Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at the secondary market, and it seems that Maserati is similar to, but not quite as bad as a Ferrari, where more than 2000 miles a year makes it a high mileage car. With that, they seem to stay on the market forever.
Porsches, on the other hand, can seem to rack up quite a few miles and still be sellable.

A I reading this right, or at what point do you think these have too many miles on them to sell?

·
Registered
742 Posts
These cars should be driven...

While Ferrari and Lambo are beautiful exotics you can not put many miles on them, let alone drive them daily. Plus their service costs are insane.

Maserati is different. These cars are much more practical and are meant to be driven. You can easily put 10,000 plus miles a year on your Maserati at a reasonable cost to maintain. (In relation to Ferrari and Lambo) There are a few owners on this board with 50,000 plus miles on their coupes.

Your biggest costs are your clutch and an F1 pump.

Maserati does not have a strong residual value. It may never have one. Its a great car if you plan on buying and driving it. Its an affordable exotic.

I do not think these cars will ever have too many miles to sell. You just need to be realistic in what you want to get. An 02 with 50,000 miles, that has been properly maintained will certainly sell. At what price, I have no idea.

When these used cars start to list in the $30,000 - $40,000 range, I have a feeling they will get snapped up. Young professionals graduating want to get something cool, fun unique.... Brand new 3 series BMW or used but in great shape Maserati??

As long as the car is in excellent shape inside an outside, and you have all the service records it is still a beautiful Maserati and someone somewhere will buy it.

The biggest problem with depreciation is for owners that are debating what to do before their warranty expires. Lets say they can get 40,000 - 50,000 for their coupes. What on earth can you buy and drive new that even comes close to a Maserati for that?

Do you keep your car and be prepared to spend several grand each year to maintain it, or do you put out another 30,000 - 40,000 and get a newer Maz...

Bottom line, these cars are full of passion and if you get a chance you should enjoy one. I smile every single time I turn the ignition on.

Take care. CM

·
Registered
35 Posts
Chris7469, you are quite right, I think - and feel - the same way!

As my dealer told me, here in Germany many owners use their coupes or QPs for daily driving - they are designed for it!

Bert

·
Registered
23 Posts
this in interesting

The F/M store here in Salt Lake has a couple coupes they've had for a few months, but they sold a QP within a week of it coming in. The Neiman Marcus QP they've had for a month or so isn't going anywhere because of the elevated price. At least that's my guess.

·
Registered
291 Posts
FYI I sold my last Coupé after 3 years (36 monthes) with 126'000 km, for 36% of the price I paid (new). Today my new car have 55'000 km, I never had any problems with my M-cars: daily drivers, even in winter (Switzerland), 2 to 6 tracks a year...

These cars a rock solid as any german cars...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Swiss-Maserati said:
FYI I sold my last Coupé after 3 years (36 monthes) with 126'000 km, for 36% of the price I paid (new). Today my new car have 55'000 km, I never had any problems with my M-cars: daily drivers, even in winter (Switzerland), 2 to 6 tracks a year...

These cars a rock solid as any german cars...
How does the Maserati compare to a similar value Porsche or BMW as far as resale goes?
In looking at the cars, I also see that the fuel mileage leaves something to be desired, being about 25% worse than a BMW or Porsche. Does this hurt the resale?.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Try to compare apples to apples....

Fred:

Its very difficult to compare a Maserati with any BMW. I leased a new BMW 3 coupe for 4 years. Loved it. Service was super cheap, gas mileage was very good. The residual at the end of the lease was strong. On my morning commute and in my parking garage I probably see 10 or so BMWs each and every day. They are all over the place and they are nice normal cars. There is always a market for BMW in good shape. They are very practical cars.

I am not as familiar with Porsche. I do know both cars have a higher resale value than a Maserati.

All things equal, I drove a few porsches before I bought my Maserati. I was not impressed. I wanted a big back seat and I liked the Maserati interior. Plus the paddles were a blast. After owning my Maserati I don't think I would buy a Porsche.

I think at a 70,000 - 80,000 plus price point, gas mileage is not a deal breaker. You are spending a lot of money on a vehicle and you know or should be aware of the service costs.

Like many have said before. Maserati does not advertise as much as BMW or Porsche. There are not as many dealerships. There are not extended factory warranties...There are not as many independent Mechanics, they are only sold at Ferrari dealerships... and so on and so on... IMO, those factors impact a cars residual value...

Ran into a lawyer a few days ago. The guy is a car nut and just bought the new porsche coupe... He would not stop talking about it... He asked me if I wanted to see it. I said sure. I could not resist... I drove my Maserati around back to check it out.... His jaw just dropped.. Then he went on to say he would never spend 100,000 on a car just out of principle... when I told him how much it was used... He seemed to get angry... Could not believe such a beautiful car could be bought at such a reasonable price....

Maserati... Its a sleeper... Take advantage of the residual value... Jump on in....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Maserati lower resale values appear to be severe. But few Maserati's are sold at MSRP. Many dealers will sell a brand new one at about $10,000 below MSRP if you take one that they have in stock. About $5,000 below MSRP if you order one to your specs and wait 3-4 months for it to arrive.

Take that into consideration and the resale values are much more reasonable.

Having owned 13 Porsches since 1976, there is only one ('02 911 Turbo) that was as much fun to drive as my '05 Coupe Cambiocorsa.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The lawyer: Which Porsche Coupe??? You must be talking about the Boxster-based Cayman? Yeah, that's a $60,000 car.

If he had the Carrera S, once you add the stuff that any "car nut" would have to have, he's at his "principal" threshold of $100,000 and beyond.

The Cayman is a great car. But it is not as much fun to drive as a Coupe of GranSport.

·
Registered
742 Posts
You are correct...

CCPotenza said:
The lawyer: Which Porsche Coupe??? You must be talking about the Boxster-based Cayman? Yeah, that's a $60,000 car.

If he had the Carrera S, once you add the stuff that any "car nut" would have to have, he's at his "principal" threshold of $100,000 and beyond.

The Cayman is a great car. But it is not as much fun to drive as a Coupe of GranSport.
It was the Cayman... He thought that car was the end all be all...

I agree. The Carrera S and Tubo are incredible machines.... Not trying to bash Porsche, I appreciate all nice cars. I just see Porsches very often.

·
Registered
196 Posts
chris7469 said:
....The guy is a car nut and just bought the new porsche coupe... .... He asked me if I wanted to see it. ..... I drove my Maserati around back to check it out.... ... when I told him how much it was used... He seemed to get angry... Could not believe such a beautiful car could be bought at such a reasonable price........
What a berk. Why can't he just be happy with what he has and happy for you with what you have? i hate envious SOBs....

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
lawyers and principals don't go well in the same sentence.....

he is neither much of a car nut if he doesnt know about maserati's.

i would pick a cayman s over a carrera s, but of course, a maserati over these two porsches.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just drove a Carrera 4S for two hours last week and compared to my 4200 CC, I can't tell which one is better, they are just different!
The Porsche more a sports car, the Maserati a Gran Tourismo (more relaxing to drive if you want it, more space inside, not so noisy, but equally fast).
So you have to make up your mind, what type of car you prefer...
Bert

·
Registered
46 Posts
Residual and Mileage

I daily drive my '03 Cambiocorsa Coupe. I have over 55K miles on it and have finally done a clutch a few miles ago. Car is run on track days a bunch and is generally driven how a Maserati should be.

I figure that my $32k residual at the end of my 5 year lease is low enough that I will just buy the car out and keep it. I will be way over miles so turning it in would be expensive unless I buy something new from the dealer (new Maserati coupe is rumored to be going upmarket to $125K so probably out of my price range).

Basically, buy it, drive it hard, and deal with it at the end. Cars are not investments in anything but fun.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Michael,
The other car I am looking at would be a 997. How does the Maserati value holdup compared to Porsche?
The other question is how hard is it to sell a Maserati with somemiles on it compared to a Porsche.
In following Ebay for the past few months, it seems that Maseriati's with more than 15-20K miles on them seem to hang around forever.

·
Registered
94 Posts
miles and smiles

I would be suspicious of a great car with too few miles and would prefer a driven one as long as it had a documented service history. A car that sits is not good. It may still look new and shiny, but anything that goes unused degrades faster, the rubber and plastics get dry and brittle, the oils and greases don't get circulated and things tend not to get lubricated, gaskets shrink or once you start using the car may seep oil...and so on.
If you bought a house and no one went in for a year there would be cobwebs everywhere.Cars are designed to be used. ..(just not abused).
Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
quick question for the guy who replaced his clutch... what did that run you? if you dont mind me asking. as you can probably tell, im in the market for a beautiful pre owned wonderful machine called the maserati.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Replacement on my 02 CC Spyder was $2800 (California pricing) in the real world expect to pay closer to $2000-$2500.

The first stealership's orginal quote was $6,000. When I told them i had another Maserati Dealer willing to do it for $2800 they came down to $5000. :mad:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts