Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys Im from Australia! Yes Australia.....you know the insignificant Country far to the South of you guys. Topless women on the beaches, surf sun beer etc.

I am very interested in a Gransport. I own a 545I and previously had a S6 Audi, M5 BMW (E39) and a X5 .

I want something exciting.......................................Am i Looking in the right place? I need a car with Soul.

I have been reading the Forum and my concerns as a Maserati Beginner are

(1) The gearchange......is it to hard to live with
(2) The Future of Maserati with Alfa instead of Ferrari? Will Maserati Become second Rate? What will happen to the Ferrari V8?

Any help on these subjects guys????

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nick
Welcome on board. I'm based in the UK and promise this will be the only time I mention the Ashes :wink:

I've had my 4200 Coupe for nearly two years and love it. Maseratis are not the same as BMW's. BMW's are excellent cars, very reliable, comfortable, good performance etc but just lack the spirit you get from a Maserati. I use mine almost daily and the few small issues I have experienced have been dealt with very well by the dealer. The Maserati certainly has Soul and power by the bucket load. I also like the fact that it is a little understated and there aren't many on the road.

The gear change is fine when you learn to use it. The CC is not an auto box, it has a regular clutch operated by hydraulics. You will learn how to smoothly shift after a week in the drivers seat and soon after it will become second nature. I like the idea that you have to learn the car - it just confirms it is not a 'regular'. When you want the speed, the sport mode gives blisteringly quick changes.

There are other threads on this forum which quote the management at Maserati on the direction of the company. They say they will continue to work closely with Ferrari and that the high end Maseratis will retain the Ferrari engine and running gear.

I bought my Maserati when the local dealer gave me a car for the weekend. Ask your dealer to do the same and see how you get on.

Tim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tim ! Thanks for the excellent answer. I guess regarding the ashes we never recovered from Warneys mobile phone !

I just read the EVO article on the management and thats helped a lot. Im going to take the kids to the dealer on the weekend and give it a go !

Nick

·
Registered
530 Posts
Of course, now I can't find the reference, but one of the on-line mags implied that the "new' coupe and spyder were going to be Pininfarina designs based on the Alfa 166 and with a version of the Alfa 6 cyl.

That may be pure conjecture but we may be the only owners of Ferraratis.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Steeldream said:
That may be pure conjecture but we may be the only owners of Ferraratis.
ferraratis???

i am sorry but i hope you are just playing a joke on words.

i have never heard this word used to describe the current maserati's and it sounds bad taste as much as 'poor man's ferrari'.

if anything, the coupe/spyder that has been under development by maserati is now supposedly the upcoming ferrari dino.
so, that one is a maserari?

sorry but i m a proud owner of a maserati.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Bimbo....thanks The Monza video is great.

Look The Alfa partnership may not be too bad. The New head of Alfa-Maserati did say in evo that the Ferrari V8 WILL STAY in the top end models. I think thats good news !

For Maserati to be profitable they do need a " entry level" car that they will probably spin of the Brera /159 Premium Platform. As most people know Porsche is the most profitable car company in the world and look at the Boxter/Cayman. God they can even sell those ugly Cayennes.

Well Im off to the Melbourne Maserati dealer on the eekend to have a sniff !! :p

Nick

·
Registered
530 Posts
M,

Sorry If I offended you with the Ferrarati comment. Din't mean to be derogatory at all.

I also bought a Maserati - could have gotten a 360 but I prefer the style and the value of the Spyder.

Which goes back to the Pininfarina/Alfa thoughts. Pininfarina's done some beautiful designs, but I don't think the 360 is one of them it's a little too flash for my taste. We see a LOT Ferraris here in the bay area, but I've gotten more comments on the Spyder. People just seem to find it friendlier ( and I think it's a lot classier looking)

The article I saw said Maserati had rejected Giugiaro's follow on concept and asked Pininfarina for a redesign. Dunno that that bodes well for the style.

I think it'd be great if they did go with a variation of the Brera - beautiful car and again Italdesign - especially if it's an "entry" model and they retain the Ferrari DNA in the top end.

On the other hand if they DO shift everything to the Alfa platform and V-6. It wouldn't be so terrible to own one of the 4-5 years production run with the V-8s.

As you can see by the sig, I tend to buy cars that are visually appealing and perfromance oriented and hold them, but eventually ther'es going to come a parting of the ways and if there's a rarity angle that affects residual value I'm all in favor of taking advantage of it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
From what I understand the Alfa 159/Premium platform can be changed to a longitudinal/transaxle/rwd configuration with different subframes. I wouldn't bet a lot of money on it until I see something more definite - but a few people on these forums that seem to have inside technical information seem to indicate that they do.
I suppose a 3.6L V6 with 90 - 100bhp/liter could work.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
two weeks into my GS

AustNick-
I picked up my '06 GS 2 weeks ago. I had only german cars before. i just turned in my CLK55 yesterday. The GS is NOT a german car. It is a sensual and beautiful machine that was built from the heart. It is a completely different ownership experience.

I am just learning the car and the gear box and my best guess is that after about 1000 miles I will be able to get the most out of the car. Learning the car is a wonderful experience, the amount of looks the car gets is unbelievable. there are very few around.

Good Luck

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Sweater Looking for a Drive but The Melbourne dealer doesnt return Phone Calls or emails.....................................can you believe it !

Another story of a good car let down by the dealer network.

Nick :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts