Maserati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beginning to think I no longer know how to drive....

I have been noticing after slowing down 5 -15 mph and still in second gear, when I go to accelerate I feel a hesitation in 2nd gear when the RPMS are under 2000. Once I give her gas she takes off... For some reason, the low revs in second gear are not smooth...

Low reves in 1st are super smooth??

Is it me? Should I be in first (most times I let the car down shift at such low speeds)? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks CM

·
Registered
73 Posts
2nd gear hesitation

I have been noticing after slowing down 5 -15 mph and still in second gear, when I go to accelerate I feel a hesitation in 2nd gear when the RPMS are under 2000. Once I give her gas she takes off... For some reason, the low revs in second gear are not smooth...

Is it me? Should I be in first (most times I let the car down shift at such low speeds)? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks CM
Chris -

It's not you. The exact same thing happens with my 03 6 speed when I start off in second gear from a rolling stop. There's a brief low RPM hesitation and then it picks up and accelerates fine. My assumption is that it's a quirk in the fuel injection mapping, as I've seen similar FI glitches in various motorcycles that are tuned very lean to meet emissions regs.

An ECU chip or even a performance exhaust might smooth this out a bit. That's what I'm considering if Ali can get us a good deal on a Tubi system...hint...hint...Ali....

Best -

Bill

·
Registered
1,740 Posts

Thanks CM
my 05 spyder does the same. at a certain speed going down a very minor incline, it even stalls... the computer just not very decisive in dropping a gear at that situation.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Chris -

It's not you. The exact same thing happens with my 03 6 speed when I start off in second gear from a rolling stop. There's a brief low RPM hesitation and then it picks up and accelerates fine. My assumption is that it's a quirk in the fuel injection mapping, as I've seen similar FI glitches in various motorcycles that are tuned very lean to meet emissions regs.

An ECU chip or even a performance exhaust might smooth this out a bit. That's what I'm considering if Ali can get us a good deal on a Tubi system...hint...hint...Ali....

Best -

Bill
Bill,

Im on it :]

·
Registered
660 Posts

Thanks CM
Yep, it seems there is some sort of issue with the gear mapping... in order to get it to downshift from 2nd to 1st you have to be at VERY LOW speed/revs... even taking the foot off the gas, coasting to a stop, would make the gearbox change from 2nd to 1st at about 15-10 mph. That said, if you are slowing down (say, approaching a roundabout) and floor it whilst on 2nd at low revs, the engine tends to choke.

Interestingly, my previous coupe did not experience that problem... whereas it is far more noticeable in the GS, meaning that I am alert to downshift manually to 1st in such circumstances... and result..!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks...

Its good to know its not me, it seems like the car and there doesn't really seem to be a way to solve this problem...

I should probably just down shift into 1st manually instead of coasting in 2nd. I figured the car would know better.

My main concern was that there is nothing seriously wrong with the car.

I can and will certainly live with this issue. I have a tubi so I don't think that makes any difference. I just put in a new BMC air filter, so that doesn't effect anything...

I guess it is what it is... I doubt the dealer can do anything about it...

Thanks.. CM

·
Registered
722 Posts
The car does not downshift to 1st while coasting because it would jerk the car violently. If you downshift to 1st yourself, keep your foot lightly on the gas through the shift. I do it all the time for get up 'n' go.

·
Registered
824 Posts
The car does not downshift to 1st while coasting because it would jerk the car violently. If you downshift to 1st yourself, keep your foot lightly on the gas through the shift. I do it all the time for get up 'n' go.
At that speed I would have already grabbed first myself.... it isn't an automatic you know, you need to drive it!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
My opinion is that the car is...

de-tuned by design under 2,500. My thinking behind this is to save the clutch. I know a few times with my 6sp, I slipped the clutch around 3k rpm to gain some quick speed and I was rewarded with heavy clutch smell. I decided to avoid this driving behaviour. I also notice less performance than expected below 2.5k rpm and then a hard hit. I think it is de-tuned by design!!

I also remember a dyno curve that was unexpectedly low at low rpm with a VERY steep HP increase right around the 2.0-2.5k rpm mark.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
108 Posts
I just put in a new BMC air filter, so that doesn't effect anything...
I am VERY new to owning the car, but have been reading a lot of threads on here. Could the filter swap have caused the ECU to be going through a brief re-learn?

Speaking of which, when cars go from owner to owner is it a good idea to reset the ECU? Does the ECU adjust to driver habits good and bad?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts