplug cigarette lighter, led for cup holders, and emergency brake and remove
-Remove (2) #2 Philip head screw under wood grain. Dash should then pop out. Unplug all the plugs behind radio and put on bench.

I really do reccomend you have your local car audio shop do this. It is pretty difficult and a pain in the rear to get back in, especially your first time. It will take you all day, if not more. Let me know what area you are in and I can find a qualified installer if you would like.

As for the Ipod you can interupt the changer with a switch wich should also be professionally done and the only way you can do satalite radio is by having a FM mod. It is very difficult to run the satalite antenna to the rear. Good luck and I highly reccomend you leave this up to a professional....
-

·
Registered
141 Posts
Dave,
AA79 is correct. His removal instructions are pretty good, I only want to add that you protect the radio with a folded towel when pulling the parking brake handle off. And protect ALL the leather around the radio panel. It is a delicate procedure getting access to the back of the radio but not impossible, be patient and careful and you can do it, even though it is better left to a pro.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Dave,
AA79 is correct. His removal instructions are pretty good, I only want to add that you protect the radio with a folded towel when pulling the parking brake handle off. And protect ALL the leather around the radio panel. It is a delicate procedure getting access to the back of the radio but not impossible, be patient and careful and you can do it, even though it is better left to a pro.
Best of luck.
Ya the carpet is very important part of the removal to protect the wood or carbon dash and buttons from the shifter when removing. Good call Kent.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, your notes are sufficiently comprehensive to make it clear that I won't be doing the work. I have run a satellite antenna successfully, but it just sits on the back parcel shelf and gives adequate signal.

I was hoping that the access was relatively simple, which is what is implied in other threads discussing Coupe etc.

Maybe I'll just locate a base unit for the satellite and drive the head through the FM transmission in the satellite unit itself. Works well enough now, but would be a neater install

dave

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well, your notes are sufficiently comprehensive to make it clear that I won't be doing the work. I have run a satellite antenna successfully, but it just sits on the back parcel shelf and gives adequate signal.
I did the same thing after a "rogue" radio station appeared on my receiving station. I moved the antenna to the rear parcel shelf and used double sticky tape on the back of the antenna and attached it to the center speaker grill. It immediately put an end to the reception of the rogue station. Ironically, a day after I moved the antenna, I received an email from XM Radio that essentially notified me that my radio was not FCC compliant and to remedy the situation XM would pay for a professional install of a hardwire connection.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a similar thing regarding my Sirius unit, but I am sure that the amount paid by Sirius or XM wouldn't cover a good install. My fear is that it'll just cover a local botch job. Perhaps an unreasonable assumption, but that was my reaction, nevertheless

dave

·
Registered
119 Posts
I got a similar thing regarding my Sirius unit, but I am sure that the amount paid by Sirius or XM wouldn't cover a good install. My fear is that it'll just cover a local botch job. Perhaps an unreasonable assumption, but that was my reaction, nevertheless

dave
If you can tell me the area you are in I could probally put you in touch with a good installer that will be able to help you out...

·
Registered
250 Posts
I got a similar thing regarding my Sirius unit, but I am sure that the amount paid by Sirius or XM wouldn't cover a good install. My fear is that it'll just cover a local botch job.
Yes, I came to the same conclusion and decided to stick with the antenna on the parcel shelf instead of the free hardwire install. The XM works well and even overrides known strong stations in my area ever since I did the relocation.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I sell a Maserati iPod Mod for Coupes. I've been working with one QP customer to get this mod to work with QP, and we finally got it working.

BUT, we interconnected the Y-cable I sell where the CD changer is, instead trying to access the back of the headunit. Seems much easier, AND LESS RISKY (to all the sourounding parts).

Since you all seem more interested in XM/Sirius instead of iPods, I can have my connector terminate in a standard headphone jack, which you can connect to your XM/Sirius or other audio device.

Entire setup plus shipping is around $130 for the QP. If you would still like your CD changer to work, I can add some switches, which adds to the price.

Please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]. You can also do a search on ebay for "Blaupunkt Maserati" and checkout my item.

Sincerely, DeloreanPilot
[email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts