Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I bought a 05' Quattroportte, love the car! I noticed the slot for my GSM phone chip from my Cingular phone that would be compatable with the system built into the car. I took the chip out of my hand held phone, it clicked in just fine (electronics side down) but it doesn't activate the car's phone system.

How do I activate the car's phone system to make it recogize my GSM chip?? I can't get anything from the manual.

·
Registered
114 Posts
All QPs come with GSM phone (not the case for Coupe/Spyder), so it should work. For me it was a simple matter of inserting the SIM and pressing the PHONE button. Oddly this handset seems to cause the most amusement among friends I have driven in the QP.

What does the screen on the handset in the armrest say when you put the SIM into the slot?

·
Registered
202 Posts
hi all,

i have 03 coupe and a 04 coupe cc. but they didn't come with the gsm option. do you guys know if i can add this as an option after the fact.

i would think its just a add on part that i can get installed.

thanks

willie

·
Registered
44 Posts
Phone

My new QP has the slot for the phone, with what looks like the pins and contacts inside to take a phone sim, but I didnt order the phone, so it doesnt work.

Presume that part is just fitted to all QPs and the phone bit just connects to that if you order it.

·
Registered
835 Posts
willie said:
hi all,

i have 03 coupe and a 04 coupe cc. but they didn't come with the gsm option. do you guys know if i can add this as an option after the fact.

i would think its just a add on part that i can get installed.

thanks

willie
The GSM kit installed in the euro models is a dual band one which is missing the band commonly used here in the states. To install an aftermarket unit, the headunit has to be activated by the dealers...well good luck getting that done :) I tried.

·
Registered
114 Posts
GSM / GPS unit

Actually, as I have heard it, all Coupes come with the same hardward and the GSM and GPS can be "activated". Obviously I wouldn't suggest doing it yourself, but this was offered to me by a dealer when I was think of buying a second hand Coupe which had the right spec, but I wanted the GSM/GPS, which it didn't have. Activating the GSM might still not work for US drivers, as it could be dual-band (900/1800MHz) and not tri-band (900/1800/1900). All European QPs come with the GPS/GSM option.

Interestingly there are differences in the data on Maserati's website: European top speed is 275km/h and 0-60mph is 5.2s.
US top speed is 265km/h and 0-60mph is 5.1s.

Also noticed that there is a nice 30page QP brochure pdf on the International English Maserati website, which isn't on the US website.

·
Registered
202 Posts
well that sucks,

it would be very simple to just buy the kit and then have it activated.

oh well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
willie
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing