Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd just like to know how difficult it would be to pull off some of the common repairs on our cars. Clutch Replacement and F1 pump to pick out 2 issues that concern me. I figured having the differential in the rear would make it that much easier.

I'm a fairly skilled mechanic I've done a couple engine swaps in Jaguars, transmissions ans clutches in GMs, etc. So I'd just like to know how tough this might be and how much the dealer is getting over because $350 for an oil is rediculous when its no big difference from my XKR.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
nomorejags said:
I'd just like to know how difficult it would be to pull off some of the common repairs on our cars. Clutch Replacement and F1 pump to pick out 2 issues that concern me. I figured having the differential in the rear would make it that much easier.

I'm a fairly skilled mechanic I've done a couple engine swaps in Jaguars, transmissions ans clutches in GMs, etc. So I'd just like to know how tough this might be and how much the dealer is getting over because $350 for an oil is rediculous when its no big difference from my XKR.

Thanks
Removing the clutch is no big deal. It's when you get into the custom software required to balance (i.e add weights) and reset the clutch wear and warning eletronics. The car is so tied into the computer that you would piss it off doing just a replacement without resetting it. I've been down this path and have a copy of the shop manual. It'll scare the crap out of you once you realize how much the computer controls everything. There's actually a procedure where the PC starts the motor and runs the revs up during the balancing while the car is on the lift. Then again, if you don't care about the balancing procedure or clutch wear indicator, go for it ;)

·
Registered
431 Posts
clutch

my FM mechanic at dealer in UK does not use computer to balance. He says that its not necessary. But is necessary to reset the clutch wear using software/SD2 (OBD2?).

My advice-if you are quite a competent mechanic then go for it and have dealer reset the computer and charge half hours labour!

Does the CC clutch have three parts like a normal car. I know that there is usually a clutch plate, pressure plate and a thrust bearing. I also realise that the clutch in our cars are dual plate. Am a little confused a sto the full clutch in the CC.

·
Registered
773 Posts
maintain

i change oil, filter, and plugs. no problem! clutch is rebuildable, two plate, center plate, and cover. weak link is pin that tob swivles on. early 02 had problem, i own one, dealer made me pay for repair, because clutch was burnt from slippage.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Now what about that darn F1 pump??

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone have a service manual for a walkthru on the clutch removal/install. It's about that time and I was gonna take a look see to decide on if I wanted to conquer it myself.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Anyone have a service manual for a walkthru on the clutch removal/install. It's about that time and I was gonna take a look see to decide on if I wanted to conquer it myself.
I do. Give me a couple of days. The service .PDF manual is HUGE! I need to figure out how to get the clutch portion to you. Some observations:

The removal is straightforward

The replacement requires "at speed" balancing (controlled by computer) and adding weight strips (if the clutch isn't perfectly balanced it could come apart at 7000 RPM)

The computer needs to reset the wear indicator (but the wear potentiometers will reset and read correctly)

Buzz

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my FM mechanic at dealer in UK does not use computer to balance. He says that its not necessary. But is necessary to reset the clutch wear using software/SD2 (OBD2?).

My advice-if you are quite a competent mechanic then go for it and have dealer reset the computer and charge half hours labour!

Does the CC clutch have three parts like a normal car. I know that there is usually a clutch plate, pressure plate and a thrust bearing. I also realise that the clutch in our cars are dual plate. Am a little confused a sto the full clutch in the CC.
Thanks buzz. Is this FM mechanic taking a risk then? I have no way of balancing so I'm not sure if I want to attempt this if balancing is mandatory. Please send the pdf when you get a moment though. The shop quoted 10 hrs. labor. That about right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts