Maserati Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an issue nearly 3 weeks ago where the car would not start. Had it towed (flatbed) to the local dealer which is less than 3 miles from where I was at. After two weeks of the car sitting there (yes, you need an appointment!) they replaced the battery, performed an oil change, fixed/reset the CD changer, changed out a couple AC vent bezels and the cup holder (delaminating) which is under warranty. The easy in/out function of the driver seat has not been working and apparently this is what the hold up has been. They had the seat out last week and they think it's something in the wiring harness. How long does it take to diagnose and fix a problem like this? I didn't purchase the car locally and I feel that I'm "low" on the list. Service seems very slow, calls are not returned and I'm not impressed. Is this typical of the FM service depts? In the interim, I'm still without the car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had the same problem with the easy in/out option for the driver, turn out to be the harness that go through the doors on the driver's side had some bad connection. The car was at the dealer for 10 days(with appointment). Try to get a free rental, they usually let you have one.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
My car stayed 4 weeks at the dealer last time....

Regarding the easy entry system, get used to it, mine has been at the dealer 3 times in less than a year because of that thing. It seems like it's a bad system and it will go bad once in a while.

·
Registered
695 Posts
The amount of time spent at the dealer is on Maserati Corp's list of things to fix. Now that they have product to compete against the German manf. high end stuff, Maserati is realizing that they need to take care of the customer at the service end. (The above opinion is based on a conversation I had with an Maser NA marketing executive after being asked what I thought about Maser product improvements)

The problem is that Maser is generally tied to Ferrari stores - which have a long history of taking their time in repairing/servicing. The Ferrari customer tends to buy into this service culture as Ferrari's are toys used infrequently and as they use the dealer for "free" storage anyway.

One should see change in the future though, as Ferrari is pushing the California as a DD - and as 60% of new Cali purchases are from customers who have never bought/owned a Ferrari before - I believe these new customers are not going to accept 3-4 week service intervals in the shop.

Unfortunately, this change isn't going to happen over night.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't think I was totally "alone" here, but, nevertheless, it's a little frustrating. From the service records on my '05 Coupe, it appears that the easy in/out was an issue before and I'm sure it will go bad again in the near future (probably after the warranty expires!).

·
Registered
340 Posts
I agree with Bcube.

I also think that part of the problem relates to the fact that the dealerships tend to have less diagnostic equipment and stock fewer spare parts then their German counterparts. The cars can also be more time consuming to work on for certain types of repairs.

I have also had to wait 3 weeks for work that would probably have been done by my local Mercedes dealership in a day. Fortunately my Maser is not my daily driver but I feel for those who choose it as such.

·
Registered
255 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I assume we all attempted the reset procedure for this feature? I have always got it working after reset.
Posted elsewhere in forum or see foot of this page (timing is important!):
http://www.maseratiforum.co.uk/tm.asp?m=2851&mpage=2&key=
Much appreciated! I copied the thread and sent it to the service manager. When I called earlier to inquire, he said someone from Mas USA was coming out tomorrow to troubleshoot.

·
5,887 Posts
I also think that part of the problem relates to the fact that the dealerships tend to have less diagnostic equipment and stock fewer spare parts then their German counterparts. The cars can also be more time consuming to work on for certain types of repairs.

I have also had to wait 3 weeks for work that would probably have been done by my local Mercedes dealership in a day. Fortunately my Maser is not my daily driver but I feel for those who choose it as such.
I think this is a great point. I'm certain Maserati dealerships don't have a stock of parts that are anything like the high volume luxury dealerships. Also, since the volume is so low, service techs just don't run into the same problems day after day like a Mercedes dealer.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thought I'd give a perspective over a year since last post. Let me bring you all up to speed on many of the issues posted above:

NOTHING'S CHANGED!!!

I am waiting about 2 months now for every single part originally ordered for the car and more need to be ordered yet. The local dealership must not have even the basics on hand. New mats for instance needed to be ordered (all colors) and that's 3 weeks so far. Apparently MNA doesn't have a stock of much either. I believe now that the attitude that many have claimed the Italians have towards customer service (Thats's Italian for ya!) have rubbed off on their own MNA employees here in the USA. I drive a QP as a DD. I will say my dealership will provide a loaner but how would MNA or Italy feel if those who lease or make payments said "I'll pay it when I get around to it!"

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
This is the same problem with all high end exotics, IMO. I was appalled when I first got my Maserati QP, but I've learned to deal with it, and learned that its not always wise to bring it straight to the dealer when any little issue pops up if you don't know whats wrong. If I can diagnose the basic principles of the problem I have, I can make my dealer focus on the problem. Again, timeliness is always an issue with the dealer but my independent has been pretty predictable regarding turnaround time and very good about it. They make me happier than the dealer 10 fold easily. The dealer isn't always bad though, it depends on the dealer in your area and also the relationship with your service manager. I have found that the better relationship you have with your service manager, the faster things get turnaround, and the less headache. Always.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I agree with maseratisportgts above,

use an independent guy for casual things and use the dealer for more important issues (like when an SD3 is required?), that will save you a lot of trouble and waiting time.

yes, dealers vary and having a personal relationship with them will get your car back faster.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had an issue nearly 3 weeks ago where the car would not start. Had it towed (flatbed) to the local dealer which is less than 3 miles from where I was at. After two weeks of the car sitting there (yes, you need an appointment!) they replaced the battery, performed an oil change, fixed/reset the CD changer, changed out a couple AC vent bezels and the cup holder (delaminating) which is under warranty. The easy in/out function of the driver seat has not been working and apparently this is what the hold up has been. They had the seat out last week and they think it's something in the wiring harness. How long does it take to diagnose and fix a problem like this? I didn't purchase the car locally and I feel that I'm "low" on the list. Service seems very slow, calls are not returned and I'm not impressed. Is this typical of the FM service depts? In the interim, I'm still without the car.
my friend here is a fig for your seat problem running engine closed doors, turn off engine open door on the side that has the problem, use the botton to move the seat forward, backward and forward again then bring the back rest forward when you move the seat you need to do it in 5 sec you dont need to go all the way forward or back just so the seat moves a hair in that direction. after you bring the back rest forward you will notice that the seat moves automatically forward and back and then your easy entry in synched

1 - 16 of 16 Posts