Maserati Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear forumers, am new to this forum and need help.

Am looking at a used 4200GT CC. Test drove a 4 yr old CC with 35k miles and the drive was great! Nothing like the German cars I'm used to :) , super engine and exhaust note (on TUBI), rides well, great F1 shift, and actually sits 4 adults!

Have also seen a 2 yr used CC with 1 year warranty remaining and option to purchase additional 1 yr warranty at $5k anytime (ie. 2 yrs warranty from now if I pay $5k later).

Only problem is that where I live, cars are really pricey, and the diff. in price between 2 and 4 yr old cars are about $40k. 4 year old car is within my price range but worried about lack of warranty, although car is fully serviced by the FM dealer and it's being sold on consignment through the FM dealership.

Any advice about reliability of 4 yr old cars, esp. from those who own them? I'm not talking about small faults that are reasonable to fix but major problems that will cost me more than the price differential.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
My car (a GranSport) was almost 3 years old when I bought it and it's behaved impeccably. Issue to look into is the clutch: has it been changed? I would expect to put in a new one on a 4 year old car that has been driven a bit.

·
Registered
695 Posts
DRV,

You might want to give a bit more info in order to seek better informed opinions.

You say car (A) is four years old? That makes it a 2004? There was a face and booty lift in 2005. Plus the GrandSport was introduced with a different interior.

Car (B) is 2 years old? a 2006? How many miles? The last years of a model generation are generally the best...

Based upon your current incomplete question, the best answer I can give is: 42 :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

BCube,

Car A is a 2004 and Car B is a 2006 registration.
I've seen and drove the 2004 car, but have not seen the 2006 car in person.
Both are the regular 4200 CC in "grey" with black interior, not the GranSport version.

Do they still produce the regular CC in 2006? Car B may be YOM 2005, I'm going to find out ASAP.

I saw a 2006 MC Victory in Blue and it was fantastic. But the price is way out of me range.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

BCube,

Car A is a 2004 and Car B is a 2006 registration.
I've seen and drove the 2004 car, but have not seen the 2006 car in person.
Both are the regular 4200 CC in "grey" with black interior, not the GranSport version.

Do they still produce the regular CC in 2006? Car B may be YOM 2005, I'm going to find out ASAP.
I don't have numbers, but the majority of '06s were GS. The Coupe was still available - although, all the '06 Coupe CCs that I have seen usually have the Vintage Pak option.

Back to your original question: As mentioned before, see if you can get the service records. There should have been at least one clutch replacement by now. It will probably be heading for another replacement soon.

If the facelift bumpers are not a concern, if there isn't excessive wear and tear, and if you are comfortable not having any time left on the warranty - then, I don't see a 40K difference between the cars.

·
Registered
224 Posts
the diff. in price between 2 and 4 yr old cars are about $40k.
$40K is a pretty major difference in price. If the age & warranty is the only real difference between them, I'm not sure 1 year of warranty (or two years - except now the difference is $45K) is worth $40K - there would have to be an awful lot wrong with the older car to eat up that much difference. You haven't told us too many other details, so there could be other factors (mileage being the big one).

I agree that reviewing the service records of the 4 year old car is important - the FM dealer should also be able to give you a readout of the clutch life, although even if it needs a new clutch, I wouldn't see it as a deal killer - don't know what the service runs there, but here a new clutch is a $3-$4 job.. again, nothing like the $40K difference. Oh - and the clutch is a mileage issue, not an age issue, so the 06 could need a clutch, too - and those generally are not covered under the warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am in Singapore... where cars are really costly due to taxes :mad: but there are all sorts of rebates when you sell em.

From what I know, a new Coupe CC costs about $270k... sold at 10 years, about $50k tax rates back. So looking at $22k per year depreciation overall.

In any case, both cars I was told by the dealer are fairly identical in terms of milage per year, condition (quite good), mods (only TUBI exhaust), and color.

The price for the 2004 CC is about $140 to 145 while it's more than $185 for the 2006 CC. Depreciation is very steep, more than 1/2 for the 2004 CC. So those currently living in the US consider yourselves very lucky. I sure was when I was living there...

Cost for new clutch is $3.5 to 4... so not too worried about that. More worried about major gremlins like major electrical faults, gearbox, engine, etc...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
are you ready to take that $40k+ depreciation in the next 2 years? if not, take the 04. i do not see why you would go for a 06 reg CC instead of a GS.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi DRV,

Im from your neck of the woods and nice to see someone taking an interest in the wonderful 4200 CC over here. Im not going to profess to know what are the potential problems or problems on 4200 as Im pretty new to ownership as well. I think you will find enough info on these boards to give you an idea. But from the friends I know whom have had their 4200s (including the car you tried at HSM) up until they upgraded had trouble free ownership. I only know of one person whom had to replace his clutch during the warranty period but that person was really rough on his car so it was more due to the way he drove rather than the clutch being at fault. I think if you are looking at an 06 better to go with the GS which I believe there is a beautiful black one on offer at the moment. If not the 04 is a good buy especially at the price it is going for. Talk to the dealer and see if you can purchase or if they can throw in an extension on warranty for 1 yrs then your worries are put to rest. The only problem is whether they are willing to do it for an 04 car, not sure if theyhave some sort of cut of point. Ifu can get a 1 yr warranty on that 04 then your decision should already be made. Having said that don't expect the maser to be same as a german marque, whichever maser you get be prepared for little quirks and small problems, it may not happen but if it does just expect it and dont get frustrated with the car. If you are not prepared for that then better stick with the germans. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for your invaluable advice...

I will be looking at a few used CC and GS... will let you know the outcome soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts