Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I admit it... Im an obessive. For the past year of leasing my 2006 Coupe, I have obessed over numerous tiny blemishes, dings and scratches.
So, it will always be "fixed" but never pristine. How many of you have dings, scratches, blemishes, etc. on your cars after a few years of use? Make me feel better. -Bob.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
All of the above:

Wheel scratches, roof ding, door ding, scratched front cowling, swirls, and all the signs of a car that has been DRIVEN, not a garage queen...

Rick

·
Registered
312 Posts
I used to be that way, but after years of therapy I've learned to love my car most when in "Near Pristine" condition. Pristine strikes me as a museum piece or a new car on the showroom floor - something sterile. Near pristine is beautiful but looks like a "road partner" to some owner/driver that derives great pleasure from the partnership.

Besides, no car can withstand the microscopic, obsessive inspections of a pristine demander; so true happiness can therefore never be acheived. Whereas near pristine is acheiveable.

Having said this however, there are clear limits. A door ding is never acceptable - a small rock chip around the front grill must be.

Balance, my friend. Besides if the car was always pristine it would be harder to justify buying a new one!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Still a Nut.... Getting worse detail wise.....

My Maserati goes from home garage to office garage... Its never been to a car wash, and its never been out in the rain or snow....

All the tiny road chips have been professionally touched up. And I have taken my detail game to a new level. I have the super easy to use orbital, and I take all the swirls out annually, then clean, polish and seal my paint. My paint glows. Everyone should get one. Super easy to use... Results are insane...

The first tire place put two tiny scratches on two rims, I was mad and made them pay to powder coat all four rims, which they did. Recently, I noticed two more small scratches on one rim, (my wife had the car) for $150.00 I will get the rim recoated as soon as I put my next set of tires on it.

This may sound silly, but I am not obsessed about my car. I actually enjoy spending several hours detailing her. I like to detail. I do it on all my cars. I am not a fan of chips and get them filled in pretty good.

A door dent or ding is in no way shape or form acceptable.

People can not believe my car is 3 years old when they see it. However, I can still notice slight paint imperfections from the factory, but to the naked eye she is super clean...

My perception is also off a tad bit. I had a dealer inspect my car, and I told him it was in very good condition for an 04, he came back with a smile and said while that may be very good condition to you, he considered it showroom condition for a used car. I took that as a compliment.

I drive the hell out of her, keep her well maintained and park like a normal person in one spot. When the weather is nice, she goes all over.

CM

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have no dings anymore I have a great paintless dent removal guy rock chips make my baby look mean

I have a very rigid cleaning and repair schedule for the cars to keep them looking thier best but I cannot stand garage queens you need to drive them hard and fast as often as possible...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Just drive on up....

Chris,
How do I make an appointment ?? lol
Just drive on up and we can walk through it together. Takes about 3 hours for the exterior.

This site will give you all the info you need.

http://www.autopia.org/

First, have all your chips filled in as much as possible with paint. Then take a light cutting pad and buff them level.

Then take a quality swirl mark remover and swirl mark pad and do the entire car. Slowly, you may have to repeat over damaged areas. All marks should be gone before you continue.

If there are any areas that still look dirty or do not feel smooth, take a paint cleaner to them with a soft pad.

Finally, use a polishing pad and a quality polish. (Paint should now be in excellent condition). The polish should make the car pop... The finish should be like glass..

Finally, follow up with a coat or two of high gloss sealant. I have tried many different ones, I prefer a few coats of ZAINO and I use all their products. There are many great products, ZAINO lasts the longest for me.

Always use scratchless micro fiber towels for washing and drying. Make sure you use the correct pad for your application.

Trust me, practice once on a different car. You will love the final results.

Enjoy. CM

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
Not me, I am pretty relaxed about the shape of the car. Afterall, it needs to show it's been used (but not abused ;)).

·
Registered
329 Posts
"pristine" obsession.....

Never thought of it that way.... but I might have to say - yes....

My 2002 Coupe GT has 17,000 miles; and on frequent occasions people are surprised it is a five + year old car. (All my toy cars are low mileage and get equal treatment).

I do drive my cars, and I am prone to a ritual before I put them away for the next weekend. None of them has ever seen the wrong end of a water hose, or rain... I clean, detail, and wax regularly. I even wax the wheels (helps reduce brake dust build up). I clean the tires, and use a no gloss rubber protectant. Paint chips are touched up. Then I cover the cars with their respective covers (and a large thin plastic painters drop cloth). Then hook up the battery tender.

This process was a lot of fun when I was renting a building to store eight cars. :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just drive on up and we can walk through it together. Takes about 3 hours for the exterior.

This site will give you all the info you need.

http://www.autopia.org/

First, have all your chips filled in as much as possible with paint. Then take a light cutting pad and buff them level.

Then take a quality swirl mark remover and swirl mark pad and do the entire car. Slowly, you may have to repeat over damaged areas. All marks should be gone before you continue.

If there are any areas that still look dirty or do not feel smooth, take a paint cleaner to them with a soft pad.

Finally, use a polishing pad and a quality polish. (Paint should now be in excellent condition). The polish should make the car pop... The finish should be like glass..

Finally, follow up with a coat or two of high gloss sealant. I have tried many different ones, I prefer a few coats of ZAINO and I use all their products. There are many great products, ZAINO lasts the longest for me.

Always use scratchless micro fiber towels for washing and drying. Make sure you use the correct pad for your application.

Trust me, practice once on a different car. You will love the final results.

Enjoy. CM
I completely agree on the choice of Zaino products - they are simply the best: easy to apply, long-lasting, spectacular high-gloss finish. They truly do justice to the beauty of your Maserati!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ok, I admit it... Im an obessive. For the past year of leasing my 2006 Coupe, I have obessed over numerous tiny blemishes, dings and scratches.
So, it will always be "fixed" but never pristine. How many of you have dings, scratches, blemishes, etc. on your cars after a few years of use? Make me feel better. -Bob.
Mine although it is in a almost mint condition (MY2003), has no scatches but a few bumps mostly on both sides.
I intend to keep i like this for a year or so and repaint the whole body propably a new color.
I'll see.
Paint repairs usually IMO are not very successful

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'm an absolute detailing nut, but I drive my car. It's a balance between having the car in as good condition as possible whilst enjoying it to the max ;)

BTW those who like detailing their babies, as well as the Autopia site you could have a look at

www.detailingworld.com

I do use Zymol Royale on the car, and have also used Bilt Hamber Auto-balm (highly recommended as a paint protection system; gloss and depth is also second to none... for a fraction of the Royale price.)

However, this is how my previous 4200 looked after a Royale application (2 coats)

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c143/edsalazar/Detailed/PICT0069.jpg

Need to get the GS up to speed :D

Just my 2c.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Bob - As someone who just had his rims re-done yesterday ... I have no idea what you mean...

Best -

Bill

·
Registered
52 Posts
EGAD!! For 30 years my wife has accused me of being anal about my cars but I have never even considered spending $7,000 for car wax! For those of us just looking for a good shine and don't want to spend the entire day trying to get it, what's the recommendation? I had a friend who had a Rolls and he swore by Liquid Glass. I think he knew the guy who invented it. I have used it on my E class for 11 years and it still looks great. I will admit I have always been curious how you get a really deep shine with a readily available product. The detailing web site is interesting.

BTW, I have only owned my Spyder for a couple of months and I have noticed that whenever I park it in a lot for any period of time, when I come back there are hand prints all over the doors and windows. Lots of curious people taking a peek here in the DC area I guess.

Save Ferris

Ollie

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have been accused of being extremely anal with my cars, to the point my wife refuses to drive the GS. It is parked in the garage - a two car garage that has one car in it; it is always washed; it was detailed by the dealership (first one was free - they charge $250 for future detailing); and the inside is spotless. The only blemish is a small ding on the front bumper and emblem, which was estimated to cost $2,300 to repair. I will repair once I get a few more dings.

I went out Sunday morning to pick up Peets coffee for the two of us, and my wife says, "where are you going to hold the coffee? There are no cupholders in the car." She is right - so I took an empty box that originally had a case of wine in it, slipped it in the passenger side floor, and voila, instant cupholder!

The one thing I have not done yet is buy an indoor car cover. I have two kids and they like to play in the garage, so I think it is smart to get one before one of the bikes or wagons run into it. Has anyone used the Maserati indoor car cover? Does it work well keeping the dust out, and does it protect from scratches on an already dusty car? It is $500, which is pretty steep for a cover (compared to a Covercraft). Any input would be great.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I can relate to a lot of the above. I've yet to sort out the swirls as I've only just bought the car but I've done the wheels, interior and engine bay with a quick Zymol outside :D.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Think I know that car... have you bought it from Dominic / Alistair @ ADG in Hildenborough..?

Looks great ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts