Maserati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I consider myself WizardSmokey, currently living in the occasionally nice southern California.

I'm here for information about the 4.2/4.7 M136 engine, specifically. I'm not getting the whole car, I just want the engine for a project of mine. I'll be using my own transmission and custom ECU, and fabricating everything else necessary. The main questions I have are about reliability, and where to purchase/what to look for.

As far as reliability is concerned, how well do the engine hold up to track day and racing abuse? I've read all I can about normal preventive maintenance, and it's all far less than what I'll be doing for a racing engine. I'm not really looking at modifying the engine much in regards of power, so no need to worry about that. I just want to know things like, does the engine starve for oil on hard cornering? Does a lot of high RPM time grind bearings away at a frightening rate? Because I haven't been able to find anything about that, I don't think it's an issue, but I want to make sure. The car will be seeing mostly track time, with sporadic jaunts around downtown.

The second part is, where would I look for a reliable place to source an engine? I see them on ebay for $2000 - $4000, but I can't help but be skeptical.

And somewhat going along with the previous question, are there any red flags I should keep an eye out for? Any specific years/versions that should be avoided? I'm not afraid of some work, but I don't want to have to pull this engine out more often than will already be necessary for the swap.

If this needs to be posted in another sub-forum, please let me know.

I thank you guys in advance for any solid advice that can be offered.

3,093 Posts
The engine should be fine for what you are doing and doesn't have any problems in the lower end..They don't normally starve for oil, but remember the car they are fitted in so you can only generate so many Gs..I would want a used 4.7 after 2012 because it will have the updated VVT (variators) in it...Look on Ebay for one is my best advice...Jason

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the difference in the pre-2012 and after 2012 variators? Is it a performance difference or a reliability update? I've been looking at some of the 4.2's just because they're quite a bit cheaper than a 4.7.

3,093 Posts
I'm sure a 4.2 is cheaper...There is no replacement for displacement...lol.....Performance is the same...There was a issue with the earlier engines having a bad rattle at startup because of the VVT design.....Jason

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's just a noise on startup, I am perfectly fine with that, as long as it won't affect anything mechanically.

Right now, there's a 4.2 on ebay for $1,600.

Not going to lie, that's kind of tempting.

3,093 Posts
Man, that looks like it was previously used to anchor a boat... Recognize 4.2s are gonna come in dry sump and wet sump configuration...The dry sump 4.2s have different VVT system not as prone to issues...J

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So for the 4.2, I should be looking at 2001-2008?

Also, say I do get a cheap F136, where would be a good source to get parts, i.e. gaskets, seals and other parts I would want to replace before starting the engine?

I want to thank you for all your assistance so far, your advice has been very helpful.

3,093 Posts
You want a wet or dry sump 4.2? You are gonna need to have an oil tank for a dry sump. Probably gonna want a 2008 and up wet sump to make things easier...Google Maserati parts...Plenty of places online....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, my thoughts are a dry sump system will be a bit easier to get to fit, being able to move the oil tank to a convenient location. Not to mention, g-force starvation would not be an issue. This engine will be going into a racecar, so a bit of hacking and custom routing for a dry sump system is no problem, and oil starvation is a worry. (It's what grenaded the current engine.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oil lines are no issue, as long as I can get the oil pumps to keep up with demand.

And as requested, the racecar. ;)

It's a 2001 Porsche Boxster. The M96 in it is a fantastic little motor, but it's a bit broken, and I want to do something WILD with it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The transaxle will be the one already in the car, I'll just have to make or have someone make a custom bellhousing/adapter.

·
Registered
535 Posts
for clarification and as far as i've learned about the pre vs post 2012 f136 engines, there wasn't a check valve on either head oil feeds to the timing variators (cam sprockets); this would lead to cold starts with no oil pressure until built up after cranking. eventually, this would eat up the sprockets internally a bit, in the variable portions. i've had one instance where the cam shaft profile was altered some also (really expensive cam shaft...), i'm guessing after so many cold starts without getting the issue addressed. this issue also manifests in one other way, a rattle on lift off to deceleration when warmed up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is the fix a replacement of the variators, or is it something to be machined? I've seen a few posts with either answer. I'm leaning towards an F136 from 01-08, and i've read one or two posts saying that they are less susceptible to this issue, and a few saying that they are more likely to have it. I'll probably just end up getting one and rolling the dice.

3,093 Posts
Again, are we talking wet sump or dry sump? Wet sump motors before 2012 or so are prove to variator issues...Fix is installing check valves in cam caps and new style variator...Dry sump engines are not as prove to varaitor issues....J

1 - 19 of 19 Posts