Maserati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering about the new GranTurismo.
The first offering doesn't seem all that "awe inspiring." I'm wondering if they are intentionally keeping the power down until the buz is over since it is so much better looking than the 612 Scag. If they had 450-500hp (maybe even a V12) with state-of-the-art paddle-shifters and that body for ~$150-175K....who would buy the 612? I wouldn't I don't think. I wonder if over the next few years Maserati will be able to separate more from Ferrari and start offering a viable alternative in that segment or if Fiat will make sure that never happens. I also wonder if Ferrari has some opinion on Pinifarina making the Maserati so much sexier than the range-topping 2+2 612........
Thoughts?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Which is really too bad, since I personally think they should be proud of the companies working together to make all of them better. You can't tell me the 430 didn't benefit from development and testing done with Maserati, and that somehow Ferrari owners would scoff at the sharing of technology making their cars more reliable and less expensive to maintain.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If the Dino is as good as it is said in the article, I suspect the new GS will definitely not be the same league... 480 bhp will put the new Dino into the F430 zone.

Honestly will you expect a 480 bhp GS in the future? Maybe a 450 bhp Alfa/Maserati 4.7L will be more likely. And this will be tuned up to be the new F470's engine.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
depends on how badly the marketing team is or how badly they want to piss off the new QP AT and GT AT owners, i doubt we will see a higher output engine for 2008. so it would be save to see some engine improvements or a GS type variant for 2009.

if anything, they want a 50hp zone to separate their products:

GT ~400hp
Dino ~450hp
F470 ~500hp
612 ~550hp
599 ~600hp+

you see, the whole marketing scheme to the 8C is to get people interested in the brand and as well, their V8. they never hide the fact it is a maserati engine. we were hoping it will be in the 07 QP and GT, but somehow it never happened. perhaps it will find its way to the dino

·
Registered
722 Posts
Probably the result of the collaborative R&D effort became the Ferrari Dino, leaving resource-poor Maserati with a chopped QP with a warmed-over engine. It doesn't seem like likely to me that a more-powerful engine will go in the GT any time soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts