Maserati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just order the 9th Granturismo in Korea last week (which costs US$230K here by the way). Although the waiting time is four months for the car to arrive, I was very excited to say the least............until now. I just heard from my dealer that the 20" Ball polished rims are no longer being produced and that I will not be able to order them, period. I am extremely extremely pissed off. Actually, the more appropriate description is......I'm am utterly depressed.

Does anyone know what the deal is with the stoppage of production for ball polished rims? Anyone know how to get my hands on a set of those after-market?

Someone please HELP!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ball polished 20"s haven't been available for several months so your dealer has been putting this conversation on the back burner for quite some time. From what i have been told, the supplier has been unable to accurately produce the wheels with the ball polished finish.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply

Maserati Korea just opened in December, and the salesmen don't know what's going on. The 8 GTs sold before mine had 19" wheels because the buyers weren't very picky. I am the youngest GT buyer in Korea (29) and I admit I am very picky. The dealer didn't know until recently when they put in the order that ball polished production has been halted.

Do you know if there is any word if they will re-start production?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sorry, that makes more sense for the dealer to be blind sided about the situation. You should at least be able to get the Birdcage 20" wheels in the painted silver finish. From what I've heard, ball polish finish isn't currently available on the GT, period. And I am not aware if/when they will reactivate this option.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was told by my dealer in the UK that the ball polished option has been discontinued due to an extremely low take up on this wheel by customers when spec'ing their cars thus making continued production unviable for Maserati.

·
Registered
909 Posts
From my understanding the Ball-Polished wheel shortage \ availability problems are tied to BBS' financial woes. Back in February of 2007 BBS announced bankruptcy proceedings, but I can't find much recent information about the state of their affairs: (this is from May '07: http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Volkswagen-Golf/225552/

From BBS-USA.com
"BBS International GmbH, a wholly owne subsidiary of Punch International NV

Schiltach, August 6, 2007. Today BBS opens a new chapter in the companies history. Belgian Punch International NV takes over operations of BBS International GmbH.

The group with headquarters in Sint Martens Latem employs a staff of more than 3.000 worldwide and runs different businesses. For more information please go to www.punchinternational.com.

The BBS brand will produce sustainably light alloy wheels for motorsport and passenger car applications at both German locations. Thus, the wheels from the Black Forest region maintain their reputation for quality and innovation "Made in Germany"."

I don't have much specific information, but hopefully it's something that will be worked out in the near term. I know the wheels were certainly popular with our customers.

- Mark

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys, thanks for the great feedback. Seems like I should just forget about getting the 20" polished rims. I had some faint hope that by the time my order gets churned out (July), the ball-polished production would re-start.

I am going to get the regular painted silver 20" rims, and see how it looks. If it's unsatisfactory, I am considering chrome-plating it. From what I've heard, they strip the top layer of painted silver and re-coat it with chrome. Upside: will look very nice, and shinier than ball-polished. Downside: it could come out looking really cheezy. Since the car will be a shiny blu oceano, I think it should look good, especially because the 20" birdcage wheels have a lot of open space the actual chrome portion won't be too overwhelming.

Let me know your thoughts: chrome will look awesome? -OR- chrome will make it look ghetto?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would be lil peeved too, and re order the new gts with the 4.7 litre v8 it will be available shortly and present gt owners will be a bit gutted to see their prices plummet, stay one step ahead , there are some cool aftermarket 20" available either at modena racing or wheel executives .you have plenty of time to re-organise

Regards loz

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would be lil peeved too, and re order the new gts with the 4.7 litre v8 it will be available shortly and present gt owners will be a bit gutted to see their prices plummet, stay one step ahead , there are some cool aftermarket 20" available either at modena racing or wheel executives .you have plenty of time to re-organise

Regards loz
waiting 4 months for the GT is painful enough... don't think i can wait until 2009 (when GT S will be available in Korea) to get it. i'm seriously considering shifting my focus and getting a Aston Martin Vantage instead. only problem is convincing the wife. she okayed the GT because it was a four-seater :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts