Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much is everyone getting charged for an oil change? What is the recommended oil change intervals?

Thanks,
Zearnold

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Under $200.

·
Registered
390 Posts
bundas said:
do my own about every 3000 with filter, oil/air
I was under the impression that that was really hard? With the dry sump whatchamagiggit? Is there a writeup as to how to do it anywhere?

I still go to the dealer and they charge a bit under $300...it costs me about $36 to do my truck at JiffyLube, hehe. I do my bikes on my own.

·
Registered
173 Posts
squid said:
I was under the impression that that was really hard? With the dry sump whatchamagiggit? Is there a writeup as to how to do it anywhere?

I still go to the dealer and they charge a bit under $300...it costs me about $36 to do my truck at JiffyLube, hehe. I do my bikes on my own.
It is not hard if you have the right tool. You have to take off 2 plugs to drain the oil, one under the engine and one under the oil tank on the right side of the car. The drain plug under the engine need 12mm hex key(available at Sears). The other one, I use normal wrench to get it out(cannot remember what size). So the total is about $90 plus my own labor.

I think we maybe able to bring our car to oil change shop if they are not afraid to do the job on the exotic. Just bring the filter and buy their Synthetic oil and tell them where to take the drain plugs off.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I would never, ever, EVER let an "oil change shop" touch the Maserati. Most of those guys failed the fryer test at McD's...and in no way should you simply put a "generic" synthetic oil in your very expensive Ferrari engine...

·
Registered
173 Posts
RickBullotta said:
I would never, ever, EVER let an "oil change shop" touch the Maserati. Most of those guys failed the fryer test at McD's...and in no way should you simply put a "generic" synthetic oil in your very expensive Ferrari engine...
Oil change is actually a very easy job. Screw off the plugs, let oil drain then fill up. Frying is actually harder....have to look when is the good time to take the food out. Sometimes my food turn to be carbon black....LOL. If they allow me to drive my car in and out of service bay and I could look closely what they are doing, I have no problem with oil change shop. I usaually use Mobile1 but I think if the generic Synthetic oil pass the same standard test, it should be fine. Or you maybe able to bring your own oil.

·
Registered
431 Posts
oil change help please (UK)

I think Maserati recommend Agip but FM dealers in UK use shell helix ultra 5W-40. (something to do with recent sponsorship deal with Ferrari). I need a slight top up and bought 4L for £34 (or £14 for a litre). Very expensive.
Car takes 8L by the way.
I dont know whether to just top up a litre and wait for 18K service or just do an oil change myself. Car has 14K mileage at the moment. Just worried about the TWO drain plugs and the dry sump issue. All cars I have changed oil did not have a dry sump and only had one drain plug.
How many oil filters does the 42 have-if its not a silly question?

Do I need a special tool to remove the oil filter or just unscrew in the usual way? Is it easy to get at on the ramp?(under the car or through the bonnet(hood)?

·
Registered
173 Posts
007 said:
How many oil filters does the 42 have-if its not a silly question?

Do I need a special tool to remove the oil filter or just unscrew in the usual way? Is it easy to get at on the ramp?(under the car or through the bonnet(hood)?
There is one oil filter. Just unscrew like usual. I get it from under the car. It is the only way, i think. It is quite easy to reach from under the car.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Oil changes cost me a couple hundred dollars. The independent Ferrari mechanic who works on my Dino 308 GT/4 is starting to take in Maser's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts