Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at 2003-2005 Spyders for some time, preferably low mileage, one owner vehicles with some degree of maintenance history. Maserati of San Fran has a certified 2004 Spyder, 17K miles in Alfie Gray that they have previously sold and are selling on consignment for their customer. Seems fairly well loaded and the price was reduced recently by $6.5K to $53K. I still think the mileage is a little high and all I know is that it has been driven by a female and that the 18K mile service has not been performed. The dealer has stated that they do not know the remaining clutch life and won't do so on a "whim" (exact words) unless I make an offer. This seems a little odd to me, as I've read on numerous occasions and have spoken to a couple dealers that have either replaced the clutch as part of a scheduled maintenance and/or knew what the remaining clutch life was, based on inspection. What the hell do you get when a vehicle is deemed certified and why would they be so secretive with this info? I would consider the car if I knew the clutch was replaced, pump, etc. but I'm not getting a good vibe. Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations? Sales are still slow, the winter is fast approaching, warranties are expiring and new models are right around the corner. I'm still inclined to wait it out until winter and see how 2005 prices adjust.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've been looking at 2003-2005 Spyders for some time, preferably low mileage, one owner vehicles with some degree of maintenance history. Maserati of San Fran has a certified 2004 Spyder, 17K miles in Alfie Gray that they have previously sold and are selling on consignment for their customer. Seems fairly well loaded and the price was reduced recently by $6.5K to $53K. I still think the mileage is a little high and all I know is that it has been driven by a female and that the 18K mile service has not been performed. The dealer has stated that they do not know the remaining clutch life and won't do so on a "whim" (exact words) unless I make an offer. This seems a little odd to me, as I've read on numerous occasions and have spoken to a couple dealers that have either replaced the clutch as part of a scheduled maintenance and/or knew what the remaining clutch life was, based on inspection. What the hell do you get when a vehicle is deemed certified and why would they be so secretive with this info? I would consider the car if I knew the clutch was replaced, pump, etc. but I'm not getting a good vibe. Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations? Sales are still slow, the winter is fast approaching, warranties are expiring and new models are right around the corner. I'm still inclined to wait it out until winter and see how 2005 prices adjust.
Keep looking . . .

·
Registered
133 Posts
That's odd indeed. Getting an estimated clutch life is not hard. All you need to do is get a diagnostic computer connected to the car, I believe. I could be wrong though. Even with a visual inspection getting clutch life estimate is not hard. If you want the car tell them without it there will not be an offer, if they refuse, keep looking!

·
Registered
835 Posts
...I'm still inclined to wait it out until winter and see how 2005 prices adjust...
that little voice tells me prices on 2005 spyders will double next year :D

I would suggest the same, keep looking. Coupes and GS's are much better than the convertibles.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. It turns out that the car is NOT certified and that they made an error. We'll see where this goes.

As for statement about coupes and Gransports being better, I can understand the comment from a pure driving experience, but I'm really looking for a convertible with some muscle and style. I guess you sacrifice a little for an open top.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts