Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. About a month ago, I purchased a 2003 maserati cambio. Yesterday while driving, the Engine control system failure light came on. My local dealer is closed for the weekend and it's driving me nuts. Anyone have any experience with this before or any common problems it may be. I'm scared it may cost and arm and a leg to repair and I just bought the car. Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. About a month ago, I purchased a 2003 maserati cambio. Yesterday while driving, the Engine control system failure light came on. My local dealer is closed for the weekend and it's driving me nuts. Anyone have any experience with this before or any common problems it may be. I'm scared it may cost and arm and a leg to repair and I just bought the car. Thanks in advance for any help!
Don't know if this helps much but;
My engine control light came on. I went to the dealer straight away but on the way the light disappeared. The dealer looked at the codes and said "oh, yeah, we see the problem" and said they had to replace this that and the other thing, including the thermostat" and it will be about $2400 - everything at this dealer seems to be $2400. Said the car would overheat among other things if I didn't take care of it. Having had some experiences with this dealer I passed on this opportunity, thought since the warning had gone out; I'd see what happens. The engine temp had not changed one bit.

I drove for about another 6,000 miles with all normal; including through Palm Springs heat. Engine temps stayed completely stable and unchanged. Then the warning came on again, and was on for about three days or so then went out again. Again, eng temp right where it belonged, just below 195 degrees.

After about another 5,000 miles it came on again and this time it has stayed on for a thousand miles or so. So I'll be taking back to see what they say this time.

Anybody have experiences with this particular warning.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Buy a code reader at your local auto supply place.
Read and record the code, then reset the light.

These cars tend to throw lights more often then most.

If it is a serious problem the code will comeback right away.

·
5,887 Posts
Buy a code reader at your local auto supply place.
+1

Buy an OBD II reader ($50-$100) at your local auto supply store. The interface plug is below the steering wheel. Follow the instructions with you reader and get the code. Look up the code online and you will know what is going on.

Many times, it is just a loose gas cap. I'm not admitting that ever happened to me, just saying... ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
8 times out of 10 it is a false alert, so don't worry too much yet...you should definitely get an OBDII reader, as suggested, so you can "pre-assess" the situation.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
As others stated above, get an OBDII reader, i got one for $80 or so. There are dedicated OBD readers, or ones that allow you to connect your computer to the car. The software reads the code and explains what its all about, with the exception of some manufacturer codes which you'll need to post them here in order to get an answer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok

Ok guys. Thanks for all the help so far. So, last night and drove the car and the light turned off after driving for about 20 minutes. Then today I'm driving and it comes back on. I bought a code reader as everyone suggested and the code is P0071. I can't find anything online about it. Anyone know what that code means?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ok guys. Thanks for all the help so far. So, last night and drove the car and the light turned off after driving for about 20 minutes. Then today I'm driving and it comes back on. I bought a code reader as everyone suggested and the code is P0071. I can't find anything online about it. Anyone know what that code means?
P0071 Ambient Air Temp sensor(Range/Performance/Plausability), the sensor is outside in your driver mirror. Check for proper connection.

·
Registered
681 Posts
This thread is exactly why EVERY Maserati owner should invest in a code reader a $2,400 quote at the dealer ends up being nothing more than an air temp sensor LOL.

·
Vendor
4,731 Posts
I couldn't agree more. Knowledge is your best ally. You may even be able to help your tech by providing useful information!

We now have a line of code readers that are very affordable and work well with the Maserati ( i.e. Tested / Approved ).

They run between $80 - $140 depending on features / functionality. We'll get them up on the site soon, in the mean time, feel free to give us a call or email with any questions.

Best Regards,
-- Jeff

·
Registered
1 Posts
OBDII warning lights.

Auto Zone will perform the diagnostic test and provide the codes-for no charge.
My 04 Spyder Cambrio,with 19000 miles- the OBDII warning light came on, so went to Auto Zone with following results.
I am providing the full report.
I must say however, now that I have the following information-
I kinda feel like the dog chasing the car, even if I caught one, wouldn't know what to do.

I find this info. almost a little overwhelming. I checked the gas cap first thing as recc. by the Maserati Dealer Service Dept. in Dallas, Tx.
Then he said bring it in since that didn't work. My only obstacle-I live in Shreveport, La. The closest dealer is 200 miles west. So not so simple to "bring it in", esp. after reading the post about the $2400 dealer repair.

After reading this,can anyone offer any suggestions. Also, how risky is it to drive with these findings, possibly to Dallas, if not- on a trailer, I guess.
Thanks so very much in advance.
LSU.psych.doc

Code PO491
Definition: Air injection system insufficient flow
BBank 1
Explanation
BBDamaged Air System Components
Probable Cause
BB1-Faulty Air solenoid valve
BB2-Faulty Air system relay

TROUBLESHOOTING N/A
OEM Brand: Domestic
Definition:
BBSecondary Air injection (AIR) system insufficient
BBflow bank 1
Explanation
BBThe ECM detected that was insufficient mass
BBair flow change while the Air pump switching test
Probable Cause:
BB1-Secondary Air Vacuum hoses off or leaking
BB2-Failed diverter valve system
BB3-Failed Air bypass solenoid
BB4-Secondary Air hoses off or damaged.

Info copied as on report.

·
Registered
681 Posts
^ Is the car driving different? Did the shop find any issues?

If the car is driving the same, go ahead and turn the code off. Drive it around and if it comes back on pursue the problem.

It's not uncommon for these cars to throw a random code and there be nothing wrong and not ever throw it again. Over 60,000 miles I had a few check engine lights in my 02 and 06, but never any actual problems, just BS codes.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ignore The Light

I still say ignore the light. I have had it come on, stay on for six months, then go off.

If the gauges are normal, drive!

This light is no different than on any other car. It is government mandated waste of money to monitor pollution control system. My mother's 97 Camry has been running with the CEL on for two years. The mechanic even ignores it.

If it bugs you then get the code reader to clear it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I agree, screw that emissions crap, I took it off my bike (which is for sale on Ebay by the way, under Ducati 748) and I'm sick and tired of hearing about this global warming BS. Dead dinosaurs make for a really good time and you only live once so I say get it on. I have owned my Maser for about a year and it has thrown numerous codes that the techs clear and say "don't even worry about those, false alarm."

·
Registered
681 Posts
I still say ignore the light. I have had it come on, stay on for six months, then go off.
The only issue with this is that when you allow a code to stay on, it sometimes triggers other codes and many codes pile up together and you don't really know what the issue is with your car. Then if you ever have a real problem (and no, temprature and oil pressure don't account for EVERY real problem in your vehicle), you will not be able to get a proper idea of what is wrong because your car will have many codes stored.

The light is not a big deal, it should not cause someone to pull over nor should it be something to completely ignore. It's nice to have clear codes so if you do have something come up, you can at least be prepared. An OBDII scanner is less than $100 and you can carry it in your car and clear codes in less than 2 minutes, with how easy it is to take care of them, I don't see why one would ignore it.

My $0.02

·
Registered
360 Posts
Very helpful thread for this new owner. While driving with the local informal Maserati club yesterday, my "engine / OBDII" light came after about 80 miles of driving. I didn't have my manual with me, but coolant temp, oil pressure and oil level all OK. Continued on home about 40 miles with no apparent problems - other than my own fretting about what might be wrong with me "new" car, what it would cost, etc..

OK, I will buy the recommended OBDII code reader today. But like lsu.psych.doc, I expect that I might still be in the dark as to what it all means.

Thanks t all who have contributed so far.
Jon

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Get the OBDII, hook it up (under dash by your right knee), pull off the code(s) (there may be more than just one), and then post it here and we'll all help you troubleshoot your problem....:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts