Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 4k miles, I got my oil (Castrol Syntec 5W/40) anylized at Associated Laboratories Inc.
Resultes:
Iron (15) - Alum (3) - Copper (44) - Chrome (1) - Lead (36) - Tin (2) -Sodium (7) - Dirt (8) - Fuel (0) - Water (0) - Solids (0) - Glycol (0) - Visc (56)
The report stated everything is good, but copper content high.
Report did also say that copper is an additive in some new oils, so maybe this is normal for Castrol Syntec 5W/40?
Anyone who can comment on this?
Thanks - Kai - 05 GranSport

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Boy! - You are great! If I could just have been so funny as you make me, I would had laughed myself. Trouble here is I forgot to use the spell checker!

Any real comments?

·
Registered
40 Posts
In all seriousness. I have no clue what to make of the metal content. Except for it being a Ferrari block, I know all other internals are completely original. I highly doubt anybody will know the alloy content of the internals. I'm always amazed at how complicated these engines have become. It does tell me that a major overhaul is likely to be very expensive. Hopefully somebody with a bit more knowldege will chime in.

You must admit, you created a rather enticing title for a reply.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You must admit, you created a rather enticing title for a reply.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely!! Just in all honesty rather embarrassed!
Thanks for you comments though!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Copper in oil

There are Three kinds of CU{copper} found in oil tests:

1.The smooth CU that can come from airborne soot contaminates. This soot can also contain aluminium,tin, lead, etc...

2.The CU that can come from assembly lube that is put on parts by hand at the factory.

3. The sharp/jagged CU that comes from a bronze or brass part that is wearing or just wearing in.

Put another 4000 miles on the car and retest with the same lab. No lab is perfect, so you will compare the two tests and come up with a trend. That initself is more important then the actual CU #'S

I am not familar with Castrol 5/40's exact properties, CU is in some oils,but in only trace amounts. Remember:EX; 81PPM is only .000081% That is not alot !
Castrol of america does not make its own oil anymore. I do not know its quality or even if it is a true PAO synthetic. Try Red Line or Mobil 1 . European ACEA A3/B3 ratings are superior to american API and ILSAC ratings
Those american testing groups just fight with each other and give in to the car companies on quality.

P.S. Agip oil that is not imported directly from Europe, is just Citgo or Chevron Oil

DrEvil
2005 Gransport{ LEMONED}
2003 Ducati ST4s

"I fought the law...and I won"

·
Registered
681 Posts
Kai,

I honestly can't answer your question but I can send some of my oil in when I get an oil change if it would help you get a comparison.

Regards,
Kevin

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Kevin.
Thanks for your offer, might be a great idea.
My address is:
Kai S. Dyhr
Crossville Inc.
346 Sweeney Dr
Crossville, TN 38555
Phone: 931-484-2110
I will post results when I get them back.

·
Registered
681 Posts
maseratikai said:
Hi Kevin.
Thanks for your offer, might be a great idea.
My address is:
Kai S. Dyhr
Crossville Inc.
346 Sweeney Dr
Crossville, TN 38555
Phone: 931-484-2110
I will post results when I get them back.
Kai,

No problem, do you want me to mail the oil to you? How much do you need?

Let me know I plan on changing the oil in the next 2 weeks.

Regards,
Kevin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts