Maserati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I just bought my 02 Coupe this past winter so I have no experience with the AC in the summer heat. I think the AC in my car is pretty lame. For the outside temp. around 85F, when I stuck in traffic, it is barely cold. If the car get moving, it is fine. I checked the AC system pressure(by myself), which indicate that there is enough refrigerant. No need to charge it.
I would like to know how are the AC systems in others cars perform. Do they as good as AC in BMW,Mercedes or Japanese car? I just want to know that is there anything wrong with my AC system.
Thanks,
pganmol

·
Registered
312 Posts
pganmol said:
Hi All,
I just bought my 02 Coupe this past winter so I have no experience with the AC in the summer heat. I think the AC in my car is pretty lame. For the outside temp. around 85F, when I stuck in traffic, it is barely cold. If the car get moving, it is fine. I checked the AC system pressure(by myself), which indicate that there is enough refrigerant. No need to charge it.
I would like to know how are the AC systems in others cars perform. Do they as good as AC in BMW,Mercedes or Japanese car? I just want to know that is there anything wrong with my AC system.
Thanks,
pganmol
05 QP. no problem keeping it cold enough; however the thermostat process is often erratic. I often just use it in manual.

·
Registered
188 Posts
No problems with the AC being cold, separate issue with the semi-dead side vents, almost zero flow from those things.

But that is probably just a design issue, just an airflow oversight.

Temp works great.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The "Auto" mode is pretty much useless as far as I'm concerned but the car cools down well with som emanual fiddling. The number of days I really use the AC is another thing entirely.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine is an 02 and I do not have any problems cooling down, the AC works fine. I agree with RQ, the side vents have virtually no airflow. On the other hand the the center vents blast out the air and are extremely loud.

·
Registered
203 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, I live in hell (Naples, Fla) temperature wise. It is not uncommon for the interior temperature guage to register in excess of 110 degrees (at 100% humidity, mind you...not "Dry" heat). My '02 coupe is left on auto and 70 degrees. This is fine 95% of the time. It sounds to me you should have it checked out. I'm curious to know what temperature the air is at as it exits the vents. I believe there is an acceptable range, above which would suggest a problem. Good Luck!

·
Registered
681 Posts
My auto worked great and my AC was among the coldest I ever had. My heater was great too. I remember one October day it was really cold outside, I had the top down and the heater on with my khaki shorts and jacket. Alot of people looked at me as if I was crazy. Now that's a good heater.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wonderd about this too now that we have had some recent hot humid days. Absurdly, I found that turning the auto thermostat higher (to around 22-24) degrees provided colder air from the vents than when set lower, so you might want to try that. otherwise, on auto, I am still mystified by what settings it chooses (recirculate vs circulate) or what the air flow speed will be set. Sigh...another Maser mystery.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well, it was over 90 degrees today in So Cal, but I found the AC quite efficient at keeping temperatures inside the car cool. Yes, the side vents aren't the best, but there is quite a bit of airflow through the central vents and the dash (upwards) vent.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am in Virginia, it gets real hot and real humid. The AC is very respectable. The only complaint is the fans/vents could use a bit more blow power-- especially with the sun beating down.

That said, the maser ac is better than any other Italian car I have been in.

-dsd

·
Registered
75 Posts
My AC works very well and I use the "Auto" function.. it's not as efficient or cold as the BMW 330 I had - but that system was so overengineered it would numb my feet.

My only problem is the damn condenser has just decided it's a much better idea to empty itself into the footwells!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
14 Participants
Rich Hale
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing