Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this a true overdrive? I rarely get to it in the city but use it on the freeway for gas mileage; any input?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I generally keep the engine RPM's around 3500 +/- as I drive around town; that is the criteria I use for selecting the appropriate gear.
Highway driving generally has me using 6th.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Is this a true overdrive? I rarely get to it in the city but use it on the freeway for gas mileage; any input?
The car is geared for 177mph in 6th gear at redline, so it is not an overdrive.

If you follow the UP on the dashboard, it will put you in 6th gear at about 35mph.
The engine has enough torque to pull the gear.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks but the "up" I believe is on the CC?

Don't think the manual 6 speed has an "up shift" light...if it does I have not noticed it since I bought it; but thanks for the info on the 6th gear and 170mph plus; that's too scarey for me.........

·
Registered
528 Posts
Don't think the manual 6 speed has an "up shift" light...if it does I have not noticed it since I bought it; but thanks for the info on the 6th gear and 170mph plus; that's too scarey for me.........
I have a 6M/T.
The up light is there. It is where the outside temperature indicator is.
You have to drive like an old lady to see the "up" light illuminate.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fred, thnx!

still learning about these cars; maybe that is why I have never noticed it, I am just under the old lady age;lol, seriously, thnx for the correction, I AM GOING TO LOOK FOR IT TODAY! This is why I love this forum!:)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Doc, I had a chance to drive the car the other day, paying attention to the 1-2 shift.
While I have to keep pressure to the left to overcome the centering spring, the shift is straight down.
If you still have the slight dog leg you talked about before, you may want to get the shift linkage adjusted.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've used 6th on long open highway drives but that's about it. For real driving, it's too tall even for 100MPH. I owned the car for a week before I even tried 6th, just to make sure it worked.

I usually do most of my driving at 3500-5500 RPM. I'm out in the country with great roads and very little traffic. Sometimes, I'll rev it up into the powerband ;)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fred, thnx! I am scheduled for the adjustment

I was to go last week but could not; I am doing the "dogleg" on the 1-2 and it works perfect everytime; I will see if the adjustment allows me to stop this deliberate maneuver; they did tell me they would also change me to Royal purple or redline fluid......

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I agree that the 6th gear is kind of "inbetween" -- not that useful for daily driving, and not small enough for a true overdrive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts