Maserati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys,

So I took 6 of my 8 plugs out and swapped them with the densos...

Big problem though, plugs 7 and 8 ( 2 closest to the driver on the drivers side) have the top 5mm hex screw heads (where the wrench goes) stripped...AND one bolt on the "maserati" wire cover is snapped off...

This happened either from before I got the car (not likely) or from the dealership I got my service done at (they did a bit of crappy worksmanship, which makes that senario likely).. Plus, thwy had checked my plugs, and they would have mentioned it to me if they HAD been stripped.

Before I go to the service advisor and argue with him, any tips on me just unscrewing them myself? The other bolts were all torqued INSANELY tight...

Any tips?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
if its just the hex end that is stripped then get a pair of vice grips and get the bolt out... if that doesnt work yoou need to get an easy out, drill it and get the bolt out... the boys at tool king or sears can help you with the easy out. afterward put in a new bolt from lowes or home depot

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if its just the hex end that is stripped then get a pair of vice grips and get the bolt out... if that doesnt work yoou need to get an easy out, drill it and get the bolt out... the boys at tool king or sears can help you with the easy out. afterward put in a new bolt from lowes or home depot
Its the top bolt, so there is VERY little space... Should I try to use itty bitty vice grips?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Did you take out the cowling around the engine?

If you do there should be plenty of room to get to that bolt with regular vice grips... It's only about 8 screws and takes about 2 minutes. Check out the manual I sent to you, it shows you the procedure.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the cowling the greyish 4 part plastic stuff around the edge of the engine area? The thing that "covers up" a lot of the electrical stuff?

If so, I did take it off.

If not, I couldnt find "cowling" in the hypothetical manual. :]

Ill attach pictures soon.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
If you removed the cowling you would have had

to remove the piston assembly that holds the hood up and then replaced it after the cowl was out so that the hood would stay up.. Did you have to do that? If so and there is no room, then I would head to tool king for the easy out and a drill. You will need a good drill bit about half the size of the bolt diameter and you will need to drill it dead center so as to not mess up the threading. From there, once you have drilled down a half inch or so in the bolt, take the easy out and extract the bolt.

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Ok guys,

So I took 6 of my 8 plugs out and swapped them with the densos...

Big problem though, plugs 7 and 8 ( 2 closest to the driver on the drivers side) have the top 5mm hex screw heads (where the wrench goes) stripped...AND one bolt on the "maserati" wire cover is snapped off...

This happened either from before I got the car (not likely) or from the dealership I got my service done at (they did a bit of crappy worksmanship, which makes that senario likely).. Plus, thwy had checked my plugs, and they would have mentioned it to me if they HAD been stripped.

Before I go to the service advisor and argue with him, any tips on me just unscrewing them myself? The other bolts were all torqued INSANELY tight...

Any tips?
More from bike repair, but here goes:

#1 = make sure you have a brand new 5mm wrench...

#2 = can't hurt to put a drop or two of penetrating oil on them overnight - might make a little smoke when you start it, but could help loosen things up

#3 = didn't look at the bolts, but if they're 5mm allen bolts, be sure to clean out the hex-shaped hole thoroughly so that the wrench can be seated all the way down

#4 = if hex-shape bolt heads, you can always try one of those wrenches that "self adjust" - I usually would never use them, but if you're stuck with a worn bolt in a "tweener" size, not much to lose

No guarantees that any of the above will work at all, but just some experience from rounded/stripped/seized bolts in the past.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A new wrench is a good suggestion. BUT, don't buy Craftsman. Go for a very high end wrench like SnapOn. The wrenches are cut to a much closer tolerance so they will hold a lot more.

Have you applied ice? This will cause the bolt to shrink ever so slightly and may give you an edge. Laugh if you want but it works, physics is your friend.

I hate easy outs. They often bind and sometimes break making the problem worse. Not to mention they are VERY sensitive to your ability to drill perfectly straight.

Have you tried an impact driver? Manual or power. The sockets are well sized, hardened, and will bite when others won't. Plus, the impact drives the socket down to the very bottom of the head. Often that area isn't stripped like the rest of the head.

You can try an impact socket slightly smaller than ther head, maybe us sizes on metric or vice-versa. If you hammer the socket onto the head you can often get it to bite so that the impact driver will break it loose.

I would explore any option you can find to gain a little more clearance. This will likely get your bolt out with the least risk.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Have you applied ice? This will cause the bolt to shrink ever so slightly and may give you an edge. Laugh if you want but it works, physics is your friend.
That is a great idea - let us know if it works. Bill

·
Registered
329 Posts
nitrogen gas maybe... :D Skid seems certain it will work why not give it a shot Maserboy.
Computer guys at the lab use a spray can of O2 to clean keyboards (blow off dust and crud from in-between the keys). That stuff is REALLY COLD .... might not be as messy as ice. Staples carries the stuff by the case.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hold the can of "air" upside down when you spray so that you're jetting liquid onto the bolt. It'll freeze in a few seconds.

·
Registered
357 Posts
"Freeze Off" wart remover sold over the counter at pharmacies. Really cold stuff.

If possible, heat it some then "shock it" with the cold. Alternate this with applications of penetrating oil and repeat as needed.

The key is to get a good grip with a tight fitting wrench or whatever is possible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts