Maserati Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Porsche is on it's way to DC and my new (to me) 2004 coupe cc is headed to Austin and arrives on Friday! I've never even been in a Maser before and have never driven a f1 tranny either so I'm am a little nervous about it. When it is in front of my house are their any tricks to starting it? I can picture sitting in it, turning the key and nothing happening. Oh and my wife laughing hysterically in the background. I can put a key in the ignition :) but does the F1 need to be in neutral to start and if so, um how do I get it there? To upshift I use the right paddle and downshift the left? Any other tips as I take her out for our first drive? Sorry for being such a noob but any suggestions you have will be really appreciated!

Ivan

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello Ivan and congrags on your purchase. As all of us you are going to love your maserati!!

In order to save face, put the car in neutral by pushing forward the two paddles, then turn the key and listen to the music of your new V8. I didnt know that and i had a friend in the car...as you can imagine it was very embarassing sitting in the car like an idiot!!

Apart from that try to always use the car in the "manual" mode with the sport button to save your clutch.

I'm sure other people with more experience will post replies as well.

Welcome to the forum!

Marios

·
Registered
54 Posts
Put your foot on the brake

My Porsche is on it's way to DC and my new (to me) 2004 coupe cc is headed to Austin and arrives on Friday! I've never even been in a Maser before and have never driven a f1 tranny either so I'm am a little nervous about it. When it is in front of my house are their any tricks to starting it? I can picture sitting in it, turning the key and nothing happening. Oh and my wife laughing hysterically in the background. I can put a key in the ignition :) but does the F1 need to be in neutral to start and if so, um how do I get it there? To upshift I use the right paddle and downshift the left? Any other tips as I take her out for our first drive? Sorry for being such a noob but any suggestions you have will be really appreciated!

Ivan
Also, sometimes the the engine doesn't start turning over right away (on my '04 CC anyway) with the key in the starting position, it sometimes takes an extra second or two so be patient.

I personally never downshift coming to a stop unless I need the extra horsepower.

When stopping the car, just put the e-brake on and turn it off - no need to put in neutral or anything else.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Turn the key to the first "click"

then wait a second or two before cranking the engine. This gets the fuel and oil pumps a chance to prime. Think about the transmission as a manual, not an automatic, so drive it like you would a stick with a clutch pedal; lift off the accelerator slightly when you shift gears up - that'll make for a much smoother shift with less head-jerk - and then "blip" the gas a touch if you're downshifting, which also smooths out the gear transition.

There's a lever on the center console for reverse. Gently, and I do mean gently, lift up on that lever and move backwards (toward the rear of the car) to put it in reverse. Try to avoid reversing a lot, and certainly avoid reversing up an incline, as this causes considerable clutch wear. F1 transmissions were not designed to go backwards (which, as has been mentioned on this forum, is why the race cars are pushed when backing-up).

Now, enjoy your new baby. Your life has just changed. Don't be surprised if the sky is bluer, music more lovely to your ears, and your wife more interesting than she already is.

;)

·
Registered
581 Posts
For that first drive or two I would put it in automatic just to get the feel for the car so you don't have too many things going on. I drove mine for a hundred miles or so in automatic just to get the feel for it - like where the blind spots are etc. Then you can start playing with the paddles out on the highway and so on. As soon as you use the paddles while in automatic it will switch to manual so if you want to get back to automatic you have to press the automatic button again. Just think of it as the manual clutch that it is and you will be fine. No hanging on the clutch like an automatic. You either go or you don't! I usually shift up around 4,000-4,500 RPM and down below 3,000. Don't despair I think we all had a little bit of a learning curve on the F1 tranny so just keep driving and after a while you will be zipping around town like a pro. I love it now that the muscle memory in that right foot has been fine tuned. Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6082

This thread has a lot of good advise.:D

·
Registered
255 Posts
put the car in neutral by pushing forward the two paddles,
Marios

Small point, but to avoid embarrassment I would suggest PULLING both paddles at once to get into neutral!

·
Registered
439 Posts
First off. Congrats on your new purchase!!
then wait a second or two before cranking the engine. This gets the fuel and oil pumps a chance to prime. Think about the transmission as a manual, not an automatic, so drive it like you would a stick with a clutch pedal; lift off the accelerator slightly when you shift gears up - that'll make for a much smoother shift with less head-jerk - and then "blip" the gas a touch if you're downshifting, which also smooths out the gear transition.

There's a lever on the center console for reverse. Gently, and I do mean gently, lift up on that lever and move backwards (toward the rear of the car) to put it in reverse. Try to avoid reversing a lot, and certainly avoid reversing up an incline, as this causes considerable clutch wear. F1 transmissions were not designed to go backwards (which, as has been mentioned on this forum, is why the race cars are pushed when backing-up).

Now, enjoy your new baby. Your life has just changed. Don't be surprised if the sky is bluer, music more lovely to your ears, and your wife more interesting than she already is.

;)
As much as A noob as I am, I'd like to think I've learned alot about these cars in the past 3 months on my research of them.
For that reason, I'd have to disagree with the above^^ on shifting.

I have read numerous times, and been told to not lift off the accelerator while shifting gears. As mentioned, I am fairly new here, so....... anyone else to either confirm or disagree with there knowledge and/or experience is appreciated.

all point, but to avoid embarrassment I would suggest PULLING both paddles at once to get into neutral!
Agreed^^ > Pull both paddles towards you.

·
Registered
859 Posts
For that first drive or two I would put it in automatic just to get the feel for the car so you don't have too many things going on. I drove mine for a hundred miles or so in automatic just to get the feel for it - like where the blind spots are etc. Then you can start playing with the paddles out on the highway and so on. As soon as you use the paddles while in automatic it will switch to manual so if you want to get back to automatic you have to press the automatic button again. Just think of it as the manual clutch that it is and you will be fine. No hanging on the clutch like an automatic. You either go or you don't! I usually shift up around 4,000-4,500 RPM and down below 3,000. Don't despair I think we all had a little bit of a learning curve on the F1 tranny so just keep driving and after a while you will be zipping around town like a pro. I love it now that the muscle memory in that right foot has been fine tuned. Enjoy!!!
No automatic! Not even for that.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It'll start in gear if you put your foot on the brake too.
Just put the sucker in sport and floor it, pull the right side paddle back at about 6500 rpm, keep doing that until you reach your desired cruising velocity, say about 160 or so. hehehe.
Enjoy the car!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Ivan congrats! I'm in Austin too and still looking for the right coupe. Got my eye on a few and hopefully once my business stabilizes in the next few months I'll pull the trigger. I have seen a handful of Qports but never a coupe here yet. We'll have to go for a drive once I get mine.

Congrats again,

Drew

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
All great tips. To summarize - just three steps:

1) Foot on brake
2) Key in ignition and twist forward till it stops
3) Push the blue start button until you hear engine turn over and fire up & then release button

Your options then:
  • Make sure Sport mode is on (or "Power" depending on year) You WANT to drive in this mode all the time UNLESS you want to quiet the exhaust down and soften the ride
  • Don't drive in AUTO - you'll shorten the clutch life
  • As others have said, use reverse VERY judiciously - clutch wear issues
  • PULL back on both paddles at same time for NEUTRAL
  • If you are stopped & in NEUTRAL, you MUST press brake to shift to 1st
  • If aggressively accelerating, don't lift on gas when shifting
  • It's OK to go to NEUTRAL when coming to a stop - just remember to touch brake to re-engage gear
  • When coming to stop, it's OK to downshift yourself OR let the F1 computer do it for you
  • There may be some nominal clutch life savings by going to NEUTRAL when slowing to a stop but, it's WAY cool to hear the throttle blips when you downshift manually

And most of all, note that it's completely normal to have a SH*T eating grin when you're driving the Maser. It never goes away - get used to it.

-V

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Something we've mentioned in other threads but wasn't very clear in this case:

1) When starting engine in 1st gear, the engine starts with a 2 second delay, which is normal since the car goes to neutral for a second and back to 1st.

2) You may put it neutral yourself and then start the engine, which won't cause the 2 second delay because you've already placed it in neutral, but will stay in neutral after starting it.

Either way is ok, makes no real difference, don't be alarmed of the delay.

PS:
in newer Cambiocorsa software updates, the delay is down to 1 second or so.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow! Thanks everyone for your tips! This really is a great board and it's awesome how many people were willing to give advice! She'll be here the day after tomorrow...I can't wait!

·
Registered
225 Posts
The truth about shifting.

I've read conflicting information now about whether to ease off on the throttle slightly when up-shifting a CC. If, in fact, this is a manual transmission with an electronic clutch, it stands to reason you would drive it as such. That means let off the throttle when you shift just as you do with a manual clutch and stick, right? I mean, you don't keep your foot all the way down on the accerator with a non-CC manual tranny when you find the next gear. Certainly with a CC you have to tromp on the gas again after the shift so as not to feather the clutch, but there shouldn't be any additional wear on the plate by letting off the juice a bit to smooth things out. Frankly, this also eliminates the annoying head bob at every shift.

Can one of our expert mechanics chime in on this issue please? Is there a reason to not drive it this way?:confused:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
ah yeah siouxxxzennn is right, don't trust the hand brake, it Doesn't Work(TM)!

Maserati mechanic told me when i asked about the hand brakes that don't work that "our cars are made to be driven, not to be parked".

also, thats why the car will BEEP when you park it in neutral, it reminds you to always engage 1st, because they know the hand brake won't work.

in addition, you should know that the GranSport should not be parked on steep inclines because 1st gear will actually turn the engine!!! So your either put a rock behind the tires so it doesn't roll or just don't park on steep inclines.

you've been warned :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ivan congrats! I'm in Austin too and still looking for the right coupe. Got my eye on a few and hopefully once my business stabilizes in the next few months I'll pull the trigger. I have seen a handful of Qports but never a coupe here yet. We'll have to go for a drive once I get mine.

Congrats again,

Drew
Drew,

Let me know when things stabilize for you. I still have mine. It is going in for the service next week. I will be moving to the burbs in a few weeks so the car will be parked in the garage, since I am buying a beater to drive to work everyday. If the clutch needs to be done, I will most likely keep the car.

Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Vincenzo should know better,,,,,

Hello Vincenzo, just a few small corrections....
1 The sport versus power button is nothing to do with the year, its whether you have SKYHOOK or not, Sport=Skyhook, power=no skyhook

2 The blue starting button is only on the gransport.

3 Never use sport mode in the rain, ice/snow or poor traction conditions (the traction control is at a lowerr level and can cause serious skidding situations, read about this in the owners manual)

All great tips. To summarize - just three steps:

1) Foot on brake
2) Key in ignition and twist forward till it stops
3) Push the blue start button until you hear engine turn over and fire up & then release button

Your options then:
  • Make sure Sport mode is on (or "Power" depending on year) You WANT to drive in this mode all the time UNLESS you want to quiet the exhaust down and soften the ride
  • Don't drive in AUTO - you'll shorten the clutch life
  • As others have said, use reverse VERY judiciously - clutch wear issues
  • PULL back on both paddles at same time for NEUTRAL
  • If you are stopped & in NEUTRAL, you MUST press brake to shift to 1st
  • If aggressively accelerating, don't lift on gas when shifting
  • It's OK to go to NEUTRAL when coming to a stop - just remember to touch brake to re-engage gear
  • When coming to stop, it's OK to downshift yourself OR let the F1 computer do it for you
  • There may be some nominal clutch life savings by going to NEUTRAL when slowing to a stop but, it's WAY cool to hear the throttle blips when you downshift manually

And most of all, note that it's completely normal to have a SH*T eating grin when you're driving the Maser. It never goes away - get used to it.

-V

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.