Maserati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

First of all, thank you for providing the most valuable resource on the planet when it comes to the most beautiful cars on the earth - I just found you all!!

I need your help & advice as I haven't slept in days.......I have $55k saved up and have my heart set on buying a pre-owned maserati but I have no clue what to buy - the only criteria is that it must have 4 seats (planning to have a family within next 9 few months)

Having always driven company cars for the past 20 years, I must shamefully admit that I am completely clueless :confused: about buying a car, let alone a Maser. Do I buy from a dealer given the delicate nature of the car? Do I risk going private? Do I buy older and save the rest of the cash for service? Should I wait another 6 months and save up another $5k and go for a GS? What should I buy? Extended Warranty?

Questions..Questions....too many of them without answers.......I have searched on the forum but am getting more confused the more info I find....

HELP!!

a Grateful So Cal Insomniac

·
Registered
94 Posts
Based upon what you've said, the Spyder is definitely out (2 seats versus 4).

Also, it depends upon whether you want to pay cash or use the $55K as a down payment. I'd look from '05 to newer for a Coupe, and expect to pay approximately $65-70K, depending on the vehicle. Look for low mileage and routine maintenance. Probably best to work with a dealer, although there are some good deals when working with private sellers.

If you're looking for a 4 door, then the Quattraporte is the way to go. $55K is a good down payment.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you go private, I would recommend getting it 'inspected' by a certified dealer. Thats what I did, cost me $250 but helped me sleep better considereing I was spending 75K.
The GS is awesome, I would go for the if you need the four seats.

·
Registered
793 Posts
.......I have $55k saved up and have my heart set on buying a pre-owned maserati but I have no clue what to buy - the only criteria is that it must have 4 seats (planning to have a family within next 9 few months)
Since you have no prior Maserati experience before that $55K burns a hole in your pocket I would suggest you start doing a good bit of research on the car and its issues.

W/O prior experience of a car you could have a very bad experience that would turn your away from make, and it's possible with proper diligence you can avoid that.

You need to know about the DuoSelect transmission, its issues, and repair costs, because that can be a big negative.

There are other issues that could also be of value about which you should know.

Maserati's, Ferrari's, etc., are not you average or "Honda" type cars. You need to know what your are buying.

I would also suggest that rather than invest that $55K into the car as a lump sum that you consider financing your first Maserati so that if you decide to dump out of it you will not have not gone through a large amount of cash that could prove valuable for other purposes.

Be knowledgeable. Best insurance.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You should be able to find a 2005 GS with lo miles under 10k for the 55 price real soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts