Maserati Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I know that this has been covered many times before in the forum, but after searching and reading various posts, I'm still not sure whether I have a pump problem or not.

Here's what happened this morning...
unlock car, hear the whirring noise etc as usual.
get in car, start it...put it into reverse and off i go to work.
I decide to change up from 1st to 2nd....it goes straight to neutral...tried it again and again...neutral.
Stopped car (didn't turn it off)...selected 1, fine..engaged off we went. tried 2nd..went back to neutral.
I pulled in at a car park nearby...parked up, put it in neutral. Then tried 1st..stayed in neutral.

It will select reverse though....

Any ideas as to what this might be, or what i should do?

I've read that a battery reset (turn off and back on) might help, or change auto mode, or even replace battery.

I have a suspicion about the battery though and that it may well not be 100%.

thanks.

PS: Car is currently stranded in car park, awaiting further instructions.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi everyone,

I know that this has been covered many times before in the forum, but after searching and reading various posts, I'm still not sure whether I have a pump problem or not.

Here's what happened this morning...
unlock car, hear the whirring noise etc as usual.
get in car, start it...put it into reverse and off i go to work.
I decide to change up from 1st to 2nd....it goes straight to neutral...tried it again and again...neutral.
Stopped car (didn't turn it off)...selected 1, fine..engaged off we went. tried 2nd..went back to neutral.
I pulled in at a car park nearby...parked up, put it in neutral. Then tried 1st..stayed in neutral.

It will select reverse though....

Any ideas as to what this might be, or what i should do?

I've read that a battery reset (turn off and back on) might help, or change auto mode, or even replace battery.

I have a suspicion about the battery though and that it may well not be 100%.

thanks.

PS: Car is currently stranded in car park, awaiting further instructions.
I had this very same thing happen a few months ago. I thought is was the F1 Pump but turned out to be a clutch sensor. Dealer had a hard time diagnosing it. Was about 2K to replace (mostly due to labor cost, not the parts).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that....another question to anyone and everyone out there.

As i can hear the pump whirring away for a few seconds when unlocking the car, does that mean that the relay is working?

I'm trying to do a bit of a process of elimination here myself before forking up a lot of money on unnecessary labour costs.

thnx

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Did you cut off the battery first and then cut it back on... That will reset the computer and might fix the problem..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you cut off the battery first and then cut it back on... That will reset the computer and might fix the problem..
I cut the battery....left it for a while and then back on.
Whirring started straightaway for a short while, reverse works...but no forward gears :-(

So....just wondering whether one of the possibilities is the relay. But if that was shot, wouldn't that mess with the pump?

Really hoping it's not the pump...hence trying to do a bit of elimination here to save some money.

thnx

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Kent Woodworth!

If the pump is running, then stops that means the pressure is built up and the pump is working. Another item that might cause a problem is trash in the lines, which would cause the pump to run, build pressure but no shifting. The relay might also be a possibility, this is not an area I have experience in so....

We need Kent Woodworth to chime in here...

Kent?

Jeff R from Formula Dynamics will have good advice here as well... Jeff?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts