Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I do not have major problems with my 03 coupe , 13 k miles but I worry about the future when the warranty expires, I've heard that these cars have many plastic tubes and plastic parts inside the engine?! that make them prone to have major leaking problems in the future but I can't understand if this is a true fact or a myth . If the previous generation Ferrari F430 had the same engine and same problems why would the price of a used one remains above 100k?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i would possibly like to keep the QP as long as i could (i.e. as much as i can afford to pay for repairs after warranty expires). just selling it after taking 2 years of first owner depreciation is not too smart.

i bought the 90th spyder with a good discount. even though it is a very special car, i am not very attached to it. as soon as i find a more interesting convertible i will let her go.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you, almost the exact same mileage on a 2003. I plan to keep it past the end of the warranty, but might consider a trade if I find something new that provides the same feeling as the Maser. Alternatively, I might even go the other direction and start modding the Maser, knowing that it might cost me a bit more in repairs. I think that with a few handling tweaks and an audio system upgrade, it might be nearly perfect, but I'm not going to mod it prior to warranty expiration.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The F430 engine was derived from the same block, they are not the same engines. Also, Ferrari resale vaules have little to do with the cars quality.

I feel the Maser engine should be good to 100k no problem. I have 25K on my 04 and its perfect. The only warranty issues I have encountered were rattles and F1 Pump related.

I really believe that if we start looking at Jaguar as a maintanance comparision rather than Ferrari a lot of these questions would disappear.

I would defer to any mechanic however--Kevin (MVP) care to chime in?

That said, I plan on keeping it until I no longer want it. I have owned the 04 since new for nearly 3 years and it is approaching the longest I have ever owned a single car and I see no real replacement on the horizon (except the new 08 if it is awesome).

Best,
dsd

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
One more consideration - a new exotic is going to cost you $1000+ per month, not factoring the big depreciation hit you'll take, which makes it worse. In that analysis, $12K per year will buy a lot of repairs...or a supercharger + new springs + HID conversion + audio upgrade. :) :) :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
It took me close to a year to decide on which new car to get.
Key in the decision, was that it had to have 3 pedals.

With fewer and fewer nice 3 pedal cars to choose from, it looks like the Maserati will be mine for a LONG time.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I agree with Fred my 2003 Coupe GT has 16,000 miles and I am under warranty for three more months. The next car would have to be a 3 pedal car. All of my cars are sticks. The only other car that I like is the new Aston Martin V8. But @ $120,000 ouch! I bought my car used in July of 2006 for $51,000.
Ron:)

·
Registered
312 Posts
I've reached 54,000 miles on my 05 QP. I expected to get replace it at this point.

However, it is such a fine car that I don't know what I'd rather have - and I've got lots of little customizations built in that please me enormously (audio, iPOD, Sirius, radar dectector, mesh grill, finally found tires I like, etc).

Being out of warranty does make me occassionally wake up screaming in the night. There has been some warranty work, but not much, and always scheduled. I've never been stranded and its been one of the more reliable cars (and the most reliable in the exotic car class) I've owned.

Were it a horse (not meaning Ferrari) I'd put it out for pasture and that oh so desireable stud service retirement. But since its a car I'm retiring it as my daily driver but keeping it long term. Going to remap the chip, upgrade the exhaust and some other changes and let it be the toy instead of the workhorse.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Please consider that the '06 may be the last year for the coupe/spyder we know and love today. Also consider that if the tie with Ferrari is broken they become a sort of collector's car. As the next year or two go buy we may change our thoughts on how long to hold on to them. Many Ferrari owners keep their fragile stallions for 10+ years so I don't think I'm going to worry about some plastic tubes in the engine.

That said, I'm notorious for trading up. I flipped a house and have traded a few cars for something better. I'm really interested in a Gillardo so that may happen in a few years when they come down into the $100k range. Who knows. In the mean time, I'm going to love my maser and drive the piss out of it until I decide what to do. :cool:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Get rid of my Maserati !? !? !?

Have an '02 Coupe GT with just over 14,000 miles. Warranty expires in about a month or so. Still plan on keeping the car until it gets destroyed, or the new wife gets too jealous. Then it's going to be a toss up - just like the last wife and the older Maserati's. Kept the older Maserati until the new Coupe was imported. :D (the old ex-wife.... is just older)
I seem to have a car fetish, I keep the cars I buy. When the doctor said the car fetish could be treated, I stopped going.
So, the plan is to keep the 6-speed Coupe. When the automatic QP comes out, and is proven, maybe I'll offer up the Jaguar for a new QP. (Or maybe just get a new QP).

·
Registered
681 Posts
dsd said:
The F430 engine was derived from the same block, they are not the same engines. Also, Ferrari resale vaules have little to do with the cars quality.

I feel the Maser engine should be good to 100k no problem. I have 25K on my 04 and its perfect. The only warranty issues I have encountered were rattles and F1 Pump related.

I really believe that if we start looking at Jaguar as a maintanance comparision rather than Ferrari a lot of these questions would disappear.

I would defer to any mechanic however--Kevin (MVP) care to chime in?

That said, I plan on keeping it until I no longer want it. I have owned the 04 since new for nearly 3 years and it is approaching the longest I have ever owned a single car and I see no real replacement on the horizon (except the new 08 if it is awesome).

Best,
dsd
I agree with what you say 100%, the F430 isn't that bad in terms of reliability or service. Too many people are comparing the F355 & 360 which are not as reliable or require more service. I think a Jaguar is a much better comparison to give somebody the idea of how much a Maserati will cost. Saying the Maserati has Ferrari parts sounds cool, but often times many associate Ferrari service and repair costs with it.

Me? I'm trading my 06 in for a Lamborghini Gallardo in June or July and then I'm going to buy the 08 and have the Gallardo and the 08 Coupe, then eventually trade the Gallardo in for an F355 or 360. Or maybe I'll just listen to my accountant and do that boring investment crap. ;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
hopefully i can give it to my grandson one day.

if that doesn't happen then i would like this car to stay with me for a LONG time.

(but i say that about all my cars and then i sell them so i really don't know)

-willie

·
Registered
133 Posts
If everything is continuing the way it is going right now - after one year perfect record on the QP (dealer is another story) - 5 years or more!

·
Registered
773 Posts
how long

no warranty here, 16000 $ spent on repairs, many, clutch etc. love my 02cc spyder do i have to sell it, hope not. have 19 other maserati to park it next to.

·
Registered
681 Posts
bundas said:
no warranty here, 16000 $ spent on repairs, many, clutch etc. love my 02cc spyder do i have to sell it, hope not. have 19 other maserati to park it next to.
$16,000?!? Wow, care to elaborate?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts