Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many members are, like me, delighted with the Gran Tourismo look (though, frankly, I like the previous Coupe/GS look perhaps as much), but underwhelmed at the extra size and/or weight without added horsepower, and the lack of a CC transmission? I've seen some of the discontent-or perhaps disinterest is a better way to put it-in searching other threads, but wonder how widespread this is? I also wonder if other folks, again, like me, are deferring on the current Gran Tourismo, but would jump at a GranSport version with more HP (or, better yet, more HP and less weight) and a CC gearbox?

Since Maserati NA sorts through this forum, I thought I'd just plant a selfish plea for a "driver's" edition of the new car; and see if anyone else is looking down the line for that car. What would everyone guess might be the timeline for it, if it were to be in the pipeline?

(Sorry if this has been hashed over-just found only a single thread on this from six months ago, and wondered if there is more feedback and/or information.)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i hear ya.

the fact is, maserati is tapping into a whole new market with the GT. they are tapping into the fashion conscious group who loves a premium 2 door coupe with style (nb 6 series is butt ugly). the world wide reception of the GT has been well.

it is more luxury than sport. is this the future of maserati?

my guess is, if they want to keep the current customers happy, a DS version will come out for MY 2009. and my guess again is, if they want to keep things simple, they should have the following:
GT-AT with 405hp ('regular')
GT-DS with 450hp + (Gransport)

(instead of the QP, with 6 versions.... (!?))

As for product planning, the GS (2005) was almost 3 years after the intro of the Coupe/Spyder (2002) as mid life refresher. Don't think they are in a hurry. Just like the F430 Stradale. Also, they will be getting their Spyder out too. What would the spyder be? may be again more luxury than sport.

Now, what about the Trofeo races? anyone with words on what they are doing? if they are getting the new GT's into Trofeo races again, I would not be surprised if a GS will come sooner.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I really like the design of the new car. I haven't seen it in person though. I plan to get such a car next summer. I'm hoping for an 'upgrade' for 2009 that I'd be able to get in August/September of 2008. If they don't, I still think I'll get it. Unless they add some serious hp to the Vantage. I think that is its only style worthy, price point competition.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would think about replacing my GS with the GranTurismo only if they came out with a lighter, more powerful and quicker "GranSport" / "GTA" version.

Maserati may start attracting the M-B CL / Bentley Continental customer base with the new car but if they want to hang on to the customer base from the previous model, they will likely need to get a different sportier product in place.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i cannot see bentley C Gt owners coming over. they are used to 550hp. if anything, they want to go for the new 600hp engine...
can't see them going down to 400hp range.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Just curious how many members are, like me, delighted with the Gran Tourismo look (though, frankly, I like the previous Coupe/GS look perhaps as much), but underwhelmed at the extra size and/or weight without added horsepower, and the lack of a CC transmission? I've seen some of the discontent-or perhaps disinterest is a better way to put it-in searching other threads, but wonder how widespread this is? I also wonder if other folks, again, like me, are deferring on the current Gran Tourismo, but would jump at a GranSport version with more HP (or, better yet, more HP and less weight) and a CC gearbox?

Since Maserati NA sorts through this forum, I thought I'd just plant a selfish plea for a "driver's" edition of the new car; and see if anyone else is looking down the line for that car. What would everyone guess might be the timeline for it, if it were to be in the pipeline?

(Sorry if this has been hashed over-just found only a single thread on this from six months ago, and wondered if there is more feedback and/or information.)
I agree 100%. Saw the Gran Tourismo in Cincy two weeks ago and expressed these exact concerns. Need Gransport version, more HP and CC gearbox. Told him to call when they come available. I am not holding my breath for a call any time soon

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would think about replacing my GS with the GranTurismo only if they came out with a lighter, more powerful and quicker "GranSport" / "GTA" version.

Maserati may start attracting the M-B CL / Bentley Continental customer base with the new car but if they want to hang on to the customer base from the previous model, they will likely need to get a different sportier product in place.
Merc CL.....
Have you driven the new one?
Have you experienced the amount of quality and luxury this TGV provides?
Have you experienced the tons of torque (612 lb-ft @ 1,800 - 3,500 rpm) of the V12 engine?
Boy i did and my mouth fell down on my feet!!!!!
No Maserati, Aston, Bentley or any other brand emits such superiority on this premium GT class.
Of course don't expect CL to be as agile as a Maser or Ferrari or Porsche.
It is simply the most luxurius and refined GT EVER!!!!
By the way the 6.0-liter, twin-turbo monster V-12 from the S65 AMG under the hood is on the way.
check it out:

·
Registered
34 Posts
unfortunately they package it in one of the most bland/boring generic blah designs ever created. I don't care if it's torque can alter the rotation of the Earth, it's ugly and boring, and who wants to drive that?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i guess alfa_tiv is referring to more pedestrian CL models such as CL 550 or CL63, which have a price range closer to the GT and more of a competitor.

·
Registered
242 Posts
In power comparisons, I would assume most would think of performance in terms of power to weight and gearing as apposed to just power. Personally, I would rather drive something with 400 bhp that weighed 3700 pounds and had relatively shorter gearing than drive something else with 550bhp but lugging around 5500 pounds combined with relatively taller gearing.

Panos, I'm sure the new CL is quite a GT and will have a loyal following as do its predecessors. We're so lucky to have so many well executed interpretations of the GT theme available to us. Jeez, we've come along way from a Model T in either black or black!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
In power comparisons, I would assume most would think of performance in terms of power to weight and gearing as apposed to just power. Personally, I would rather drive something with 400 bhp that weighed 3700 pounds and had relatively shorter gearing than drive something else with 550bhp but lugging around 5500 pounds combined with relatively taller gearing.

Panos, I'm sure the new CL is quite a GT and will have a loyal following as do its predecessors. We're so lucky to have so many well executed interpretations of the GT theme available to us. Jeez, we've come along way from a Model T in either black or black!
that is your personal preference, but i can see very few continental GT owners coming over to a Granturismo.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Look guys, i do drive a 4200CC and a Cayman S, both pretty sporty, agile, breath-taking sportcars.
Although, the new CL might not be the best sportcar, concerning the weight, dimensions and whole setup, but in the top league of GTs IMO is top!
And don't forget.... Gran Turismo is not as sporty as the 4200, length, 50cm longer, weight, 300Kgs heavier, engine practically the same, tranny auto, setup more comfortable and neutral than agile. So it ia another GT, aiming to sweep the market with great advantage her looks, quality and brand name.
CL is an opponent of the new Maser GT, Aston Vanquish, Jaguar XKR, BMW M6,...
I don't perfer her over my cars, i would't buy it (i prefer a Ferrari 612 at around the same money) but i cannot neglect that in her league IMO is the best.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts