Maserati Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Quattroporte Sport GTS 2012
26 Posts
There is a Maserati fix for this, why not just go for that and be done with it? This is not something new, it’s been around for ages. There is abundant documentation on the various forums as well as a Maserati Technical Bulletin which I have attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your problem sounds incredibly similar to mine. I have a 2009 QP Sport GTS which rattled for 1-2 seconds after I left if for a week or so (though not so aggressively as some videos of variatior noise that I’ve seen). I bit the bullet and took it to the local Maserati dealer for its annual service, and asked them specifically - and paid extra - to inspect and advise me whether I had a variator problem.
Totally expecting bad news, I was amazed when they came back and – in writing – confirmed that I didn’t have a variator problem!
Previously, I drove a race prepared Lotus, which used to rattle on every startup - a similar noise. That noise was reduced by turning on the ignition part-way for a few seconds (before the final turn which engages the starter motor) which let the fuel and oil pumps prime the engine before cranking. It didn’t completely stop the noise, but reduced it quite significantly. And, I thought, it’s not a bad habit to get into anyway!
I now do this with my QP, and hardly notice anything on start up. Peace of mind, as well, with Maserati having told me I don’t have an issue.
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte Sports GTS 2010
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Your problem sounds incredibly similar to mine. I have a 2009 QP Sport GTS which rattled for 1-2 seconds after I left if for a week or so (though not so aggressively as some videos of variatior noise that I’ve seen). I bit the bullet and took it to the local Maserati dealer for its annual service, and asked them specifically - and paid extra - to inspect and advise me whether I had a variator problem.
Totally expecting bad news, I was amazed when they came back and – in writing – confirmed that I didn’t have a variator problem!
Previously, I drove a race prepared Lotus, which used to rattle on every startup - a similar noise. That noise was reduced by turning on the ignition part-way for a few seconds (before the final turn which engages the starter motor) which let the fuel and oil pumps prime the engine before cranking. It didn’t completely stop the noise, but reduced it quite significantly. And, I thought, it’s not a bad habit to get into anyway!
I now do this with my QP, and hardly notice anything on start up. Peace of mind, as well, with Maserati having told me I don’t have an issue.
Hope that helps!
You just made my day! It sounds like a very similar problem to what I am having. The rattle is occasional and I didn’t think it was work spending $17,000 on the repair. I thought priming the oil pump and fuel pump was only necessary in the dry sump 4.2L engines, not the 4.7L wet sump like the ones on our cars because it has no oil pump as far as I know? But if you say that this has worked for you then it’s worth a try and will see how I go.

5,822 Posts
Some of you guys crack me up...??? how is the mechanical oil pump supposed to prime if you don't crank the car??? Engine oil pumps are mechanically driven and if you don't know that then I would pump the brakes on any advice...Most I see here is totally incorrect..
:rolleyes:

Reactions: Catmanv2
5,822 Posts
Hope that helps!
The oil pump doesn't prime itself and is mechanically driven...Whatever you are doing is most likely going on in your head...Jason

·
Registered
158 Posts
BTW here is the Maserati bulletin re variators and a note that the models with vin after those indicated had the modded caps or variators installed at assembly. file:///C:/Users/SONY/Desktop/maserati%20bulletin%20200919_noisy_timing_variators.pdf

·
Registered
Quattroporte Sport GTS 2012
26 Posts
BTW here is the Maserati bulletin re variators and a note that the models with vin after those indicated had the modded caps or variators installed at assembly. file:///C:/Users/SONY/Desktop/maserati%20bulletin%20200919_noisy_timing_variators.pdf
That link is on your own computer so doesnt work….I already posted the bulletin in post 21…

5,822 Posts
That bulletin as well me explaining the difference between the wet and dry sump systems is searchable on here... People get the two mixed up and don't know what system they have ...The cars with the variator issue everyone is talking about is gonna be wet sump automatic cars until the updated parts were installed at the factory..Dry sump cars are a different deal and don't have as many issues...J

Reactions: Catmanv2
21 - 30 of 30 Posts