Maserati Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a set of high flow cats from Formula Dynamics to replace the main cats on my 04 Spyder. I want to remove the packing on the pre-cats (the ones integrated with the OEM headers) in order to preempt a meltdown as many have reported the car is prone to this. I have already had my "slowdown" indicator come on once at high speed indicating pre-cat overheating.

Jeff feels that installing these plus removing the packing from the pre cats should yield about 20 HP and be much less restrictive. Combined with the Larini X Pipe and my Tubi's, I am confident that the car will be significantly more aggressive.

Has anyone removed the packing from their pre-cats? If so, did any issues crop up with the downstream O2 sensor falsing. My mecahnic thinks that this coud be an issue. If it indeed does cause a falsing problem, Jeff suggests drilling a new bung hole downstream of the main high flow cats, getting longer wires and then reinstalling the sensor. Anyone tried this?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Changing subject... how does your car sound with the hi-flow cats? Does it sound like a camaro, like some people say?

·
Vendor
4,731 Posts
Hp Cats

High Flow Cats do not sound bad, they flow better and in fact they sound great... it is louder though and not for everyone.

We offer (2) versions: Hi Flow Cats and Race Cats, the main difference being the volume levels / Flow / Construction. Both flow quite a bit better than stock. Flash will be getting the HP Cats to keep the volume lower.

Removing your cats does not sound very good and is not a good idea for emissions reasons. There are certain other exhaust products and combinations that do not sound well at all. Your Maserati can sound like a Camaro if you install the wrong products. Do your homework.

We're running HP Cats, X-Pipe and Larinis. The car runs and sounds amazing. The exhaust combination with the Power ECM / DBW completely transforms the car with respect to acceleration.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.