Maserati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
Flywheel is expensive ($800) and doesn't generally need to be replaced unless burnt from too much low-speed creeping.
Throw-out bearing is hit-or-miss, depends on mileage. Most are good for at least two clutch plates before they start to leak. Sensor is also hit or miss but if you leave it in and it goes bad later you just have to dismantle the whole clutch again (ask me how I know).
The factory F136 flywheel is $300 brand new in the Ferrari box, or $100 to resurface it. I've done both. I always recommend replacing that due to its low cost. If anyone charges $800, then that is pure robbery. I know that parts markup is part of business but not to that extent.

While you have that off, you may want to replace the spigot as well.

As for the F1 sensor, they can fail out of the box or they can last forever. They typically don't, but the point is there is no way to predict failure.

3,683 Posts
I'm not doing any clutches for 3k$...All our clutch jobs get a new F1 sensor and slave cylinder...The only way you do clutches for 3K$ is start deleting the actual parts replaced and/or using aftermarket rebuilt clutches...You can't compare apples to oranges as the numbers simply don't work...A new OE clutch is not cheap these days and have been going up in price....Jason

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
The factory F136 flywheel is $300 brand new in the Ferrari box, or $100 to resurface it. I've done both. I always recommend replacing that due to its low cost. If anyone charges $800, then that is pure robbery. I know that parts markup is part of business but not to that extent.

While you have that off, you may want to replace the spigot as well.

As for the F1 sensor, they can fail out of the box or they can last forever. They typically don't, but the point is there is no way to predict failure.
The $800 flywheel quote is direct from Stevens Creek Maserati of San Jose, back in 2017.

The $3,000 clutch job was quoted and done on my QP at Roselli Foreign Cars also in 2017... it may have increased by now due to parts price increases. Stevens Creek Maserati quoted $7300 at that same time for the job without flywheel, $8100 with flywheel.

·
Super Moderator
3,343 Posts
The $800 flywheel quote is direct from Stevens Creek Maserati of San Jose, back in 2017.

The $3,000 clutch job was quoted and done on my QP at Roselli Foreign Cars also in 2017... it may have increased by now due to parts price increases. Stevens Creek Maserati quoted $7300 at that same time for the job without flywheel, $8100 with flywheel.
There's labor in that $800 and wow! that's too much for that job. It seems as though they would prefer that you go somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
There's labor in that $800 and wow! that's too much for that job. It seems as though they would prefer that you go somewhere else.
Hey, the dealer wanted $7,100+ to replace my EV line. I bought it for $130 and replaced it in one day. How do they say it in Italy? Bada-bing?

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Oh absolutely. It is well established that Maserati dealers do not want to work on the "Ferrari era" cars. The Bakersfield dealership told me to forget it, unambiguously. The San Jose dealer told me they had only one tech who was qualified to do the work, and he was away for 3 weeks.

3,683 Posts
We still never concluded what you are getting for 3k$? A new OE clutch is around 1900.00 these days, a F1 sensor around 400.00, and a slave cylinder around 500.00...I'm curious how they are doing it for 3k$ ? So is everyone else it appears...Jason

·
Super Moderator
3,343 Posts
Oh absolutely. It is well established that Maserati dealers do not want to work on the "Ferrari era" cars. The Bakersfield dealership told me to forget it, unambiguously. The San Jose dealer told me they had only one tech who was qualified to do the work, and he was away for 3 weeks.
We still never concluded what you are getting for 3k$? A new OE clutch is around 1900.00 these days, a F1 sensor around 400.00, and a slave cylinder around 500.00...I'm curious how they are doing it for 3k$ ? So is everyone else it appears...Jason
7300 without removing the flywheel is too high, and 3000 is too low unless it's labor only, then it's a little high. Definitely curious what they're doing for 3k even a couple of years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
Well, the early 2005s are a little cheaper on parts. I'd need to see the vin to verify but I know Sean's car takes the less expensive parts like mine. I paid $1,030 for the Valeo clutch and around $250 for the sensor sealed in the Ferrari packaging. The flywheel was around $300 also in the Ferrari packaging. I, also, have an earlier model. All was directly ordered from Italy and took about 3-4 weeks. Now the 2006 MY cars have a more expensive clutch, around $1,900. The F1 sensor is not interchangeable either. The first time I ordered a sensor, it was over $700. Now it's down. Don't know why. Don't care lol. I got the Hill Engineering bearing for $500 and it came with the seals. The OEM comes without seals, FYI. I was pissed the first time lol.

Regardless, the $3k price is too low, even if the shop is making no money on the parts. For an experienced shop, a good labor rate would be $2K-$2,500, which should put the bare-bones job at about $4,500 on a really good day, maybe closer to $5K.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Here is a picture of their invoice. You can see that, along with other work being done, it lists "1 clutch assembly" in the parts column for $1450, and the labor column shows "R&R clutch assembly" for $1500.

Their nominal rate is $150/hour so that's 10 hours of labor... isn't that enough?

Attachments

3,683 Posts
So no F1 sensor and no slave cylinder...You have the early clutch as Eric said so that contributes to the lower price...10 hr is kinda low, but we are replacing the F1 sensor and slave cylinder...Jason

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
My shop is pretty gentle on the labor hours sometimes... they have a high nominal rate (50% higher than my Porsche shop had) and then don't charge all the applicable hours. They can also save money on parts by stocking up and buying in bulk. When you go there for a clutch in a Maserati from that era, they have the parts sitting on the shelf.

3,683 Posts
I think if you look at the the title of the thread then it can vary...That was kinda my point...You have different clutches for different cars and different shops are replacing various items as they see fit...You gotta just compare what you are actually getting..Nothing wrong with Sean's place...They look pretty professional...Jason

·
Registered
5 Posts
The bit of info I've garnered over the last year on the manual 6 speed is.
Early clutches could be prone to fingers(tangs) breaking off so it's not unusual to find a clutch replacement on early manual 6 speed cars at relatively low miles, late 2003 on cars tend to last longer and normally find the release bearing starts making a noise before the clutch is worn, if the release bearing eventually seizes it doesn't do the tangs on the clutch much good either.
Having just had my release bearing and pilot bearing changed at 69000 miles the clutch was half worn, the labour rate for the job here in the UK was £550=$715
Feel free to correct me as my knowledge is very limited.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Who did your clutch bearing? Mines started making a noise in neutral when warm. Not sure who I should take it too.
Hi there Rossocrema
I got my release bearing and pilot bearing from Eurospares in Halstead, Essex and a garage called Bakmor Auto Services in Stanton in Suffolk did the replacement, been over a year now and no problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there Rossocrema
I got my release bearing and pilot bearing from Eurospares in Halstead, Essex and a garage called Bakmor Auto Services in Stanton in Suffolk did the replacement, been over a year now and no problems.
Ok great thanku

21 - 40 of 58 Posts