Maserati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Friends,

I'm undergoing a NaviPlus install for a 2012 QP. I tried searching here and youtube and only found instructions on how to remove the center panel for the 2004-2008 (nothing for 2009-2013)

I tried by best to follow the old instructions and did the following first.

1) Used a soft plastic removal tool to remove the shifter indicator (instructions here)
2) Unplugged the two connectors (shown in instructions above)
3) Unscrewed the bolt under the shift indicator tool (be careful not to drop the screw when pulling out)
4) Took out ashtray (pops right out) - removed screw out underneath it.
5) Took out rubber padding on cup holders, unscrew two bolts using an Allen wrench under the two cup holders #3, #4

After all this, the trim is still stuck.

I noticed 3 holes in A, B, C, not sure if I have to unscrew those next?

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
There are two clips at the base on each side. Carefully pry them out.
4AA3E148-24DA-4DED-ABF8-5608218071E3.jpeg

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
There are two clips at the base on each side. Carefully pry them out.
View attachment 127417 View attachment 127417 View attachment 127418
Thanks again for your time @Cynabar , looking at my console, I just need to remove the top part, do you know how this is done?

I removed the 4 screws (2 under cup holder, 1 under shift indicator light, and 1 under cig lighter) - the top panel is still super tight, not sure what step I'm missing. Sounds like based on this video, it should come right out, not sure if it's just sticky and I need to be more forceful. I did notice however the video was for the pre-refresh Maserati QP 2004-2008, notably, he didn't mention any plug under the shift unit

Also looks like if the 09-13 QPs are the same as the 04-08 - I should be set, can anyone confirm?

Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
The top part is secured by screws from underneath. You need to remove the whole unit by sliding it up over the shift lever (after pulling the shift knob off).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The top part is secured by screws from underneath. You need to remove the whole unit by sliding it up over the shift lever (after pulling the shift knob off).
Thanks @Cynabar for your time, I really appreciate it. Does the gear shift twist off or is it just a straight pop off from top?

Cheers

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered a bunch of putty knives, I hear that the leather gets stuck together, I"m thinking that might be an issue to. Once I get everything done, I'll make sure to do a stop by step guide for the community.

CHeers

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wanted to give the community an update. So the 4 (see #1,#2, #3,#4 in photo in first post of this thread) screws are the only thing connecting that top unit to the body. What you need to do is buy a (important: Rounded Corner-so you don't harm leather) scrapers/putty knives. You slide them in the cracks. What happens over time is the leather sort of 'melds' into each other so it gives the feeling that there is more bolts/nuts attaching the unit to the car. After you slide the putty knives in all the joints, it separates them.

Key tips
1) TAKE YOUR TIME. It's not a job meant to be rushed. It's easy but you should be gentle to prevents scratches
2) BUY ROUNDED SCRAPERS corners and don't be too forceful (You will ruin the leather if you are) - just be gentle and to repeated strokes within the gaps
3) Shift Knob pops right off (no need to twist/turn) just a gentle tug

I'm in the process of installing the Naviplus system and in deep in the process. I will be providing a primer. IN the meantime if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, happy to help the community.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
P.S. this is a good time to consider sending to StickyRX for button refinishing if required.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just wanted to give an update, installed the NaviPlus and got everything running.

It was not easy and it takes A LOT OF TIME. It involves tons of wires, connections, and awkward positions. I'll try to write up a primer when I get a chance, but feel free to message me if you have a question.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How to remove center console dashbard panel 2009-2013 QP

Step 1 - Remove the gear shift indicator module (here is a video)

Step 2 - unscrew 4 bolts from center tunnel panel (here is a video - Video for some reason only shows 3 of the 4 bolts, they skip the bolt under the shift indicator, This video also says you need to unbend the wires, you don't need to do that, see tep 4 below))
Bolt Locations
a) Under Shift Indicator
b) Under Cigarette Ash tray
c) Under Left Cup holder
d) Under Right Cup Holder

Step 3 - Use flat scrapers with rounded corners to pry the center tunnel panel away the bottom tunnel

Step 4 - Remove the gear shift by popping it out straight up

Step 5 - Use hooked wires to pry the top vents out. Basically insert them and turn them so the hooks catch onteh center module, and pop it righto out.

Step 6 - There are 2 screws at the bottom and 2 screws at the top - unscrew these, and you'll be able to access the whole center panel. (Video from #2 shows the locations)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The rest of the Naviplus install just has you plugging in about 10 wires into various modules, locations, and areas. It's very tedious and time consuming. I would recommend you devote at least a full 8 hours on the job.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are the schematics to install.

Where plugs should go
The Aux Cable (Q) goes into the glove compartment (accessible through a hole in the back of the center console
Red Power cable "G" goes to camera unit (I crimped them together)

Out of center shift console is USB port to phone, extra switch, and microphone

All Plugs Labeled

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Install continuation.

Pro Tip (LABEL ALL SCREWS and STORE IN SEPARATE LABELED BOXES, you will have a myriad of screws and washers and they all look the same, Save time and be tidy with the screws - you'll thank yourself when putting back together)

After you take out the center console:
1) Make sure you label with a tape where each wire goes, this will save you a lot of time when you put everything back
2) Unplug all the wires
a) One wire goes for the Hazard light
b) One wire goes into the climate control system
c) Radio has 1 huge harness plug, 3 wire plugs at the bottom, 1 video plug, and one interface plug
d) Nav screen has 2 plugs (1st goes into the main wire harness, 2nd goes to radio unit)
3) One plug to left 4 button array, one plug to right 4 button array
4) One plug to clock

Once you unplug everything you can take the whole middle panel out.

There are 8 screws that attach a frame on the back of the panel, unscrew these and take it off. The radio has 2 screws and 4 braces that attach it to the middle panel. Unscrew the 2 radio bolts and use a screw driver to carefully push the 4 braces it, this will allow you to slide the radio out of the chassis.

Once you have everything out, look at the above diagram and you'll be able to generally figure out what connections go where. One good thing is most connections are uni-size, as in - they will only fit one place.

Kudos to NaviPlus folks in Australia. They were ALWAYS quick to respond with detailed responses and friendly emails. They were always helpful and professional.

TIP#2

DO NOT PUT EVERYTHING BACK until you know everything is working as it should, you should have stuff connected and test everything before you bolt everything back together.

I'll talk about the Rear Camera next...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
2 Participants
paulchua
Maserati Forum
We’re a forum to discuss the Maserati Coupé, Spyder, GranTurismo, Ghibli, Quattroporte and more!
Full Forum Listing