Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized that I have been getting 7.8 mpg... that stinks...

1/4 the tank gone in about a day.

Any tips to getting better mileage?

Thanks!

·
Registered
528 Posts
MaseratiBoy said:

Thanks!
slow down, don't stomp on the throttle, and shift earlier.

I average about 14mpg on my suburban driving comute.

·
Registered
74 Posts
MaseratiBoy said:

Thanks!
I find I get exactly 200 miles to the tank with very little variance. Sounds like you would only get about 150.....something is off. With today's gas prices, that's worth getting checked.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I shift at around 4k rpms...

I dont slam on the gas when I want to go...

how would I bring it up at the dealership?

"hey, my mileage sucks... whats wrong?"

·
Registered
722 Posts
That's about how you'd say it. They should check airflow sensor, O2 sensor, etc.

BTW, my gas gauge is way nonlinear - full to 3/4 tank is ten gallons; 3/4 to empty is ten more. I assume that's not your issue.

·
Registered
528 Posts
MaseratiBoy said:
I shift at around 4k rpms...

I dont slam on the gas when I want to go...

how would I bring it up at the dealership?

"hey, my mileage sucks... whats wrong?"
On my mt car, there is an UP light that lights up in the gauge cluster when the car thinks you should upshift for best economy.

Do you have one of these?
I think you are shifting at too high rpm for best fuel economy.

As I recall, My car wants me to shift at about 2K when just tooling around town.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Steve said:
I find I get exactly 200 miles to the tank with very little variance. Sounds like you would only get about 150.....something is off. With today's gas prices, that's worth getting checked.
I get around 175 miles to the tank so I'm getting 9 mpg. I do stomp it and shift high. Agressive launches on a CC minimizes clutch wear ;)

·
Registered
681 Posts
I do quite a bit of highway driving (TX-OK and OK-TX) every week so I was averaging about 280 on the highway. Now when I'm driving around town and romping on it 10mpg is average.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have 6-sp manual, looks like manual has better mileage than CC. Like I've said, I drive my 6-sp hard in San Fran and Pacific Heights area but my mpg has never dipped below 10.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Me and my CC got 14.1 last week in mixed city-freeway driving, with occasional hooliganism.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Rtfm

According to the manual, for best fuel economy, you should shift into second gear at 15mph, and upshift again every additional 5mph. Finally shifting into 6th at 35mph.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Fred said:
According to the manual, for best fuel economy, you should shift into second gear at 15mph, and upshift again every additional 5mph. Finally shifting into 6th at 35mph.
RIGHT!!!!!! Go ahead Fred, tell us how that works out for you :D

I just realized the reason I get such crappy mileage... I'm addicted to that wonderful grunt the car makes through the torque curve. That and that feeling the rear end is going to break loose any second during that sound :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I drive the pi$$ outta mine and get 12 and change around town, around 19 on the highway (at 70-100 MPH, usually).

·
Registered
74 Posts
BeeYouZeeZee said:
I get around 175 miles to the tank so I'm getting 9 mpg. I do stomp it and shift high. Agressive launches on a CC minimizes clutch wear ;)
BeeYou,

I'm a little surprised.....do you drive it extremely hard? I find no matter how I drive it, I get 200 miles. I always reset the odomoter after fillups, and it's uncanny how it's always the same basic mileage. I push the car, but nothing out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
45 Posts
MPG Calcs

BeeYou,

I'm a little surprised.....do you drive it extremely hard? I find no matter how I drive it, I get 200 miles. I always reset the odomoter after fillups, and it's uncanny how it's always the same basic mileage. I push the car, but nothing out of the ordinary.
How are you calculating your fuel economy? I assume u are taking the # gallons filled divided by difference in odometer reading.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts