Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or do other folks seem to get challenged to a street race on a regular basis when driving the Maserati? This never happens to me when I drive the 4Runner or my wife's Volvo, but when I take out the GS, here are some incidents that have happened:

- Driving on 580, a Ford Mustang Cobra (pre-2007ish) pulls up next to me, downshifts and revs the engine while staring me down. He stays neck and neck with me for about 5 miles before he pulls off. I didn't race as we were already going 80 mph and there was some traffic ahead.
- Driving on Woodside Road toward Skyline (which is a very windy road) a Nissan 350Z prop car from The Fast and the Furious started tailing me. I accelerated through the curves to shake him, but he was determined to stay on my tail. FWIT my wife was not happy with racing through the curves.
- Driving on Bollinger Road getting on to 680 I shoot for pole position so I can fly through the cloverleaf and slingshot onto the freeway. I noticed that a Mercedes s55 AMG shot in behind me to do the same and we both hit the freeway at at least 90 mph, then got to 120mph before I let off the gas. He kept going.
- Countless times sitting at a light only to hear the car next to me revving his engine trying to get me to bite when the light turns green.

Unique or common?

RP

·
Registered
518 Posts
I would say common...people do that all the time around here I usually ignore it...especially since most of them are just kids that cant drive in the first place.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My Coupe seems to inspire every rice-boy and dork in a hyundai to show what HIS car can do. They ride in my blind spot awhile, probably drooling on themselves, then take off in a blast of blue smoke.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have gotten "What does it take in life to own one of those?" 3 times and I have only had the car since last weekend.
1 challenge so far from a Saleen Mustang, ignored it because the street was busy and I am still not greatly smooth on the upshifts hahah

·
Registered
62 Posts
You're in a Maserati, you've already won..

At least my husband tells me that. It's easy in his 550, few are stupid enough to challenge a Ferrari and they are easy to ignore.

My GS, on the other hand, seems to come stock with this little Italian fellow called Luigi who sits on the dash and yells at me - 'Come on now, show them what we've got! Floor it! What are you, some kinda p***y!? Just nail it!' Man, this car is bad for me.. :D

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
You're in a Maserati, you've already won..

At least my husband tells me that. It's easy in his 550, few are stupid enough to challenge a Ferrari and they are easy to ignore.

My GS, on the other hand, seems to come stock with this little Italian fellow called Luigi who sits on the dash and yells at me - 'Come on now, show them what we've got! Floor it! What are you, some kinda p***y!? Just nail it!' Man, this car is bad for me.. :D
Squid... You crack me up girl! I'm an ex Viper pilot..... You know, the car with no traction control OR anti-lock brakes..... Well, needless to say I drive a lot with MSP off. This means a lot of white smoke and sideways launches. I had a guy in a Z06 challenge me but when he saw me smoke the tires while still at the red light, he chickened out... :cool: I love this car!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have gotten "What does it take in life to own one of those?" 3 times and I have only had the car since last weekend.
1 challenge so far from a Saleen Mustang, ignored it because the street was busy and I am still not greatly smooth on the upshifts hahah
I've had my GS for 8 months, and it took me a while to get used to keeping the pedal down while shifting. In sport mode, it actually shifts so much better at 5K RPMs when the pedal is kept down...no let up. Don't try this with your friend's stick shift :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
who challenge a 4Runner or Volvo???????????????

i get zero challenges in the QP or 90th spyder at the light.
however, i do occassionally have people following them at whatever speed i am at.... kind of annoying.. you slow down so that they can pass you, and they don't. (chicken shit). you speed up and they try to catch up.

dont think they want to race.. they might want to see the maserati or hear the exhaust?

·
Registered
86 Posts
It is pretty nice to be challenged by other supercars, but when it comes to crappy, shitty, ugly, nasty, bathtubs with wheels, you only think....
Oh God is it me or my maser has an AS.......LE magnet on the tail!!!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Mostly get rice burners sitting in my blind spot. There's a local dude with a GT3 I'd like to brawl with. Porchses and Mercedes just look at me (or, my car, actually) and wish they weren't stuck in "everycar". Vettes don't do anything. These guys attach some faux high-minded dignity with owning that car. I was doing some runs at dawn at pretty high speed a few weeks ago, guy in a Vette just didn't want to play and I assume he had no balls anyway.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice Thread.

What i do when they are doing that with cheap or old so called 'sport' cars is just play the game at the red light, make a lot of rpm, and when it goes to green and the other guy jumps full trottle, i just leave at a very very slow pace... HAHAHA

Reverse psychology, i like that. What are they thinking ? Trying to cramp my style??!! no way bunch of proletarian muppets !! go away, you know you're ugly and your mom dresses you funny ?

·
Registered
722 Posts
You guys have "race me" signs on your bumper? I've have many "cool car" comments from adjacent lanes (and one carload of women in a BMW who took pulled along and took pix at 75mph) but zero challenges.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Everytime I go out...

somebody wants to race but it's gotten to the point that around my house when I take out the Maserati the rest of the locals here don't want to play, they go the other way or just don't come out anymore.

The Subaru's are the best, they think they are fast but you just play cat and mouse with them. The new Charger SRT-8's are okay, but not fast, the M3 is a dog, M5/M6 will run to about 120 with you when they start slowing in acceleration and vettes don't want to play, I had one vette, C5, on the highway one night try to get me to run so we both hit it and at 115 or 120 I started pulling away, and at 140 he took the exit and left the highway. I have eaten a new SRT-8 Charger with a modified 426 CI with Nitrous, started pulling away from him and his buddy at around 90, the day my speedo hit 170, and his comment to me was "I hung with you for a little while"..

I got smoked by a F430 Scuderia here in Denver, we both took the on ramp to I-25 south bound from 136th avenue. I was leading and he was behind me when we started down the ramp. Half way down the ramp he was ahead of me, when I hit the highway at 125, he was 15 to 20 car lengths ahead of me and gone..

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am getting it

I've had my GS for 8 months, and it took me a while to get used to keeping the pedal down while shifting. In sport mode, it actually shifts so much better at 5K RPMs when the pedal is kept down...no let up. Don't try this with your friend's stick shift :)
It is spot on perfect above 5krpm. It's just hard to always stay in that range. I feel that under 5krpm a stiff press and timed light lift as you upshift makes for a smooth shift. If I don't do that it's a bit rough and my logic is if it is smooth it has to better. Is that correct thinking? Same on the downshifts, I notice that an added throttle blip from me makes the downshift even smoother.

No matter really, it just completely a blast to drive. Why I am sitting here typing when the sun is out and it's 67 outside. I should be driving. ;)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
The "good" shifts in terms of speed and performance happen at redline with the foot pressing the pedal down. It isnt smooth at ALL... it is whiplash like ;]

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Buzz,

How do you smoke the tires while stopped? Doesnt that also F up your cliutch?

Ali, I just floor it... The car kind of jumps up and the tires spin but I don't go anywhere (maybe a little sideways). White smoke and I've moved maybe 5 feet. Scares the crap out of the people around you :D

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
You guys have "race me" signs on your bumper? I've have many "cool car" comments from adjacent lanes (and one carload of women in a BMW who took pulled along and took pix at 75mph) but zero challenges.

You have you be kidding! I get challenged on a daily basis. Sometimes I take the challenge and sometimes I dont. My favorite: A guy in a hopped up Mustang 5.0 at the light. My Vanentine One is beeping like crazy and the arrow is pointing straight ahead. When the light changed I floored it for about 2 seconds. The guy took off like a mad man. About 20 seconds later I pass him just as the cop's lights turn on.... I love my V1

1 - 20 of 28 Posts