Maserati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lol, Well guys, I finally got her. I am sooo excited and I love the Coupe more than any car I've had. The looks I get in it are pretty entertaining as well! I promise, pics will be up soon. Anyhow, I have never driven an F1 tranny, let alone a manual tranny ever. So I need tips on how to properly drive the car. For example, for easy driving where I want to have the least gas mileage, what rpm do I shift at? Is it true to be in a higher gear whenever I can be. Like, when I'm on the freeway or i'm cruising at like 50+mph should I be in 6th gear? Also, when I downshift in order to pass someone, do I downshift twice for better acceleration and do I let off the gas at all, or do I keep the accelerator to the floor while I downshift? Sorry for all the questions, but i just want to make sure I'm treating the car perfectly. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
252 Posts
You will always get the best gas milage by shifting at a lower RPM and using 6th on the highway but you will not get nearly as much fun out the car driving like that. If I was worried about fuel economy I would have went with a Toyota but if I am spending 100 grand for car I plan on driving at full RPM to get the most out of engine, screw the milage, But then again this will be a second car for me and I will only put about 3000-4000 miles on car a year. So I guess since yours will be your primary car you can drive conservative for gas milage but let all hell fly when you feel like having some fun. When I took trips on highway in my M3 SMG I would drive in 6th then hit the paddle down twice to pass, and car would take off like a rocket and am sure you could do same with yours. One tip I have for you is when slowing down for something like a stop light always down shift to first, car may not go into to first if your going a little to fast but it will drop to first once you are slow enough and you will be ready to take off if thats what you want. Another thing I learned from my driving experince of SMG was do not try to judge how you like it till you have driven at least a couple of months, Whe I first got my M3 I thought I made a big mistake going with the SMG but after learning how to get the most out of it, I loved it. Am glad to see you decided to go ahead with purchase. I am being told my car will be completed on Feb 11 so am hoping to get car here in the first or second week of March, Just in time for some spring driving.

·
Registered
252 Posts
as it seems you are one of the only ones here who has ordered one and have taken delivery I was wondering how everything went? So far my experince on ordering my car is like no car I have bought in the past. From the start it seemed strange, Am used to going into busy car dealerships with lots going on, But going into a Ferrari dealership is a whole new experince for me. Not sure if its cause I bought in the New England area in late Nov. But place seemed dead, the couple times i was in their I was the only person. What was the condition of car when it came in, I had heard bad things in the past about condition of ferrari's when they came in. I know cars are driven around Modena before they are shipped here then they drive them some more once they get to the USA. Did your car come over on a car carrier ship or do they just stick it on on any Cargo ship? At least I read that they put each car in its own box for shiping. Any advise you could offer any of us here ordering I am sure would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Experience is the key...

1. Normaly, you do not have to change your gas position when you down/upshift.

2. In standard mode, you can loosen a little bit the accelerator when you shift to smooth the transition. In sport mode, it is different, do NOT change your foot when you shift.

3. You can downshift 2 gears without any problem. Then full throttle...

4. When you accelerate and you need more power, downshift at full throttle (blip throttle sound, like a pro).

5. Try to be in the 4500-5500 RPM when you need power/torque.

6. For least gas mileage, use the huge torque of the engine: 2000-3500 RPM.

7. Never hesitate to reach the red zone. The car likes it!

8. Ice/auto modes are not very usefull. One exception : when you need a hand for your wife or your phone :D

5'000 km was a must to understand very well the cambiocorsa. I enjoy it very much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I'm starting to get the hang of it now. Not nearly as hard as i thought it was going to be. I do notice a few things about weird sounds and feelings from the engine or clutch when I am flooring it and I downshift. I'm sure its probably normal, but if anyone can give me the correct procedure for passing someone. like, say i'm in 4th gear, and I want to pass someone. should i floor the car and then downshift twice, or should i downshift twice and then floor. also, should i lift off the accelerator a little bit when i am flooring it and i want to upshift to smooth it out? sorry, one more thing, because there is a little gap in the time it takes to click the paddle and the time it takes for the car to actually shift, should i take that into consideration when i'm upshifting while flooring it? i''m just afraid of me upshifting while i'm flooring it and it accidentally overrevving because i shifted too late.

Regarding my delivery, the car was in excellent condition. the sticker on the glove box could have been removed a little more nicely but i'll get that fixed. my side air vent thingies (i got the vintage package) are not bolted down tight enough i think so i'm going to have to bring the car in for that too. I'm not sure about how they transported the car, but everything turned out great.

any more "tips" on driving this beast?

Thanks

·
Registered
291 Posts
Maybe one more rule : when you slow down to a stop, and you want to move off again quickly, do not wait the car downshift to 1, do it yourself because sometimes the software is not enough fast and you move off in 2 and you can be surprised to not be in 1. It can be a bad situation if you have to avoid an other vehicule...

But mainly, I think you have to experiment it by yourself... try different combinations and keep the best ones. Remember, by default you do not have to lift off the accel when you shift the gears. And in any case, the software will correct you, you will not damage your car.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It seems that the Maserati does the same thing that my SMG did when coming to a stop by not going into 1st even though I had down shifted their. Then would try to take off only to find I was still in 2nd and would not have the tourqe I needed, But I would think the Maserati would handle that sitiuation better as it has a much better tourqe band. Downsfiting twice from 4th is probably not needed, I only did that in 5th or 6th, But the software will stack your shifts and only shift at the correct speed and you also have a built in rev limiter. Does the cambiocorsa have some sort of launch feature? And if so at what RPM can you drop the clutch at launch?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Launch control is a big issue. There is no dedicated button like in the Enzo. When I push the brake and I rev up to 2000 RPM (it seems the clutch is a little engaged) then I release the brake and and I accelerate up to 5500 RPM to not spin the wheels too much, then I push more up to the limit. The big issue is the clutch : it smell strong and bad, I am sure it wear out the clutch a lot. That is why I do not do that every day.

I am pretty sure the M3-SMG or the 360-F1 have the same problem. Maybe somebody have a better solution for a canon-launch without killing the clutch!

·
Registered
252 Posts
The main reason I did not go with the cambiocorsa was the uncertainty of launch control (My favorite part of driving), while my M3 SMG did not wear on the clutch it also only let me drop the clutch at 1800 RPM and then it still had a big hiccup and felt awkward doing it. The eurpean version dropped the cluth at 3800 RPM and they did have problems on clutch wear and software limited you to how many times you could do it. Was still a very tough choice on deciding on transmission as I did love everything else about SMG. Then decided to go with GT and use the money I saved to load up car with other options. The F1 transmission is still being improved and I am sure I will get one on my next car. The good thing for people who do have one now is that many of the newer improvements can be put into your car with a simple software download.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The paradox is: I have the latest 2003 software, the previous one was better to launch the car : the clutch engaged fully at full throttle. The problem was some idiots was not happy because you had to be very carefull with the gas to not kick your ass (and passenger's ass). Today the clutch does not fully engaged until 2000 RPM. It is smoother but not effective for fast launch. For my opinion the best way is to keep the smooth way in standard mode and come back to the kick-in-the-ass way in the sport mode. But the launch-control button is still missing at the end... The maserati problem is to delight a lot of different people with only two options (standard and sport), the trade-off is difficult...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys. things are getting better and better with it. I'm beginning to understand the car and the transmission a little better. I'm still not too sure on the correct timing when I floor the car. (i always get scared when i reach about 6,000 rpm that i immediately upshift because i'm scared to harm the engine). the RPMs move so damn fast! lol but i guess thats a good thing. I do notice that in sport mode, gunning the car feels almost twice as fast as in regular mode. fun stuff, except i'm not used to cars losing grip when I floor them. My previous cars I suppose didn't have enough power for that, but damn, i guess this car has got plenty!

Regarding my order, I got it fully loaded, including spare tire, which i probably shouldn't have gotten, but i'm always so afraid of getting a flat tire and being stranded. i mean, i'm probably gonna end up calling a tow truck to tow it anyway, but oh well. do you guys think that the spare is weighing the car down too much? The outside is grigio? I"m not sure, whatever color the gunmetal greyish color is. The interior color combos are Cuoio for the seats and nero for the dash. I also got the carbon fiber kit, aluminum racing pedals, and the aluminum center console which looks amazing. Oh yeah, and I got the vintage package as well (the side air intake thingies, the halfway chrome rims, and the halfway chrome front fascia), which I was debating at first, but I really love the way it turned out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Swiss-Maserati said:
The paradox is: I have the latest 2003 software, the previous one was better to launch the car : the clutch engaged fully at full throttle. The problem was some idiots was not happy because you had to be very carefull with the gas to not kick your ass (and passenger's ass). Today the clutch does not fully engaged until 2000 RPM. It is smoother but not effective for fast launch. For my opinion the best way is to keep the smooth way in standard mode and come back to the kick-in-the-ass way in the sport mode. But the launch-control button is still missing at the end... The maserati problem is to delight a lot of different people with only two options (standard and sport), the trade-off is difficult...

You just verified my dealers claim. They did not do the software upgrade on my '03, as some purists who were good customers of my dealer who want the performance and could care less about smoothness, preferred the old calibration. They said they could do the upgrade at any time, and it has no effect on warranty. However, once they do it, it can't be undone. They let me drive an '03 no cal, and an '04 with cal to see the difference, and the difference is noticeable.

Keep in mind that the '02's and early '03's (I believe) had a single plane clutch, which would allow the tires to spin on launch, had 'excessive' wear, and some people (media) complained that for a GT car, it was too rough. That's why Maser went with the dual plane clutch and trans cal change for the '03 model year, and issued the update for '02's as well. Essentially 2 clutches to share the wear, and a slower approach to engagement.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
4 Participants
shifter
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing