Maserati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm not yet a Maserati owner/ driver but intend buying a 'previously loved' coupe this year. Perhaps you can help me understanding why in 2002 the 3.2litre engine was replaced with a 4.2 yet only provides an extra 20 horse power.

A 2001/2002 3200 will cost about £22000 while a 2002/2003 4200 costs about £28000, so what am I getting for my money?

Looking forward to your input.

Cheers,

Aqua

·
Registered
153 Posts
The 3200's were fitted with twin turbo chargers. The 4200 engine is essentially the same as they have in the Ferrari F430 - only de tuned. The 4200 unit is a bit more powerful but doesnt suffer from the power surge that the turbos provide - the 4200 is smoother delivery.

·
Registered
279 Posts
No the modena has a smaller capacity... the coupe/spyder/GS are all equipped with the ferrari-made (but not tuned to ferrari standard) engines.

The GS together with the CC and skyhook is closer to the 430 (but for the obvious reasons, is still some way from the setting up of a 430 with a F1 gearbox). the GS is smoother as a daily drive...

i can want to get my GS inside the garage... sigh, the dealership here told me the car will be in May production and hopefully will arrive in Hong Kong by June/early July...

·
Registered
835 Posts
Vincent said:
No the modena has a smaller capacity... the coupe/spyder/GS are all equipped with the ferrari-made (but not tuned to ferrari standard) engines.

The GS together with the CC and skyhook is closer to the 430 (but for the obvious reasons, is still some way from the setting up of a 430 with a F1 gearbox). the GS is smoother as a daily drive...

i can want to get my GS inside the garage... sigh, the dealership here told me the car will be in May production and hopefully will arrive in Hong Kong by June/early July...
that excitement will never go away. first is the waiting then driving :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Andrew said:
Same as the F430? I thought they were the same as the 360 Modena's engine.
Nope, 360 engine is a 3.6 liter, the F430 is a 4.3 liter. The Maserati is a 4.2 liter (detuned F430).

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
There is still flaw in that logic. The 4200 engine was before the F430 by two years. Are they the same block? If so then wouldn't it be correct to say the F430 has a tuned 4200 engine?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
NAPerformance said:
Nope, 360 engine is a 3.6 liter, the F430 is a 4.3 liter. The Maserati is a 4.2 liter (detuned F430).
i agree with Andrew. the 4.2L V8 is not a detuned F430.

(similarly, no one will say the BMW 850csi V12 is a detuned Mclaren F1 engine).

the F430 engine is a highly tuned V8 based on the maserati V8. most articles on the F430 will tell you the details in the design of the engine.

·
Registered
279 Posts
tune up or detuned - not really the question

I think the crux is that ferrari needed someone to try out the new engine... so the coupe got a new block... not being disrecpful but it makes perfect sense that ferrari uses the maserati to test the running of the block instead of dumping the thing into the new 430 - anyone remember all the little problems (or some big ones) with the early 360s mated to a F1 gearbox?!?

I must say, the coupe was a worthy white rat coz it worked pretty good as a package... the GS is an evolution of the process... basically pushing the car closer to a ferrari... whilst retainign the maserati characteristics...

so whether it is a detuned 430 engine with a maserati badge or a tuned up maserati engine in a ferrai body... it is still a bloody good engine.

and we should all be happy with that... except i m still dreaming and longing for it...

by the way, my C4S cab is getting jealous coz i talk too much about the maserati... maserati - does have a sexy ring to it... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
165 Posts
F430 and maser share the same block casting. Maserati does not "detune" the Ferrari engine. They start with the same block, but then Maserati puts on different heads, electronics, and all the air/fuel components. They tune it to be a torquer, not a screamer. I personally like the former quality in my cars, and the latter in my......
:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with v12gte. No one takes the other guy's motor and bumps it up or down. They both share the same baseline and then take them to where they want to/ need to be.

Certainly, they talk to each other, both being in the same vicinity and owned by the same parent. They may have even collaborated a bit on the block. (Wouldn't you do the same if it was your business?). But each has different agendas ... and I think they achieve each very well.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The 4200 engine is very similar to the one in the F430. I spoke with a chap from the UK Ferrari / Maserati company a couple of weeks back while we both happened to be at my dealer. He confirmed the engines are almost the same and described the Maserati as being the 'taster' for the engine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
12 Participants
hmbgransport
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing