Maserati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headlights / High-beam: The high-beam bulb used on our vehicles is the style: "H1-55W". The original bulb provides a yellow cast and is unsatisfactory especially compared to the High Intensity low-beam lights. I replaced the bulbs with new from Sylvania: H1 ST Silverstar which gave me a noticeable improvement. (The glass-bulb is blue, but generate a much brighter and whiter light)
Typical cost of original bulb at AutoZone and the likes are ~ $6, the Silverstar, found at Wal-Mart, was $18.72 + tax.
The job of replacement. Either buy the bulbs and let your dealer install them or:
Remove: Front wheels, Inner liner and Plastic cover over the H1-bulb. To open the cover turn counter-clockwise. Prepare a short wooden dowel for leverage (6x28x~50mm) as to help open cover. (To be inserted in the bottom of the cover) This is needed mostly on the driver side, as obstruction is significant and access difficult.
Careful remove (pull back) the wires before removing the bulb. Again on driver side this is difficult, and I ended up removing the bulb with wires, but risk is high for braking the bulb which is under pressure.
Prepare a small wooden stick or small size diameter rigid tube L~300mm for holding the new bulb(s), keep in place by a bit of tape, and re-insert the new bulb. DON'T TOUCH THE GLASS!.
The job is not at all easy, but for sure worth the time and cost!
Enjoy! Kai

·
Registered
35 Posts
Replacing High Beam Bulb

I just noticed my passenger-side high beam bulb was out in my '02 CC and in researching replacement bulbs, the Sylvania Silverstar name keeps coming up as the best choice. However, the Sylvania website has a tool for finding the proper bulb at http://snipurl.com/15dfj and it says there is no bulb avaialble for the '02 Maser. I also suspect that both low and high beam bulbs are the same, so if I were to replace one, I might as well replace both, on both sides. It also seems that what should be a simple bulb replacement is a major undertaking, requiring the wheel to be pulled and body parts to be taken down, then some knuckle-busting squirming to get the job done. So first question is, does anyone know for a fact whether or not the Sylvania Silverstar will fit and, if so, which of their several bulbs is the correct one? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Silverstar Bulb Have High Failure Rate

I have sold Silverstar headlights for many years. Almost 50% of my customers have come back with them burnt out within a monthor two. When I contacted Sylvania at the SEMA show last year, they told me to send each bulb back with the information on the failure. I have been beta testing and selling Wagner TRUVUE bulbs for about one year now with a 0%
failure rate. If you check out other vehicle chat windows, you will fine problems with silverstar bulbs as well {PT Cruiser}.

DrEvil
2005 Maserati GranSport{LEMONED}
2003 Ducati St4s

"I fought the law, and I won"

·
Registered
35 Posts
drevil said:
I have sold Silverstar headlights for many years. Almost 50% of my customers have come back with them burnt out within a monthor two. When I contacted Sylvania at the SEMA show last year, they told me to send each bulb back with the information on the failure. I have been beta testing and selling Wagner TRUVUE bulbs for about one year now with a 0%
failure rate. If you check out other vehicle chat windows, you will fine problems with silverstar bulbs as well {PT Cruiser}.

Thanks for the heads up. With all the effort required to change out the bulbs on these cars, the failure rate is a big concern - I'm not worried about the $10 bulb, but rather, the hours and aggravation spent getting it installed. Do you know if the Wagner bulb is an exact replacement for the OEM and, if so, which model number is appropriate? Also, a source to supply them (a Google search doesn't turn up much). Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
H1 Bulb

Wagner Truvue does not show an H1 in there inventory yet. PIAA is also a good bulb. They are expensive and stay away from there higher wattage replacement bulbs, they will burn your lenses and wiring harnesses.

DrEvil

·
Registered
79 Posts
One thing that many other car enthusiast communites have noticed, is that the Osram Silverstars are in fact brigthers than the Sylvania ones. Sylvania is the United States brand names of the Japanese company Osram, and when they were regionalizing the Silverstar product line for the United States they found that users found that they were more worried about their expensive light bulbs looking "blue like xenon headlights" than they were about maximum lumin output. Thus, if you truly want the maximum amount of light out of a Silverstar, go online, and order an Osram brand silverstar.

-Colleen

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, I went ahead and ordered 2 pair of Osram Silverstars ($48 for all 4, including shipping, on eBay) and after they arive and I get them in, I'll let everyone know how the job went installing them and how much better they are (if at all) from stock. Wish me luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts