Maserati Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was initially only interested in the conventional automatic Gran Turismo or Quattroporte to avoid the headaches I have heard of the CambioCorsa/Duo Select ... But I really never looked into the validity of this. Are CambioCorsa/Duo Select that problematic?

Since I am not going to give away my 996TT (market to sell any high end car is awful) I decided to go for an used Quattroporte instead of a new Gran Turismo.

There are great deals on used Quattroportes with the Duo Select. What are the facts behind the fear of this transmission? :confused:

Or should I stick to my original plan to look for a car with a conventional auto tranny, available only in 2007+ cars, correct?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I were to buy a QP, I would get it with the auto transmission. Avoid the hassle. Though I love the CambioCorsa on my GS.
Thank you BigFoot. That is the plan. I am still keeping my 911 if I need that manual/go-kart feeling fix...

·
Registered
793 Posts
---Are CambioCorsa/Duo Select that problematic?
---
Is a school bus yellow?

Stay with your original plan unless you have a few thousand $'s to throw away every so often!

It is similar to the F1 in Ferrari's. It's electro/hydraulically controlled. It's a nightmare longterm. As that system ages it develops more issues. It likes to eat clutches.

And with the new double clutch tranny being introduced in the Ferrari California Ferrari has already said the new tranny is thier future choice.

F1/DuoSelect is a neat idea but it's a gadget. Gadgets are quirky.

If you are used to Porsche reliability, stay with an 07 or later auto tranny in the Maserati.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've got 81,000 miles on my 05 QP. I've had the clutch replaced twice; otherwise no problems.

I guess your answer lies in your reason for buying the car. Cruising the Blvd; go auto (or Lexus). For performance, twisties, mountain roads and such go manual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts