Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Hope everyone is having a good weekend this far. I am having issues with my 2014 GTS convertible. I drove it last night (got home a bit after midnight) and then car drove fine but when I tried to drive it earlier today (6pmish), the car wouldn’t start. I can hear the starter try to crank but it seemed like there just wasn’t enough power to start the car. I had plans so I drove my other car and on my way home I stopped at Walmart and picked up a battery charger/maintainer (3amps) to charge the battery in hopes that it would resolve the issue. So after fully recharging the battery, I’m still unable to start my car. Worst yet, now my key is stuck (good thing the top is down, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to get into the car). So my concern is that it may not be the battery but something more serious. I plan to have it looked at but would prefer to drive it there rather than have it towed. Has anyone had similar experience before? Any ideas/advice? I do have the FD DBW, not sure if that makes a difference. I was hoping maybe [email protected] or the guys at FD may have some suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi everyone,
Hope everyone is having a good weekend thus far. I am having issues with my 2014 GTS convertible. I drove it last night (got home a bit after midnight) and the car drove fine but when I tried to drive it earlier today (6pmish), the car wouldn’t start. I can hear the starter try to crank but it seemed like there just wasn’t enough power to start the car. I had plans so I drove my other car and on my way home I stopped at Walmart and picked up a battery charger/maintainer (3amps) to charge the battery in hopes that it would resolve the issue. So after fully recharging the battery, I’m still unable to start my car. Worst yet, now my key is stuck (good thing the top is down, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to get into the car). So my concern is that it may not be the battery but something more serious. I plan to have it looked at but would prefer to drive it there rather than have it towed. Has anyone had similar experience before? Any ideas/advice? I do have the FD DBW, not sure if that makes a difference. I was hoping maybe [email protected] or the guys at FD may have some suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx. May try to swap it out today. If that doesn’t work I will give you a call tomorrow and maybe have my car towed to you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried to find an interstate one but no luck. So just bought the only one I found find at advanced auto and installed it. Still not starting. I can hear the car almost turn but just doesn’t seem to be enough to get it going. I plugged in a battery charger to see if I can get it started. Not sure if it’s bc it’s a less quality battery. If so, I can come by your way [email protected] and buy the interstate one and just return the one I bought today. But if it doesn’t start, any other ideas? Or should I just have it flatbedded to you [email protected] tomorrow? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I would just have it flat bedded...The chances of just having a brand new battery and it being bad are kinda slim....If you need a wrecker service...770-432-2613...They will come pick it up and bill us so no need to be there and screw up your Monday morning...Jason

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ugh. Just my luck. Ok. If it won’t crank I will have it flatbedded over. It may be tomorrow afternoon or Tuesday because I have class tomorrow. But I will give your shop a call beforehand just so you guys have a heads up. Thx again.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
I know that diagnosing a problem over the Internet is silly unles it's something so common to a particular model that you can narrow it down to just one or maybe two culprits .
And although Porsches and Maserartis are apples and oranges , when Porsche engines turn over but just won't fire up it's typically one of three things : a faulty fuel relay , a faulty crank position sensor , or a faulty ignition coil . Listed in the order of probable causes . For whatever it may be worth.
But since you're taking the car to Jason , you won't have to guess , you'll have the right answer in no time ..
Let us know what it was ..

·
Registered
244 Posts
You should revert the car to stock by quickly unplugging the DBW and plugging in the bypass plug and see if that resolves the problem. Also triple check battery connections are tight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,
Hope everyone is having a good weekend this far. I am having issues with my 2014 GTS convertible. I drove it last night (got home a bit after midnight) and then car drove fine but when I tried to drive it earlier today (6pmish), the car wouldn’t start. I can hear the starter try to crank but it seemed like there just wasn’t enough power to start the car. I had plans so I drove my other car and on my way home I stopped at Walmart and picked up a battery charger/maintainer (3amps) to charge the battery in hopes that it would resolve the issue. So after fully recharging the battery, I’m still unable to start my car. Worst yet, now my key is stuck (good thing the top is down, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to get into the car). So my concern is that it may not be the battery but something more serious. I plan to have it looked at but would prefer to drive it there rather than have it towed. Has anyone had similar experience before? Any ideas/advice? I do have the FD DBW, not sure if that makes a difference. I was hoping maybe [email protected] or the guys at FD may have some suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hi make sure nothing is draining the battery . I had a similar issue happen to my 2014 GTS. The cooling fan kept running ater I shut off the engine and it was draining the battery unbeknownst to me. Even the dealer couldnt figure it out. Eventually I figured out what was happening, and replaced the fan relay myself for a total cost of $30 and the car had been perfect ever since. I experienced all of the same symptoms you described. check it out. Sounds like the same issue.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
No, the alternator wasn't seized...It was dead when I got to the shop...I put a jump box on it and it started and the alternator had good output for about one minute and then went south...Jason

·
Registered
1 Posts
No, the alternator wasn't seized...It was dead when I got to the shop...I put a jump box on it and it started and the alternator had good output for about one minute and then went south...Jason
Thanks for the update, wish I was in ATL to use your services....my GT is running fine but just curious do you have a repair shop recc for Baltimore? ...trying to avoid driving to DC/Northern Virginia if theres a problem

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes alternator was bad. Sucks alternator went out when the car has less than 23k miles on it. But the price we pay for our toys. Jason worked his magic and got her back in about a day. As always Jason and Vance at Enzos were awesome. If anyone is in or around Atlanta, highly recommend Enzos Atlanta. I just wished they worked on more manufacturers. I would much rather pay these guys then Tesla. Hate those bastards. Thanks again Jason for your help. Hope I won’t need it again until next oil change.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
That does suck when the alternator goes out at just 23 K miles . ! Jason, do you see these early failures to be common with our cars, or is this just one of those unlucky outliers cases ? BTW, who makes the ( OE ) alternator ?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
They normally last longer than that, but stuff can just fail..Not the norm, but they usually don't last a 100K....Denso makes the alternator..Jason

1 - 20 of 20 Posts