Maserati Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very close to buying one of two 2005 Coupe GTs with Skyhook. Both in excellent condition, similarly optioned. I am happy with both colors/interiors. Both are one-owner cars with clean CarFax reports and both have factory warranty till March 2009. The dilemma I have is:

One car has 11,000 miles and is being sold by a very reputable independent dealer.

The other car has 20,000 miles and is being sold by the Ferrari/Maserati dealer who has serviced it since new and has performed official FM inspection.

So it is tradeoff of higher milage with offical FM seal of approval or significantly lower milage without official FM seal of approval...

The asking price on the 20,000 mile car from FM dealer is $5,000 higher than the other car (and it has more options worth about $3,500 (orig. MSRP).

Which do you think is the smarter buy?

Thanks for input!

Shaun

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
oh wow. you are lucky to find such dilemma. how closely can they get?
i would say pick the one you feel better it. whichever one your gut instinct tells you is a better car. or if you like one color better.

perhaps the 20,000 mile car may even better service record and up to date maintenance done compare to the less driven one.

what extra options does it have? perhaps there is more room for negotiation on the $5000 higher priced one.

if that doesnt help, pick the one that smells nicer.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I am very close to buying one of two 2005 Coupe GTs with Skyhook. Both in excellent condition, similarly optioned. I am happy with both colors/interiors. Both are one-owner cars with clean CarFax reports and both have factory warranty till March 2009. The dilemma I have is:

One car has 11,000 miles and is being sold by a very reputable independent dealer.

The other car has 20,000 miles and is being sold by the Ferrari/Maserati dealer who has serviced it since new and has performed official FM inspection.

So it is tradeoff of higher milage with offical FM seal of approval or significantly lower milage without official FM seal of approval...

The asking price on the 20,000 mile car from FM dealer is $5,000 higher than the other car (and it has more options worth about $3,500 (orig. MSRP).

Which do you think is the smarter buy?

Thanks for input!

Shaun
If you plan to actually keep and drive the car then it seems like a pretty straightfoward decison. Take the one with 1/2 the mileage at a $5K savings. The options are not worth much at resale so it is a personal choice if they are worth paying extra for.

Personally, if I were buying a car (and I did about a year ago), I would not pay much of a premium for a car with a detailed dealer record given the low mileage you are considering. What exactly are you getting? The car probably has only had two or three oil changes and no other service!!

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
All things equal, I wouldn't pay a premium of $5K and 10,000 miles for a car just because it is coming from an FM dealer. Both are '05s and have some warranty left. One only has 10K miles on it - I'd go for that one. For 5K you've got a budget for upgrades if you want them. Check this board out recently for some of the stuff coming out of Formula Dynamics (no affiliation).

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
I agree with the above posters, the premium for the "FM seal of approval" seems too steep.

You can always add most options through after market outlets anyway.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Great dilemma. I can tell you that miles are like gold and you can't undo them, so the 11K car has that premium value. I'm a week away from having a slew of the FD mods made, and that will be a couple of $K, so figure if you made that move as well you'd be in an improved car and still have money in your pocket.

I don't think you commented: are you able to get the service record on the 11K car? Surely it was maintained somewhere.

In the end, as M! says it's the gut, in this case the inputs will be value, money, mileage and then the small intangibles.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I would base it on the extra options. I agree they are not relevant to resale price but if they are useful options (e.g. park distance control) I'd go for the car which had more options +/- which one has most clutch life left.

Surely the 20k car has had the clutch replaced once already?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input, very helpful. On the 20k car, I have asked the dealer to confirm clutch life remaining. What is "normal" clutch life for a Maserati standard manual 6spd transmission..? What is cost of new clutch?

Thanks!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Thanks for the input, very helpful. On the 20k car, I have asked the dealer to confirm clutch life remaining. What is "normal" clutch life for a Maserati standard manual 6spd transmission..? What is cost of new clutch?
Oh sorry, I missed they were both GTs. This probably isn't such a big issue then. As I said in another post, I would value service records (which a private seller may have) over mileage.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I would take both cars

to an independent to see if they all check out... If both cars are equal in quality then take the one with the fewer miles for less money... Clutches in the paddle shift Maser last about 25k miles, the other lasts longer depending on the driver...

·
Registered
695 Posts
And now, for a different POV. And is dependent upon one's future car purchases, so only you can answer it.

I would give some thought to something as simple as a dealer relationship. Many FM dealers have some sort of "primo cliente" program. (It may be advertised or unadvertised). This has both tangible and intangible benefits. For example, my dealer ate a repair and part replacement that was refused by MaseratiNA warranty, that was neither mine nor the dealer's fault.

Another intangible reason is also a very optimistic one - without a dealer relationship, the chances of being put on the Ferrari "list" is practically nil.

So, if after subtracting the $3500 in (meaningful?) options, the difference between cars is $1500 and 10K miles...for me, the FM car would probably the primary pick.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Agree with Bcube. Been going to the same (official) dealer for the last 8 years and we have a great relationship. Rare parts appear out of thin air, service bays open up magically and of course, great purchasing exeperiences. Works well when your car purchases tend to be from the same marque or group of marques but obviously less well if you tend to move around a lot.

To each his/her own on this one - its clearly a trade off if you like to wrench your own or enjoy finding "deals" on parts all the time but one worth considering depending on your car ownership experience priorities.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts