Maserati Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a high performance air filter to give me a bit more air flow and horsepower. I found one at formula dynamics but it runs $125. Have any of you guys installed this air filter? If so, have you found that it visibly increases horsepower? Or are you familiar with any other options? I was hoping to find one a K&N but they told me that it's not available for an 02 Spyder.....

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
I have it, I can't tell you it adds a lot of HP, probably a couple or so. But the make is a top notch filter company called BMC and they make quality stuff.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The advantage to FD's air filter

is it lasts a lifetime. Jeff told me you clean and oil it once or twice a year. It does allow for easier air flow into the engine but only adds one or two horses. Still, it's a worthwhile modification that pays for itself in two years.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just installed a BMC.............

Just this month I had my Independent FM Technician (Eddie Rodriguez) install a BMC air filter purchased from Jeff at Formula Dynamics into my 2003 Maser CC. It was a quick and easy install. I really don't notice any change in performance, but I know that it is a way better filter than the paper OEM one. In my mind, $125 well spent.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
guys....just REALLY be careful not to over-oil it. I'm currently changing out my Mass Air Flow sensor on my BMW because of the oil from an aftermarket K&N filter fouled the sensor.....just be careful...a little of that stuff goes more than a long way...

·
Registered
92 Posts
guys....just REALLY be careful not to over-oil it. I'm currently changing out my Mass Air Flow sensor on my BMW because of the oil from an aftermarket K&N filter fouled the sensor.....just be careful...a little of that stuff goes more than a long way...
Good point on the oiling. I have seen this cause some damage. I would go with the BMC it is a great filter.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Despite all the fantasmagorical claims in advertising, pretty much all air filters flow sufficient air to the engine when new/clean. Therefore, there can be no performance gain from simply throwing in a different filter. Either it will flow as much air as the engine is drawing or it won't.

I just cannot imagine that the engineers at Maserati slipped up and threw in an inadequate filter configuration. I use the BMC filter and like it. It does not degrade performance. No air filter will improve performance.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Looks like a bunch of well-meaning hogwash, in my opinion. It's a guy who wanted to alter the sound of his car, couldn't figure out a way to change the exhaust, and settled for a foam air filter instead. There's not an ounce of engineering or scientific testing or data, just some vague claims about "reticulated foam."

As with most other mods, the question to ask is this: If this is truly an improvement, why didn't all those Italians with fancy engineering degrees think of it when they designed the car? Sometimes there is a good answer to the question: the reason could be cost savings, fuel economy, pollution concerns, market appeal, new technology, etc. If not, think twice about the mod.

Also, I think the claim about car warranties is BS. The manufacturer can't tell you which brand of parts to use, but they sure as hell can tell you the required specs for those parts. If a nonconforming aftermarket filter causes damage to other components of the car, you may be SOL on a warranty claim.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Looks like a bunch of well-meaning hogwash, in my opinion. It's a guy who wanted to alter the sound of his car, couldn't figure out a way to change the exhaust, and settled for a foam air filter instead. There's not an ounce of engineering or scientific testing or data, just some vague claims about "reticulated foam."

As with most other mods, the question to ask is this: If this is truly an improvement, why didn't all those Italians with fancy engineering degrees think of it when they designed the car? Sometimes there is a good answer to the question: the reason could be cost savings, fuel economy, pollution concerns, market appeal, new technology, etc. If not, think twice about the mod.

Also, I think the claim about car warranties is BS. The manufacturer can't tell you which brand of parts to use, but they sure as hell can tell you the required specs for those parts. If a nonconforming aftermarket filter causes damage to other components of the car, you may be SOL on a warranty claim.

The cardboard filter is cheaper and that's why it goes into the car when it's stock. At 40 bucks a pop at my price for the paper filter it's only 3 years before I could buy the BMC and never have that expense again. The BMC filter doesn't use foam, it's a guaze filter just like K&N and there are claims that it increases your HP but I bought it for the ability to save loads of air filter money over the long run.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have the BMC too and agree it does not add a lot of HP but that is not always thse case. K&N has lots of dyno data on their site showing pretty sizeable increases (10 - 20HP) and more for cold air intakes.

I wouldn't trust the judgement of those italian engineers either. Take a look at the OEM springs which are a far more critical part than an air filter. Those things would barely keep a farm trailer stable at speed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not a significant increase on a stock NA car. But with the ECU tuned and all the exhaust done. you will start feeling the difference.
just my thoughts. mite be wrong :p

·
Registered
431 Posts
BMC air filter

more air + more fuel = more power (upto a point , surely).

I have BMC air filter from Jeff and am happy with it. I do believe that I now experience a slight "feelable" increase in power.

The original filter might be only $50 but changing it every year or so and possibilty of other work to be done at the dealers at the same time is too lucerative a proposition for them to consider a superior "lifetime" air filter in our cars.

Just my 2 cents in the current climate of recession!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts