Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a couple nice looking QP for sale locally 2009 S and I think a 2010 S. Both have 80-90k miles but look really clean.
Asks are in the mid/high teens. (given this economy, I would imagine that prices will be very soft)

Anyway. I have yet to see a QP with the variators done, so assume they haven't been.

What are thoughts on higher mileage Maserati? Common sense says "Stay away" but.... Might get into a later model QP5 for pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It's probably wise to try and find a 2011 or newer if you can as it's a pretty big gamble to take with how much the variator repair jobs cost to do. You could very easily wind up spending way more in the long run and should you ever try to sell it down the road it's going to be much more difficult if you can't prove that the variators have been replaced.

It's really a buyers market right now so you might be surprised how much car you can get for your money and low mileage QP5's are nearly as inexpensive as the one's your looking at. If it were me, I'd recommend either keep looking for one that has been repaired already as they are certainly out there or save up a little more so you can get a 2011 or newer.

These are such amazing cars and so well built that it pays to wait and get exactly what you want.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Itmax has it exactly right...variators are the big "what if" for any cars built before October 2010 or so. I've heard that if you know what to look for, you can look through the oil fill hole and see if the variators have been upgraded. I have a 2013 QP that now has just over 50k miles and it has been an excellent car. However there is a dealer who calls me every now and then asking me to buy his 2010 QP-S that has only 16k miles on it. The car is in absolutely mint condition, but it was built in April 2010 so it does not have the factory variator fix in place. I tell him about this issue and he just changes the subject, he hears me but will not acknowledge the point I'm trying to make. I would imagine with the virus scare going on, there will be some very good deals out there.....

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've heard that if you know what to look for, you can look through the oil fill hole and see if the variators have been upgraded.
If you look inside the oil filler cap at the variator it's pretty easy to tell. The old style variator is smooth across the top and front and the upgraded style has pins and a big spring visible in the very front. Pictures attached. The first one is old style, next two are the upgraded ones. The last picture shows what new style looks like viewing down inside the filler cap.

Now that you know what to look for, you might get very lucky and find one that has already been fixed even though the seller might not realize the problem has been corrected sometime in the past.

. Old Variator.jpg New Variator.jpg IMG_4378.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My bad, the one is a 2011 QP S. Looks very clean in pix, but 77k. Ask is $22k. Seems like lower milage go for not much more.
I wonder how the process price will drop with this economic downturn.... (It's at a dealer)

·
Registered
557 Posts
I too am watching the market to see what will happen. I mentioned in my previous post about a mint 2010 QP-S that a dealer is trying to convince me to buy, well he emailed me this morning with a lower price - still to high for me but this may be a sign of things to come. If Trump is right and we snap out of this economic downturn quickly, and if there is a dip in prices, being prepared to jump on a good deal at a moment's notice - could result in a great buy.

In my opinion, $22k is a bit high for a 2011 QP with 77k miles on it. Maybe if it had all new brake pads & rotors, new tires, and fresh service, the updated variators, and the car's condition was great, and the car has good colors, I'd figure around $18k to $19k or so....given what's going on in the world right now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here’s the odometer reading on my ‘07 Sport GT Automatica as of today :)

Variators done at 45K miles. Still goes like a bat out of hell. Oil changed every 5K miles and regular routine maintenance carried out at 1/2 of the factory prescribed intervals. Been one of the best cars I’ve ever had and when it’s worn out, I’ll replace it with a ‘12 or ‘13.
image.jpg

·
Registered
103 Posts
That's impressive and very reassuring. These are great cars and it's nice to see good examples of owners who are getting lots of reliable miles out of theirs. I can only hope to do the same in the next 10 years or so...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They dropped the price of the 2011 below $20k so I thought I might look into it.
They have a "100% no Midwest or East Coast guarantee - all cars are West coast cars". But Carfax shows this was in Illinois for the first half of it's life.

Then I email and ask about this. He said that is what they strive for (100% guarantee?
) but they took this on trade and it was so clean they put it in inventory. BUT.... Carfax shows they got it at auction in California a couple months ago.

So lame cos if they were honest I might have looked into it, but when they just keep lying how can ya trust em.
Shame, I liked the color.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
They dropped the price of the 2011 below $20k so I thought I might look into it.
They have a "100% no Midwest or East Coast guarantee - all cars are West coast cars". But Carfax shows this was in Illinois for the first half of it's life.

Then I email and ask about this. He said that is what they strive for (100% guarantee?
) but they took this on trade and it was so clean they put it in inventory. BUT.... Carfax shows they got it at auction in California a couple months ago.

So lame cos if they were honest I might have looked into it, but when they just keep lying how can ya trust em.
Shame, I liked the color.
Wait just a second here. You thought that someone selling used cars at a dealership would be honest with you about anything? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry I just couldn't help myself.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
I too am watching the market to see what will happen. I mentioned in my previous post about a mint 2010 QP-S that a dealer is trying to convince me to buy, well he emailed me this morning with a lower price - still to high for me but this may be a sign of things to come. If Trump is right and we snap out of this economic downturn quickly, and if there is a dip in prices, being prepared to jump on a good deal at a moment's notice - could result in a great buy.

In my opinion, $22k is a bit high for a 2011 QP with 77k miles on it. Maybe if it had all new brake pads & rotors, new tires, and fresh service, the updated variators, and the car's condition was great, and the car has good colors, I'd figure around $18k to $19k or so....given what's going on in the world right now.
So what's the verdict... was Trump right? LOL

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wait just a second here. You thought that someone selling used cars at a dealership would be honest with you about anything? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry I just couldn't help myself.
Yeah... I deserved that. Not sure why I expected a used car salesman to NOT act like a used car salesman. Still F'em

1 - 20 of 25 Posts