Maserati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

First post and i'm after some advice... sorry. My father and I got home last night after a good few hundred mile thrash with the new car on the drive. It's a 2003 spyder CC with 5000 miles on the clock, she an absolute peach!

After an evening drive before bed the engine warning light came on. Now I've just started her up after her first night ever of being outside and the exhaust was leaking lots of water at the jubilee clip before the rear exhaust box, wouldn't really call it a silencer! Anyway I got on my hands and knees to tighten them up and I noticed a lovely little mini plate on each exhaust with a serial number and tubi written on it.

Is this likely to be the cause of the light and if so after after several starts will the fault be cleared on the obd.

Many thanks

Matt

·
Registered
681 Posts
90% of the time when one of my Maserati customers calls and complains about the check engine light, it ends up being because they didn't tighten their gas cap enough.

Take it to Autozone or a Maserati dealer. Have them check the engine warning light and see what the cause of the problem is. If it's the gas cap, just have them erase the code. If it's something else take it to the dealer ASAP.

It happened to me first week of ownership, I was very ignorant and paranoid about the Maserati 4200 and had heard so many false rumors. Anytime a light would come on or a noise I'd see a $20k repair bill in my head. Luckily it was the most reliable car I ever owned to date.

By the way, welcome to the forums Matt, hope to hear more from you and your Father.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hello, thanks for the reply. We checked the cap as I did some searching last night and the plastic where it joins to the beautiful alloy for the cap had come adrift. We popped it back together with a smear of vasalene and it's fixed that.

It's been started many times to try and clear the fault code but that hasn't worked. Will disconnecting the battery clear the code, or would it cause further problems.

The nearest garage is 90 miles away and autozones don't seem to exist in the uk.

Once again thanks.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Matt

It should take 5 'on and offs' of the ignition to re-set the warning but I have found the system seems to be a little clever and you need to actually do some miles between them. Alternatively you can switch off at the master switch just ahead of the battery. This is a method my dealer recomended so shouldn't cause any problems - it's been Ok for me so far. I'm getting use to seeing the odd check light so just live with it so long as nothing seems wrong - got one in a traffic jam on the M6 on Saturday and it went out today.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Tex, spot on. On my car that's how I clear fault codes but, it's a bit different on this. What an utterly amazing car!

·
Registered
681 Posts
slow_matt said:
Hello, thanks for the reply. We checked the cap as I did some searching last night and the plastic where it joins to the beautiful alloy for the cap had come adrift. We popped it back together with a smear of silicon sealent and it's fixed that.

It's been started many times to try and clear the fault code but that hasn't worked. Will disconnecting the battery clear the code, or would it cause further problems.

The nearest garage is 90 miles away and autozones don't seem to exist in the uk.

Once again thanks.
My apologies wasn't aware you were in the U.K.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, all sorted. The beautiful lady on the drive has no warning lights. If it does come back on at least we know it wont be the filler cap again!

Thanks chaps

:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts