Maserati Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

How are Halogen high-beam bulbs supposed to work together with Bi-Xenon headlights? In my car high beams switch on normally on HID side but halogen bulbs won't light up on either side, left or right. When should they light up? I suppose that they should be lit together with HID..

·
Super Moderator
5,017 Posts
I think you'll find they are the 'passing' lights I believe you call them in the US. When you're driving on dipped or no lights and you need to flash someone those are the ones that light as firing up HID's is too slow.

I could be wrong, but give it a try

C

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No It's not. Passing lights are also done with HID by turning "flap" away which makes asymmetrical lighting shape on low beam. There is only one HID bulb per headlight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the fuses and relays and power to the extra high beams (spot lights on cars manual) are ok. I also tried to feed the relay with 12v and lights are working that way. So there is no problem with the electrics but ecu is not controlling the lamps for some reason. I suppose they should be always on when high beams are on?

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
In 2009 QP5 USA models, there is a third bulb in the headlight assembly. The only time the third one illuminates is in the daylight when the turn signal stalk is pulled toward the driver. It's "pull to pass" during daylight hours. At night, doing the same operation flashes the high beam if on low beam. Not talking about the fog lights, which have separate switches. Maybe fog lights that are on turn off when headlamps are on high beam. I have never checked. Fog is rare here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, this solved my "problem". Apparently lights are working then as they should =)

with DRL's on, those extra bulbs are flashing when pulling stalk.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I did some investigation on this and it looks like your lights dial needs to be in position 2 for high beams to work. So try rotating it to AUTO, as it does not work on the '0' setting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts