Maserati Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,091 Posts
Just to point out that Grimaldi are not part of Eurospares (unless it's recently changed) they just have offices across the road.
If anyone wants a view of Grimaldi, please feel free to DM me

C

·
Super Moderator
4,091 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Lots of people have tried to reline a Maserati clutch. I can't remember a single successful report.

C
I do believe Catman the company I mentioned did a reline job for Bakmor on a 4200 clutch that was successful the last time I spoke to them which was over a year ago now but worth a check beforehand everything is still positive. There was a guy who did them near me(Herringswell,Suffolk) mostly Ferraris who has closed down now.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
I wrote extensively about my experience with my re-lined clutch on the QP. I was one of the rare few (if not the only one) who used it from new throughout its entire useful life - approximately 60K miles. I don't recommend them for a number of reasons. Aside from a number of reports of unreliability (TCU setting issues, material breaking apart, unusual or unpredicable performance, etc.), the break in time was extensive and the material put unnecessary stress on the bearings and clutch housing. Furthermore, the savings in price means very little when your next teardown from a bad F1 sensor, leaking thrust bearing, or whatever, puts you right in the same boat where you're replacing it anyway due to labor costs. Valeo makes the most reliable clutches available with the most predictable performance, hands down. This added security is worth a few hundred extra bucks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wrote extensively about my experience with my re-lined clutch on the QP. I was one of the rare few (if not the only one) who used it from new throughout its entire useful life - approximately 60K miles. I don't recommend them for a number of reasons. Aside from a number of reports of unreliability (TCU setting issues, material breaking apart, unusual or unpredicable performance, etc.), the break in time was extensive and the material put unnecessary stress on the bearings and clutch housing. Furthermore, the savings in price means very little when your next teardown from a bad F1 sensor, leaking thrust bearing, or whatever, puts you right in the same boat where you're replacing it anyway due to labor costs. Valeo makes the most reliable clutches available with the most predictable performance, hands down. This added security is worth a few hundred extra bucks.
When I spoke to the company near me, remember the name now it was called Mad Dog Clutches the owner said he could only reline clutches with a manual gearbox set up NOT F1, this may be the case with the other company I mention. Going by your experiences it obviously needs investigation. Even Valeo clutches bought new need scrutiny as you need to make sure you are buying an uprated one and not an old stock item that was not uprated, because the rarity of the manual cars I guess they are not a big seller and some stock could've been hanging around for years.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Gentlemen,

Good evening. I am probably the least fiscally gifted on this forum. My Gransport had 39,xxx miles and change when the clutch went out. I researched all the options here in the States. At the end of the day, I went to the Ferrari/Maserati dealership to have my clutch installed. I had the throw-out bearing replaced and all the essential goodies. Yes, it’s expensive, but honestly, it’s worth using genuine parts. I am pals with the Ferrari mechanic here who works in my sled - I believe that buying genuine factory OEM parts is the way to go. I hope I haven’t offended anyone or any mechanic on here but my experience has been flawless withthe dealership. When I purchased the car from Maserati of Orlando, I started buying clutch components and when it was time, I already had the parts. I believe when it comes to the Clutch, you can’t sacrifice to save a few bucks. It trying to offend anyone - just sharing. I am trying to find my receipt with all that was done. Once I find it, I will post.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
39 Posts
Gentlemen,

Good evening. I am probably the least fiscally gifted on this forum. My Gransport had 39,xxx miles and change when the clutch went out. I researched all the options here in the States. At the end of the day, I went to the Ferrari/Maserati dealership to have my clutch installed. I had the throw-out bearing replaced and all the essential goodies. Yes, it’s expensive, but honestly, it’s worth using genuine parts. I am pals with the Ferrari mechanic here who works in my sled - I believe that buying genuine factory OEM parts is the way to go. I hope I haven’t offended anyone or any mechanic on here but my experience has been flawless withthe dealership. When I purchased the car from Maserati of Orlando, I started buying clutch components and when it was time, I already had the parts. I believe when it comes to the Clutch, you can’t sacrifice to save a few bucks. It trying to offend anyone - just sharing. I am trying to find my receipt with all that was done. Once I find it, I will post.

Kindly,
Stephen
You are quite right Stephen especially as you have the CC F1 paddleshift set up.
I don't know the science about it but Mad Dog could reline a clutch with a manual gearbox set up but not one with CC paddleshift.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Careful driving with a manual transmission and the clutch should last very long, neutral when stationary, not too much clutch slip when changing gear.
From the info I've garnered on manual transmission cars is that early cars 01/02 might have the weaker clutch and can be known to break the fingers at a low mileage, 03 on and the clutch is more robust and the first thing to go as in my case was the release bearing making a nasty noise. Luckily for me I addressed the problem pronto, the old release bearing had a nasty grating noise caused by losing it's grease, if this had eventually seized I reckon it could've acted like a angle grinder on the fingers and end up with a scenario like the early clutches breaking the fingers.
Feel free to correct me I'm still learning.

·
Super Moderator
4,091 Posts
When I spoke to the company near me, remember the name now it was called Mad Dog Clutches the owner said he could only reline clutches with a manual gearbox set up NOT F1, this may be the case with the other company I mention. Going by your experiences it obviously needs investigation. Even Valeo clutches bought new need scrutiny as you need to make sure you are buying an uprated one and not an old stock item that was not uprated, because the rarity of the manual cars I guess they are not a big seller and some stock could've been hanging around for years.
Mad Dog made a big deal, I recall, about kevlar clutches for CC cars. It all went a bit wrong. Seems like they've withdrawn their original stance.

C

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mad Dog made a big deal, I recall, about kevlar clutches for CC cars. It all went a bit wrong. Seems like they've withdrawn their original stance.

C

C
The company is no longer going,I think he called it a day due to ill health.
When I spoke to him about 18 months ago when he was still in business he said he would reline a clutch for a manual transmission car but not a Cambiocorsa paddleshift, it might of been of been initally thinking he could do cars with a CC gearshift but they failed.
Check out post number 19 by masertel referring to his manual transmission car.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
Gentlemen,

Kindly,
Stephen
Wow, you bought your own clutch components and FM Central Florida installed? Dave must really, really, really like you.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Good morning sir - no, lol. Boardwalk Ferrari/Maserati of Plano did the install. I purchased the car in Florida many years ago :).

Kindly,
Stephen

41 - 58 of 58 Posts