Maserati Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do we expect the powertrain on these cars to last? I don't have a lot of mechanical expertise, but 400HP out of 4.2 liters has to put more stress on components than normal. Components like water pumps, radiators, etc. are not as trivial to replace with these cars. Am I just asking for trouble planning to put 40-50K miles on this car? I just turned 30K on the odometer of my '02 Coupe...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No worries it's starting to get worn out? :) I already fib and say 400HP instead of 390 when people ask, hopefully it won't be closer to 290 at 50k. Does it still go like it used to? :)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
How long do we expect the powertrain on these cars to last? I don't have a lot of mechanical expertise, but 400HP out of 4.2 liters has to put more stress on components than normal. Components like water pumps, radiators, etc. are not as trivial to replace with these cars. Am I just asking for trouble planning to put 40-50K miles on this car? I just turned 30K on the odometer of my '02 Coupe...
Actually 100 HP per liter is the norm for naturally aprirated motors these days. Remember this is, for the most part, the Ferrari F430 motor, which can deliver MANY more ponies than this version of the motor . In addition, the chain driven cams eliminate the high maintenance cost once associated with Ferrari. You'll start seeing MANY high mileage Maserati's like GrndLkNatv's car in the near future. You'll also start seeing high mileage Ferrari F430's, which is a welcome change.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
It goes better now than it did 20k ago...

With the help of Jeff at Formula Dynamics, it will even be better here this summer, after they fix the head outlet hose and check the CC with the SD3...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Actually 100 HP per liter is the norm for naturally aprirated motors these days. Remember this is, for the most part, the Ferrari F430 motor, which can deliver MANY more ponies than this version of the motor . In addition, the chain driven cams eliminate the high maintenance cost once associated with Ferrari. You'll start seeing MANY high mileage Maserati's like GrndLkNatv's car in the near future. You'll also start seeing high mileage Ferrari F430's, which is a welcome change.
I agree, this version is de-tuned in a sense and that should increase the life of the engine. when I hit 100k I will let you know! Haha. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts