Maserati Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 GT Coupe.
I suppose it was only a matter of time until I got a check engine light after only 3 weeks of ownership :confused:
I got the code read and it is a P1554.
It is a manufacturer specific code. Does anyone have a list of what they are?
I've done a search but found no trace. It is a 2 hour drive to the place that sold it to me and I don't want to do any damage to the engine.
Any help gratefully received.

A list of error codes would make a good FAQ

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cruise engaged.

Brilliant.:)
Thankyou.
Does that mean I just have to turn it off?!
I'll go try now.

Is there a comprehensive list of these codes somewhere?
I get the feeling that I'm going to see a few more of them......

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Well with a Maserati you never know...

Change the tail light and then have a go at it... Use your OBD II to erase the codes and then give it a shot...

·
Registered
4 Posts
P1554 code

"Camshaft Position Actuator, Inlet (Bank 1) (P1554) - Possible interruption of the variator actuator control cable ERROR TYPE Open circuit CONDITIONS VERIFICATIONS Wiring/component intactness check. " This happened once before and it was a loose connector on the cam sensor.
Cruise hi is for a different car

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

This reply may be a little late, but people do google around for fault codes. I can at least answer it with confidence for the '06 Gran Sport, which I'd like to think will apply to other GSs from around that era, and possibly other models if you're lucky. The P1554 code is for the cam variator, NOT the cruise control.

The cam variator is the gismo that controls the variable valve timing. A fault on this could be a strictly mechanical failure of the variator itself, an hydraulic problem (oil pressure powers it) or an electrical problem either with its sensor or with its control/actuator circuitry. Faults can also be combined in that an oil leak in the variator itself can drip oil onto the wires and cause electrical connectivity problems.

People will doubtless argue about the severity of a problem with the cam variator. However, even in the best case you'll be stuck with an idiot light not going out on your dashboard, which could mask more severe powertrain problems.

It's my understanding that this motor uses a helical-spline type of variator. Assuming I understand the physics correctly, the guts of the engine typically wouldn't be damaged by a variator failure that results simply in the wrong valve timing. However, the motor could run really badly, and if the variator failed completely on the mechanical side (the spines strip out) then your motor could pretty much be toast (a top end tear-down, and new valves at the minimum).

In my case, heat buildup in that area of the motor caused the electrical connector to soften/melt and fail, so it was really just a sensor failure rather than a failure of the device itself. I learned from my local Maserati/Ferrari mechanic that this is a "known problem" with the motor, and the fix is easy - change the connector, and wrap the whole thing in heat-shield tape. To me, this seems like a time bomb that ought to be better publicised. Five minutes of futzing with a little heat-shield tape now could save you a few hundred bucks worth of debugging/fixing, not to mention down time, if the thing fails.

Now, if someone had just fixed that particular time bomb before I bought the car a few months ago, ....

Lydia

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just got a code P1554 on a 2002 Coupe. No noises or other symptoms. Bank 1 is right (passenger)side - correct? Where is this connector for the cam sensor located?

Advice/info much appreciated.
Charlie

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Bank 1 is indeed on the passenger side. The connector for the variator solenoid is beneath the Black "Maserati" trim plate bolted to the cam cover. You'll find it bunched in with the ignition coil wiring. I've never seen one melt from heat, but the solenoid seals do fail internally, allowing oil to walk through the solenoid and into the connector. Since oil doesn't conduct electricity very well, it kills the signal in the connector as it's trying to contact with the main engine wiring harness.

Disconnecting the plug is tricky, it requires practice and a small 90 degree pick. Open up the connector and shine a light in the female side, inspecting for liquid engine oil build up.

If you find oil, the cam covers must be removed, the solenoid replaced and the cam cover gaskets all replaced as well. If one side is giving you trouble, expect the other side isn't any better and service both solenoids at the same time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
P1554 is for Bank 2

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.