Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
by deciding the right car for her.;)

She has decided she wants a Maserati. So I am trying to determine the most appropriate year/model/options for her. I have been lurking around here for a few days and have learned just enough to confuse myself. I am having some trouble sorting out the different models and how they are compare. GT, GS, CC(?) Cambiocorsa, coupe blah blah blah. Were some offered in some years and not others?

Here is what she wants: coupe priced under 50k with manual 6spd.

So, from what have learned I am leaning towards a 2005 or 2006 and I just cant figure out if I am looking for a GT, GS, or smething else (??) and what the difference is between them.

Here is a little about us:
This will be our first exotic.
We are in Dallas, Texas so I am not sure if there are any considerations (specific to Texas heat...) we need to take into account. I have seen a few Texans and Dallasites around here "howdy"
My wife is about 5-2" and seems to feel comfortable sitting in Maser but she has yet to drive one. Any other "short" drvers out there?
This car will be her daily driver. And my weekend car :).

I still have alot to learn about PPI and the intricacies of buying a car in another state, inspecting and shipping but I am sure I that info is here on the forum for me to find. I'll get to that when I narrow the search to a year and model.

So all that being said, can someone educate me on the differet models in different years and what are the body style changes/mechanical changes in different years? Or point me in the direction of this info?

** Just found this in another thread. This is the type of info i am looking for...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Coupe CambioCorsa model stopped production in 2005. 2005-2006 had a GranSport model with the "cambiocorsa" transmission (F1 paddle shift). In 2007 the two door body was changed and was renamed the GranTurismo, it has an automatic transmission (still has paddle shifters but it's now linked to an auto tranny with a torque convertor as opposed to the sequential double clutch system the cambiocorsa is)

·
Registered
793 Posts
You would be well off to take your time to learn the different models and their quirks.

Jumping into a new (for you) manufacturer's products can be daunting as you have expressed but it can also be suicide if you are uninformed.

There is a great deal to learn and go slow! Divorce is expensive.

Maybe a few of the wizards here can enlighten you a bit but YOU need to be well informed.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
by deciding the right car for her.;)
Here is what she wants: coupe priced under 50k with manual 6spd.
quite simple now.
narrow your search to coupe with manual transmission.
pick out the one with the best combination of color, mileage, history, and price.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The GranTurismo is not a new body for the GranSport, its a new car from the ground up. You will not find one for under 50k, or an '05 or '06, as they just came out in 2007 at 110k + .

Im not familiar with the older models, as im a newer Maser enthusiast, but you are definitley in the right place to find the answers you are looking for.

Good luck! :D

·
Vendor
4,728 Posts
As was stated you will be limited significanty by the manual transmission requirement. Your only real choices are the Coupe GT. Take a look around, you should find them for under 50K.

Best Regards

·
Registered
695 Posts
The '05-'06 GS stands for GranSport and has some suspension/motor/exhausts tweaks, exterior aerodynamic aids, and a different interior that distinguishes it from the regular Coupes & Spyders CCs. It is considered the 'sportiest' iteration.

Generally, the Coupe/Spyders are the same from 2002 till 2004, other than the usual production updates. The CC designated tranny (think Ferrari F-1) is the more common, so you will have to look a little harder/longer for a GT (6MT)

2005 introduced revise front and rear bumpers on the Coupe/Spyders

2006: Maserati N.America imported quite a few Coupe GTs. We call these "strippers" because the cars are completely stock - no options whatsoever. (Although a no optioned Maser is still nicely equipped). These strippers are usually black on black.

2006: I believe I did see a few '06 Coupe CC on the dealer floors and they had the Vintage Pak. (a retro chrome trim option)

Overall my wife does like the CambioCorsa tranny. And she can drive stick. (Although, to be fair, neither the wife nor I have driven a Maser with the 6MT)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Here is a little about us:
This will be our first exotic.
IMHO, the most important goal is to buy the most recent Maser that you can afford. i.e. has a warranty left. That way you will have a buffer to discover the pleasure/frustration differences between Italian quirk versus actual failure. These cars are not Toyota/Hondas. Exotics are not more reliable because they cost XXXX times more than a Corolla.

And remember that just because you can pick up a $100K car for $50K, that doesn't mean labor/parts is 50% cheaper too. You will be visiting a Ferrari Dealer Service area. (At least till you find a good indie, or do some of the maint. yourself)

·
Registered
402 Posts
2006: Maserati N.America imported quite a few Coupe GTs. We call these "strippers" because the cars are completely stock - no options whatsoever. (Although a no optioned Maser is still nicely equipped). These strippers are usually black on black.
So youre saying he should get a "stripper" to please his wife??

PC tells me not to touch the last sentence :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The stripper is starting to look like the right way to go. I can do without the Navigation so what else is the stripper lacking that people find of value? Are there any aftermarket additions/alterations that are preferred? I guess exhaust would be one high on the list for some owners. What else?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The stripper is starting to look like the right way to go. I can do without the Navigation so what else is the stripper lacking that people find of value? Are there any aftermarket additions/alterations that are preferred? I guess exhaust would be one high on the list for some owners. What else?
You are right, if stick-shift is a must-have your only option is the Coupe GT (stripper).

All the aftermarket mods you need can be found at www.formuladynamiscs.com

IMO the main mods for a manual trans cars are:

1-Springs
2-Exhaust - muffler
3-Exhaust - x-pipe
4-Air Filter
5-Performance Chip
6-Etc.

For the CC cars the Drive-by-wire is on the top of my list.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have a stripper myself. The only OEM part I would like is heated seats, but this may not be a biggie in Texas.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
2006: I believe I did see a few '06 Coupe CC on the dealer floors and they had the Vintage Pak. (a retro chrome trim option)
Vintage pak was available 2004-2006, though what was included varies by year.

Also, note the GS/90th Spyder are available with CC only, not 6MT. So GS not an option if he wants 6MT.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have already located one for $52k, but I have not thoroughly inspected it yet. I am not in any hurry either, so waiting till spring is no problem.

·
5,887 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Coupe GT most likely. He did say he wanted a stick.
Fixer-You really should try out a CC car too. Drive a GS or a later coupe as well before you make the decision. You did say you have time. Everyone says the Nav sucks so don't worry about missing out on that.
The sport seats are a big deal. They are super nice. Unlikely to find a coupe GT with them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts