Maserati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd sincerely appreciate any guidance as my local Maserati dealership has been unable to resolve this frustrating issue in my 2 visits to them with my 02 Spyder GT.

For the past couple of years (every few months before and now EVERYDAY since my last visit to Maserati dealer), I get a whistling noise that sounds through my speakers. It happens when I hit a bump. I can be cruising along without any disturbance and when I hit a bump, a whistling noise sounds through speakers and increases pitch and volume with acceleration. To me, it sounds like a short somewhere caused by something moving and contacting metal when shaken.

So, while under warranty, I took to Maserati along with other warranty work. They said they fixed it and it was due to the passenger door speaker being installed upside down. Weird since the speakers are stock and to my knowledge, never been touched. Despite being charged a couple hundred bucks by Maserati, I was pleased that sound was gone.

Then several months passed and I hit a bump and back came the noise. I took it back to the dealer with the car now out of warranty. I noted that it's the same noise and spoke to same guy who listened to the noise with me and remembered it from year prior. They kept it a week and again said they fixed it (and again charged me a couple hundred bucks) but this time said they again focused on the passenger door speaker and did something to further insulate it. He assured me that the problem was resolved. As I pulled out of dealer parking lot, I heard the whistle again. I pulled back in and brought him out to the car so he could hear it. He said for me to leave the car with him when I can again be without it for a while. I haven't brought it back yet.

I don't think they have a clue what's wrong. I personally think it has nothing to do with the stereo system per say but instead the speaker is just the means of transmitting the sound from the short that's occuring somewhere in the car. Anyone have any thoughts? And do you think I should take it back to Maserati or seek out an electrical guy (e.g. a car stereo / entertainment system shop)?

Here'a a few additional observations that may help someone identify the cause & a possible solution:

1) Noise starts with stereo on or off
2) If noise starts with stereo on, the noise through speaker does not disappear when stereo turned off
3) Before 2nd visit where they did some insulation work to passenger speaker, the noise came out evenly from both speakers and music played out of both speakers. Now since that work was done, driver's speaker loses all audio when noise begins and the whistling & music only transmits out of passenger speaker.
4) I found that sometimes I can eliminate whistling sound and regain audio out of both speakers by briefly increasing stereo volume to full strength then turning down... well until the next bump when the whistling comes back
5) I can often get whistling noise to end by turning off car at traffic light and re-starting
6) I've tried putting in a bigger fuse but that did not help
7) I can take out stereo fuse and I eliminate noise (but am musicless....)
8) I've looke dunder the dash and I don't see any obvious wire contact issues

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that someone may have a thought on the problem and a potential solution. Many thanks!!

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Two questions:

1) Do you have the Skyhook suspension?

If #1, it sounds to me like interference from the sensing/actuating system in the Skyhook.

2) Do you have a Blackberry?

Most Blackberries will generate noise in all kinds of electronic devices that have a speaker (TV, radio, speakerphone).

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I don't have a Blackberry but not sure about the Skyhook suspension. I will have to take a look.......

Thanks again.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had this experience with the Auditorium stereo.

Dealer disconnected power amplifier and stereo was fine.

Dealer ordered replacement power amplifier and problem seems to be resolved.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great! Thanks for the info. That just might be the tip I need to end this miserable noise and multiple trips to the dealership! I will let you know how things work out. Take care and happy holidays

·
Registered
2 Posts
Buzzing sound through the radio

I had a similar problem on my BMW. If the volume on the radio is turned all the way off you still hear the noise, right? If this is the case, the noise you are hearing is due to EMF coupling into you audio amplifier.

You can diagnose whether it is picking up the noise from the RF (radio) circuit or the power circuit by disconnecting your radio antenna from the back of your receiver. If the noise goes away when you disconnect the antenna, you have some type of issue with the shielding on the antenna or other circuit problem in the receiver. If the noise is still there, it is likely noise that is being fed along the power line into the back of the receiver and coupling in (as was the case in my car).

·
Registered
603 Posts
If the volume on the radio is turned all the way off you still hear the noise, right? If this is the case, the noise you are hearing is due to EMF coupling into you audio amplifier.

You can diagnose whether it is picking up the noise from the RF (radio) circuit or the power circuit by disconnecting your radio antenna from the back of your receiver. If the noise goes away when you disconnect the antenna, you have some type of issue with the shielding on the antenna or other circuit problem in the receiver. If the noise is still there, it is likely noise that is being fed along the power line into the back of the receiver and coupling in (as was the case in my car).
I while back I posted the following but no one ever provided an explanation. It sounds like it might be explained by your diagnosis quoted above! I was concerned that the dealer told me other QP's do this and there is nothing to be done. Is that correct?

"I have noticed from day one an annoying intermittent hiss from the speaker of my 07 QP. It is most obvious from the driver's side front speaker (maybe just because it is closest to me) It occurs whether the mute button is on or not, i.e. it can be heard over the top of music (CD or Radio) and also when the mute button is pressed. It lasts about 5 seconds in length, every couple of minutes. I wonder if it might be some kind of feedback from the electronics in the car. I have tried switching off my cell phone thinking it might be causing some interference as well, but still the hiss is there. The dealer says other QPs do it and there isn't anything to be done. Any thoughts?"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another Check

I forgot, another easy check to see at what point the noise is interning the system is to put the radio on AM. Is the noise much louder or about the same?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Emf

EMF coupling refers to any harmonic noise you hear that is frequency (tone) dependent on the RPMs of the car. White noise doesn’t change frequency with RPMs.

If your problem is white noise, it is likely due to the electronics in the receiver, amplifier or wiring to the speaker.

If your problem is harmonic noise that is coupled to the RPMs of the car it can be due to noise coupling on the power line to the receiver or amplifier, problems with the radio antenna, internal problems with the receiver or amplifier but not due to wiring to the speakers.

·
Registered
603 Posts
White noise

EMF coupling refers to any harmonic noise you hear that is frequency (tone) dependent on the RPMs of the car. White noise doesn’t change frequency with RPMs.

If your problem is white noise, it is likely due to the electronics in the receiver, amplifier or wiring to the speaker.
So if I understand this correctly, my problem seems then to be white noise, not harmonic as it is unrelated to RPM. It is intermittent but regular. Is it possible there is some electronic process happening in the car such as the skyhook sensing that might cause this as suggested earlier in this post? Since skyhook sensing occurs many times a second, I wouldn't have thought this to be a likely cause. Are there other processes occuring which might occur every 1-2 minutes?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, mine definitely changes pitch according to RPM (higher pitch as I accelerate) so I will have it checked out somewhere and tell the technician what you have recommended. Thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks, mine definitely changes pitch according to RPM (higher pitch as I accelerate) so I will have it checked out somewhere and tell the technician what you have recommended. Thanks!
I have the same problem as yours. I took off the passenger speaker because it was so annoying. If you know what is the problem please post it here. I will try to fix it myself. Mostly it take lot of time for the dealer to find this kind of small problem.

pganmol

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting, I didn't think to simply disconnect the door speakers until fixed. I actually removed the fuse for radio / navigation so I am whistleless but also musicless.

Meanwhile, I will let you know if any of these great recommendations workout so you can fix yours too.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again to all of you whom have helped. I just wanted to update you that I took my car back to the local Maserati dealer with a detailed 3 page letter of tips you provided and others received from colleagues. I decided to give the dealer another try since it is a rare car and more so because I am stubborn! I told them that I first brought my car to them with this noise under warranty then again after and both times they did not fix it. I told him not to return it to me until it is resolved and told him that I expect it to be free of charge since they failed to fix it propoerly while under warranty. He apologized and said they would resolve it but these things can be difficult and Maserati doesn't do much to help them diagnose these types of issues which is a frustration to him.

Well, it's been a full 2 weeks and I haven't hard from them yet. I plan to call tomorrow and am keeping my fingers crossed. Wish me luck!

I will let you know how things shake out.....

Thanks again!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Two questions:

1) Do you have the Skyhook suspension?

If #1, it sounds to me like interference from the sensing/actuating system in the Skyhook.

2) Do you have a Blackberry?

Most Blackberries will generate noise in all kinds of electronic devices that have a speaker (TV, radio, speakerphone).
and almost any Motorola/Nextel with push to talk seem to create the same odd noises around speakers. Could the motor from the power windows be interferring somehow?

·
Registered
518 Posts
This can also be indicitive of a bad or loose alternator ground strap and may be as simple as replacing the ground strap from the casing of the alternator to the chassis.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Issue Resolved!!

First, I'd like to thank all of you that posted to help me with this issue. I collected all of your ideas and gave them to my local Maserati dealer.

I just picked up the car yesterday after having it at the dealer for 1 month. They finally resolved the issue. They found a pinched cable on the amplifier wiring circuit which caused a short in the amplifier. They replaced the cable and the amplfier and it appears to have resolved the issue. I am so happy to finally rid of that annoying noise.

Again, many thanks to everyone. Take care!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fixed in Jan 2008 after months of work....... BUT IT'S BACK!

I can't believe it, the WHISTLING SOUND IS BACK!

My local dealer had this car for a solid month in 2007/2008 trying to resolve the issue. And this was the 2nd or 3rd time I had brought it to them in this time period to resolve. Thanks to your help, they finally found a pinched pinched cable on the amplifier wiring circuit. Once replaced, the whistling noise went away.

I've driven about 10k miles since then without issue. Yesterday, I was driving home, hit a little bump and the noise came back. I can't believe it!!!! Same/similar noise. It's an electronic whistle noise with a pitch that increases as RPMs increase. It continues with stereo on or off. When the car is started there is no noise but the noise starts within about 10 seconds. About the same amount of time for the Info Center to boot up. Then when I hit a bump, sometimes the noise goes away then comes back when I hit the next bump. Very frustrating. As a temporary way to eliminate the whistling sound, I plan to remove the stereo system fuse (that worked last time) but I'd really like to get it fixed so I have full functionality without the noise!

Any thoughts what it can be? Anyone else have this issue? I am reluctant to bring it back to the dealer without some clear ideas since the first couple of times I did that, they really had NO clue and were not able to fix it.

I appreciate ANY help you can provide. Thank you!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts