Maserati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
have recently inherited a mexico, lucky me :)
however it is rather old, has not seen any action for many years now, and am not too experienced in this stuff. neither is anyone else in this god forsaken town...
First i was wondering what the specs were for my ride.. how can i tell if it is a 4.7 or 4.2? says is TIPO AM112 ... was hard to tell from internet search.. has borani wheels ....
also was gonna try change battery and check out if she still works.. but um (would you believe i aint blond!) dunno where the it kept...

if anyone can give me a few hints would be great.
Cheers,
Liz

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mexico

Yeah, sorry man, am not thinking of selling. Is a piece of family history, a few memories attached to this one. I'm sure you know what I mean... money value hasn't got anything to compare to that. But given that, for insurance purposes, how much do you rekon this is worth? Is not really in perfect condition or anything, bit of surface rust and all (though I am going to try to fix that up). Am guessing it will have something to do with the engine size (4.7 or 4.2), hence my question on how you can tell them apart.
Just want to get it going, make it look pretty.
So the battery you say is in the boot? Second question, then, um... how does one open the boot?
thanks,
liz

·
Registered
105 Posts
'fraid I don't know much about the Mexico apart from how fantastic it looked in a recent Classic Cars article. Thought it might be of interest to you if you can track it down, it might serve to inspire you as it was the story of a restoration. It might even say where the battery is or how to open the boot ;) It was probably the Jan or Feb issue, I'll take a look at my copy tonight if I can find it.

Classic and Sportscar also featured it in their Apr 2003 issue. This link takes you to their back issue section where you might be able to order a copy which had a 5 page feature. You could have my copy but I'm sure I must have binned it by now.

http://www.classicandsportscar.com/archives_car.asp

Good luck with the project

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Liz I do some seraching for you . Maybe this will help

The 4.7-litre version was fitted with 650 x 15" Boranni chrome wire wheels and the 4.2-litre version with 'disc' wheels.
:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mexico info

Hi Liz,
if you are in the US the person you may want to speak with is Kyle Fleming. he is out of Virginia Beach, VA. i am in the process of restoring my Dad's Mexico...Kyle has been invaluable in this process. There is a guy out in California, Jaques who has a site on Ebay...maseratisource....he has some parts...old and new...he also runs a forum on yahoo for maseratiGT's which is sometimes helpful...other times it's alot of air being blown...MIE tends to be on the expensive side..they will ultimatley have parts that you may need that other people do not...if i can be of help...please feel frree to contact me at your convenience.
Lig

·
Registered
196 Posts
There is www.thecarnut.com. He has extensive info on old masers on his site. He also has cars for sale, and has archived many of previous cars restored and sold. It would be worth your while to check it out.

If you are a novice to car restoration I would advise you to run away from this project. Unless you are independently wealthy ahd nave $20-50k to spend on a restoration. This is not your auntie Edna's slant 6 cylinder Dodge Dart but a low volume Italian exotic. You always find more wrong once you start and have to budget twice the money and three times the time that you think it will cost you. I know that emotions count, I have my dad's old Alfa Giulia, but your dad would not want you to go broke and then end up selling the car anyway.

good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
mexico follow up

i agree that it is expensive to restore a car....it can be painfully expensive..but the from the sound of Liz's first note, the car has sentimental value...as does the mexico i am restoring...not sure if you can put a $ tag on it....if she does it properly, she may be able to avoid filing for chapter 11 ;-)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maserati Mexico...1966

Hello All,

I also am starting a restoration of a Mexico. I'm pretty sure it's a fool's errand, but if I can bring it back to life and break even I'll be happy. I'm working with Mike Wilson Restorations in Visalia, CA, a shop with well over a hundred concourse wins. It will be for sale, or shall I say, is for sale as we work on it. We're carefully sorting out the details, but it hasn't been painted yet and any input from a prospective new owner would be welcome. For instance, what color would you like? Interior is tobacco leather.

I'm especially interested in engine parts, or an entire engine, as this engine will need rings and valves.

Since this is a low volume Italian exotic, I look forward to exchanging any helpful info with anyone!

Thanks,

Chuck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mexico follow up

Hi Liz,
not sure if you are still in the process of restoring your family's Mexico or if you check this website but....just wanted to leave you a quick note...was up at the shop prior to Chrismtas and the mechanic fired up the engine...the smile on my dad's face was priceless....the car is in for final paint this week and will then go for exhaust system followed by interior work...then back to the shop for front and rear windows....will be done over the next month or so.
good luck on your project
ligno

1 - 10 of 10 Posts