Registered
329 Posts
Vazzano777 said:
i wanna know how much hp my car has
how much does it weigh
how much is it worth its in mint cond.

is there a website where i can get aftermarket parts besides maseratinet.com

helppp
I'll answer this backwards. I found Maserinet.com to be very helpful back in the days when I had mine. There are a few other Maserati sources, but were not very helpful with Biturbos back then, probably less helpful now.

Value of the Biturbo even in mint condition is heavily weighted by the "old stigma" of non-reliability that they carried back in the mid-80's when they were imported, and what the market will actually support. I have not seen favorable prices.

Open the driver door and read the weight from the vehicle tag. If I remember correctly the weight was around 3000 pounds.

Horse power was respectable for the time, around 200 HP

I remember my cars as being reliable, I took several long trips and really enjoyed the drive.

If you car is in truely mint condition, keep the car and enjoy it.

In the off chance you are suffering from intermitant "shut down" of the electrics, buy a new fuse box from MIE and replace the one you have in the car now. Very easy to do, because each of the harness connections are unique and it is impossible to mix them up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what else could i do to the engine to upgrade it? as in turbos..... intercooler and all that good stuff... any recomendations?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Vazzano777 said:
what else could i do to the engine to upgrade it? as in turbos..... intercooler and all that good stuff... any recomendations?
in '85 there was an air-to-air intercooler available, need brackets to lower radiator, the temp senders on the thermostat housing will have to be bent to 90 degrees to clear the intercooler intake, the rest is bolt on.
The turbos, (back then) had mechanical waste gate adjustments.
This is the tricky part.... you can manually adjust the turbos so the waste gate stays shut. But when you do, the engine will run hotter - both temp and performance. You will also notice that there is boost at idle (you will have to set idle at around 1150- 1200 RPM).
Also FOLLOW the shut down pocedure that is on the sun visor or you will definately cook the bearings in the turbos.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Vazzano777 said:
would u recomend upgradeing the turbos? and putting an intercooler?
this is beginning to sound like you want to build a "street tuner" Maserati....

·
Registered
28 Posts
I take it you just got this car or found one for sale.

Don't assume that this is like a Honda and you can modify it however you want. It is difficult to do but if that is what you want, by all means have at it.

If you don't mind, please introduce us to your situation (and yourself if you want) and we may all be of more help to you.

BTW, I have a 1987 Biturbo Si.

Also, check to see if you have an "E" model as that is an upgraded car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok here's the thing...... my dad has had the car for years.... it has 34,895 miles on it..... its a 1985 biturbo i'm sure its not an E model...... i would like to tune the car to where its powerful but im not hurting the motor..... i would like to have the motor up to date..... but i dont know what this car could take..... what else should i say?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tuner maserati?

I just found this forum and felt compelled to jump in on this post, forgive the lack of an introduction...
If you really want to get better performance out of your biturbo, try looking outside of making the car go faster. These cars are usually in desperate need for suspension, brake and exhaust updating before you dive into whether or not it's a good idea to throw turbo upgrades on the car.
There aren't a lot of people who are looking to build "bolt-on" performance parts for these cars becuase the market just isn't there. My suggestion is to sit down...write up a dream car outline and start researching who can help you build your car the way you want it.
I have found over the last year that many companies are more than willing to help in custom making the parts you are looking for.
Try www.groundcontrol.com for suspension and Brembo for brakes. Both made custom setups for me.
Remember: If you are going to make your car fast, try making it handle and brake well enough to get you out of a bad situation.
Just my .02. Keep us posted on your progress and good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts