Maserati Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in anything special all you fellow Spyder owners do for maintaining & cleaning your rag top.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Interested in anything special all you fellow Spyder owners do for maintaining & cleaning your rag top.
haven't found anything suitable. someone at some point even suggested mayo, yes as in mayonnaise. the navy blue color on mine is fading :(

·
Registered
695 Posts
I still have some surplus BMW branded ragtop cleaner and protectant that I bought when I had my Z4 roadster. Which I have used on the Mas Spyder with no issues. These other products are supposed to be pretty good, although I have never used them: http://www.raggtopp.com/

·
Registered
98 Posts
Recently I had work done on my black topped Spyder at the Maserati shop in Atlanta. Part of the deal was a wash for the car. Afterward, the top looked good so I asked how they'd done it. No soap or cleaner involved just a pressure washer with plain water - again no soap. They also pointed out not a really high pressure machine. Since then this has been my method. Works good - just don't get too close to the top with the wand. :)

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't used any special cleaners or even soap - just plain water.....but one thing I stumbled upon was to drag a folded microfiber towel (large size used for drying) across the top in long pulls from one side to the other. The fibers seem to pull dirt out and leaves a suede-like look afterward. I'd imagine that some sort of UV protectant and water repellent wouldn't hurt. I'll check out the RaggTop products. Thanks.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I use a horse hair shoe brush to groom the tops on both my soft tops.
This removes all the larger dirt particles, then wash with water (only water)
and let air dry. Tops on both are black.

I do add a water repellant every year or so to keep the material water resistant.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I keep mine covered when parked outside at work.

Other than that, I wash with a microfiber mitt and carwash soap when I wash the car. I used the ragtopp stuff, which seems fine, but I'm not sure if it actually added any repellency. Didn't hurt though.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
my soft top gets minimal to no exposure to rain. i have a autoglym soft top care kit that has some cleaner and protectant. the bmw kit works well too.

one of the things the tech noted to me is, the top should be kept up. folding it in the tonneau for extended time is not recommended.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts